Cheshire Academy (Conn.) at Bishop Sullivan Catholic (Va.)

Adam Kurkjian

Scheduled for Saturday, October 28 at noon.

This is pretty interesting. Cheshire Academy is a NEPSAC school that accepts post-graduates, aka kids that have completed their HS career and get one more in most cases to re-classify and have a better chance at a scholarship. CA also gets its fair amount of kids who repeat years. Last year, CA had five major Division 1 seniors, including WR Tarik Black (Michigan) and RB C.J. Holmes (Notre Dame).

CA has had to go to an independent schedule this year because a lot of teams in the NEPSAC won't schedule them anymore.

CA lost a lot but is already in the process of reloading. It will get about eight PGs plus a few transfers who will repeat years. Bishop Sullivan will have more high-end talent, but CA should again have at least 6-10 scholarship guys.

Here are some of CA's best players coming in:

LB Dillon Harris

WR/CB Bug Sebastian

C/DT Tom Clark

RB/OLB/SS Justice Antrum

OL Kyle Young

OL/DL Cletus Mathurin

ILB Kevin Bruce

DE/OLB Malachi Burby

WR/CB Tyger Munn

QB Josh Comune

This will be an good case study for just how good these NEPSAC Class A programs are. They typically don't play teams outside of other preps. The fact that they have all these post-grads eliminates them from any rankings discussion, but it will be interesting to see how they stack up with a team of Bishop Sullivan's caliber.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

You can add 4 star Josh Jobe from SoFL to Cheshire's list.  He is ineligible to play as a senior in FL due to age restriction. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Jobe-84077

That's pretty interesting.

Does every state have that rule about 19 year olds? I know we have it in Massachusetts for non-ISL/preps.

5 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Interesting matchup. I have no concept of how good (or bad) NEPSAC football is. Assumed it was like the second-tier DC-area private leagues where the teams might have some studs but not much depth, but I guess the top teams probably are better than that.

From my experience, yes, the rosters are top-heavy. But it's hard to tell how they match up against other types of teams because everything is so self-contained.

I've seen Cheshire play in the past against both vs Poly Prep (Brooklyn, NY) and vs Brunswick (Greenwich, CT).  Last year Cheshire had a fast team.  They beat Brunswick last year and the best QB in CT: http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Henkel-84210.  I would assume they would be significant underdogs in this game but I don't know much about Sullivan Catholic to say definitively.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

He did. So did Christian hackenberg. 

Fork Union is a little different. They have separate HS and PG teams whereas the NEPSAC allows PG players to play on the HS team. Hackenberg played on the HS team. Most of their well known players have played on the PG team, which doesn't play any HS teams (they mostly play JUCOs and the JV teams of 4-year schools) and only consists of PG players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Have any of these NEPSAC teams played a quality high school team in the last few years? 

I believe Loomis-Chafee,CT went to Texas and lost to a bad Texas team. Are they apart of that league? 

Yes, but there is usually a big gap between the haves and have nots in the NEPSAC.

And no, I can't think of any big-time programs a NEPSAC team has played recently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MA Fan said:

I don't think the computer rankings are that useful for the NEPSAC schools when they play outside schools so rarely. Maxpreps has Portsmouth ranked ahead of Brewster Academy in basketball.

I agree and this, in my view, is a nice little microcosm of ECHS' point about calpreps' inherent flaws.

20 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Not worthy of it's own thread but sticking it here since it's Bishop Sullivan related. They're hosting Riverdale Baptist (MD) on 11/18. Pretty late regular season game (2 weeks into playoffs for most of the Mid-Atlantic.

It looks like their entire schedule is full except for one game (9/29 weekend).