Interesting Topic on Human Strength

BUFORDGAWOLVES

28 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

This is an interesting read. Always wondered what top strongmen were capable of in certain situations.

Isn't it crazy, it appears mental then add genetics and you got a berserker....

Cool article, at 1st I was irritated that the author kept breaking away from the 13 year old and the tractor... but it made sense to explain the how and why of it all.

Regards,

BGW

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Cool article, at 1st I was irritated that the author kept breaking away from the 13 year old and the tractor... but it made sense to explain the how and why of it all.

Regards,

BGW

All strength is psychophysiological, as that is the platform it is produced in.

Many physical changes occur during strength and energy releases and many athletes have used techniques to invoke actual physical changes to produce more strength, stamina etc.  As example almost anyone can easily learn to control heart rate and breathing etc.

Most of these stories my guess is to attribute it to massive adrenaline boosts given the fear of the situation.  Seems only logical to be able to train oneself to "put their mind in a massive state of fear" to be able to reproduce.

I posted a clip a little while back (essentially today's vs yesterday's athletic performance) that comes to mind. It touched on the point that when you see someone fly thru the air from an electric shock it's their own muscles that launches them and not the bolt, so the mechanics are there...  the thought is that our minds train our bodies, or only  throws as much 'energy' (for lack of a better term) as the mind perceives 'safe' from essentially shattering your own bones...

I tend to agree with all of this, as I could show you how to hold someone's hand in such a way that most people would not be able to lay a finger on you.... as any movement would be met with instant knowledge of bone breakable pain....

Now you may say that it is just a finger or hand....and I would be dead....but the mind (and body) does not work that way. You will not be able to throw a punch with your free hand.

That's my 2 cents anyways...

a decent thread BTW 👍

BTW: those Berserkers sound like they are simply hopped up on some kind of medieval "angel dust"....with their minds  'feelin no pain'... not the first or last time soldiers would hop up on mind painkillers for battle...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Troll said:

Many physical changes occur during strength and energy releases and many athletes have used techniques to invoke actual physical changes to produce more strength, stamina etc.  As example almost anyone can easily learn to control heart rate and breathing etc.

Most of these stories my guess is to attribute it to massive adrenaline boosts given the fear of the situation.  Seems only logical to be able to train oneself to "put their mind in a massive state of fear" to be able to reproduce.

I posted a clip a little while back (essentially today's vs yesterday's athletic performance) that comes to mind. It touched on the point that when you see someone fly thru the air from an electric shock it's their own muscles that launches them and not the bolt, so the mechanics are there...  the thought is that our minds train our bodies, or only  throw as much 'energy' (for lack of a better term) as the mind perceives 'safe' from essentially shattering your own bones...

I tend to agree with all of this, as I could show you how to hold someone's hand in such a way that most people would not be able to lay a finger on you.... as any movement would be met with instant knowledge of bone breakable pain....

Now you may say that it is just a finger or hand....and I would be dead....but the mind (and body) does not work that way. You will not be able to throw a punch with your free hand.

a decent thread BTW 👍

BTW: those Berserkers sound like they are simply hopped up on some kind of medieval "angel dust"....with their minds  'feelin no pain'... not the first or last time soldiers would hop up on mind painkillers for battle...

Actually three emojis for your post....😎😲 and 😃.

Now the hand thing I don't believe but your avatar convinced me otherwise....💀

BGW

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:59 PM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Actually three emojis for your post....😎😲 and 😃.

Now the hand thing I don't believe but your avatar convinced me otherwise....💀

BGW

Essentially you cup someone else's thumb in your palm and apply the pressure against the thumb tip towards the base (think opposite of a hyperextension)…..

Just one (of a few) pressure points that can readily disable...and a neat parlor trick...👍

with no aliens involved 👽🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Troll said:

I posted a clip a little while back (essentially today's vs yesterday's athletic performance) that comes to mind. It touched on the point that when you see someone fly thru the air from an electric shock it's their own muscles that launches them and not the bolt, so the mechanics are there...  the thought is that our minds train our bodies, or only  throw as much 'energy' (for lack of a better term) as the mind perceives 'safe' from essentially shattering your own bones...

a decent thread BTW 👍

I still call bs on lil girls lifting 1000s of lb cars. I think it’s all urban legend bs  

Adrenaline can only go so far. 

Manipulating a pressure point with technique is lot different than super human strength. 2 different spectrums...

9F3AEA70-B66D-437F-B448-0A31132350AC.gif

On 7/9/2019 at 6:44 PM, NorCalRuss said:

I still call bs on lil girls lifting 1000s of lb cars. I think it’s all urban legend bs  

Adrenaline can only go so far. 

Manipulating a pressure point with technique is lot different than super human strength. 2 different spectrums...

9F3AEA70-B66D-437F-B448-0A31132350AC.gif

Well I might agree with bs on the '1000 pound lift' statement because I also think much of this is exaggerated like a fish story every time it gets told...especially heroic deeds...

But with one side on the ground, a 1000 lb tractor could be tilted (enough for a release) with maybe a 400-450lb squat....seems feasible under raging adrenaline for someone who could normally only squat maybe 200-250...

so maybe 'added bs, but based in reality'?....

I also agree that adrenaline can only go so far....bones and ligaments must still be able to bear the stresses...

and you probably already know, but the pressure point technique was to show mind control over physical actions...not to show any strength or 'superhuman abilities'....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Troll said:

Alexander the Great would get his army doped on Opium before going into battle. I'm sure the warriors felt like they were invincible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troll said:

Well I might agree with bs on the '1000 pound lift' statement because I also think much of this is exaggerated like a fish story every time it gets told...especially heroic deeds...

But with one side on the ground, a 1000 lb tractor could be tilted (enough for a release) with maybe a 400-450lb squat....seems feasible under raging adrenaline for someone who could normally only squat maybe 200-250...

so maybe 'added bs, but based in reality'?....

I also agree that adrenaline can only go so far....bones and ligaments must still be able to bear the stresses...

and you probably already know, but the pressure point technique was to show mind control over physical actions...not to show any strength or 'superhuman abilities'....

Anyone that works out, when maxing out knows how much 5 lbs can make a difference between lift or no lift. I’ve benched over 500lbs and my ligaments and chest felt like it was going to explode. I just don’t see anyone adding 50 lbs via Adrenalin and these stories are adding 1000s of lbs more in some cases especially Lil girls  

I think they are fishing stories like you mentioned. 

0A8900DB-16FD-49BC-A95A-C17C485B1A64.gif

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, NorCalRuss said:

Anyone that works out, when maxing out knows how much 5 lbs can make a difference between lift or no lift. I’ve benched over 500lbs and my ligaments and chest felt like it was going to explode. I just don’t see anyone adding 50 lbs via Adrenalin and these stories are adding 1000s of lbs more in some cases especially Lil girls  

I think they are fishing stories like you mentioned. 

0A8900DB-16FD-49BC-A95A-C17C485B1A64.gif

yes I agree they are embellished....

but there is also some truth to it.

I work out, and think the situation you describe could be viewed from a different angle...

Most that work out (if they are any good LOL) will have trained and built their muscles much closer to what their bones and ligaments abilities are capable of....essentially you have already 'maxed out' your frame...

At that point incremental gains become exponentially harder.

One could easily theorize that any small girls "muscular adrenaline boost" would show significantly greater gains as muscularity is essentially the weak link in their frames...

Just a thought, but maybe worth considering... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Regards,

BGW

Great topic.  Imo, without the mental, there is no physical anything.  

To achieve great feats of strength or break strength records, nothing can be accomplished until you think you can.  

It is difficult to have a firm belief that you can do these things though.  But once you do...the sky is the limit.  

Again, great topic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Troll said:

I posted a clip a little while back (essentially today's vs yesterday's athletic performance) that comes to mind. It touched on the point that when you see someone fly thru the air from an electric shock it's their own muscles that launches them and not the bolt, so the mechanics are there...  the thought is that our minds train our bodies, or only  throws as much 'energy' (for lack of a better term) as the mind perceives 'safe' from essentially shattering your own bones...

a decent thread BTW 👍

Good post.  

What do you think the 'mind' is?  Is it in the brain or is it non local?  

Very interesting topic.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, World Citizen said:

Good post.  

What do you think the 'mind' is?  Is it in the brain or is it non local?  

Very interesting topic.  

Great questions (I had started answering the second one first 🙄)

I'd probably have a better answer if I thought about it for a while, but some initial thoughts...

First off the question is too 'limited' given that the word  "or" eliminates the possibility of some combination.

It's fairly obvious that there is at least some portion that is local right? (not sure if you agree here?)

So maybe the question should be  "Does some portion of the mind reside non-local?" 

Where even here the word 'reside' may be to limiting....

but let's not digress 😑

The second note that I think of, is that from a physical standpoint The brain itself puts out electrical charges, frequencies, and even magnetism.....these extend beyond the physical brains boundaries.   But to discount those and say that's not exactly what one means when asking about the "mind", gives you  ….if you don't know exactly what the mind is, without knowing what is contained in those little bits and pieces, you can't discount them. 

but i'm digressing again 🙄

and that really brings you back to the first question.....What IS the mind?

We like to think it is not just some form of runaway freight train of "intelligence"...….Like some open ended runaway program code in artificial "intelligence" with the base structure being carbon atoms instead of silicon and steel.....but really who is to say it's not?

however you slice it, Those carbon atoms are perfoming complex bioelectrical tasks under an 'operating system' we call a 'mind'...so maybe you can call that a 'cheap definition' of what the 'mind' is...(essentially the "operating system" portion of the physical body).

Now back to local/non-local part,  an operating system has interconnections with all other operating systems that run on the same platform or at least the ability, and that is where I punt for now...... with the thought that if your question was "how much of your mind resides outside your body"....I'd respond, as much as you put out....

Either way, I'm going with ……"some combination" for a final answer Alex 🤣

giphy.gif

• Like 1