If the #1 team stayed together through the college years...

westbankeagle

47 minutes ago, Pops said:

Current teams are ridiculous — STA is more loaded, but has been passed in roster talent/ depth by a half dozen programs who pursue rosters with a shamelessness that would have created a furor in 2010 

I can't judge every program but the ones I've seen in person, Bishop Gorman, St. John Bosco, etc. did not have more talent/depth.

As usual your judgment is clouded by the beatings that De La Salle has taken against these teams.

• Thumbs Down 1

23 minutes ago, Pops said:

Great team — no doubt 

it doesn’t compare to today’s super-teams 

IOW, STA was driving 80 in the left lane and getting jeered for going too fast and now they’re doing 100 in the middle lane while everyone jeering the guys going 130

No matter how many times Freeman drops Manatee and Plant's ratings,  those were two solid back to back dominant wins to finish the season.   I would say this year's team would have their hands full with the 2010 squad.     

Was just reading up on an OL that left STA for Missouri after his soph year I believe and went to Oklahoma St, got to 2nd string on the depth chart and got injured and had back surgery and finished his career at a D3 school.   Last name of Kurzu.   I doubt he touched the field at STA vs the better teams if at all and probably played JV.  That team had some depth and a stingy D with plenty of FCS (especially Ivy league kids) to hold the rope with blue chip kids.  

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Yes it is 

times have changed 

you just had a QB in 2010 

And btw, you took the most NFL players title from DLS who has NEVER had more than 7 D1s in any year, and usually had 2 to 4. 

Current teams are ridiculous — STA is more loaded, but has been passed in roster talent/ depth by a half dozen programs who pursue rosters with a shamelessness that would have created a furor in 2010 

SMH.   

Just for fun I used Mater Dei for this study. I used players from 2015-2018 (four recruiting classes that have actually played CFB) Here's the conclusion. 

QB JT Daniels 5 * (USC)  Career 2,672 yds 14 td's and 10 ints (would rank 24th in passing in the FCS) CO 2018

RB From 2015-2018 there isn't a single recorded NCAA stat for a RB from Mater Dei.....

WR Osiris St. Brown 4* (Stanford) Career  8 Rec 204 yds  1 TD  CO 2017

WR Aman-Ra St. Brown 5* (USC) Career 60 Rec 750 yds 3 TDs CO 2018

TE Kyle Penniston 3* (Wisconsin) Career 16 Rec 176 yds 4 TDs CO 2015

OL Addison Ooms NR (Cal) 36 career starts Rimington watch list CO 2015

OL Frank Martin 4* (USC) Has not played in career CO 2016

OL Tommy Brown 4* (Alabama) Redshirt CO 2018

OL Chris Murray 4* (UCLA) 12 starts as fr. CO 2018

OL Kekaniokoa Gonzalez 3* (Boise st) played in 1 game CO 2018

DL Olive Sagapolu 3* (Wisconsin) 26 starts 61 tkls 10 TFL 6 sacks CO 2015

DL Austin Faoliu 3* (Oregon) 23 starts 64 tkls 4 TFL 3 Sacks CO 2017

DL Andrew Faoliu 3* (Oregon) 1 start 3 tkls CO 2018

DL Samuela  Tuihalamaka 3*(Oklahoma St) Redshirt CO 2018

LB Ben Humphreys 4* (Duke) 273 tkls 9 sacks 36 starts CO 2015

LB Curtis Robinson 4* (Stanford) 23 starts 36 tkls CO 2018

LB Solomon Tuliaupupu 4* (USC) No stats CO 2018

CB Quentin Lake 3* (UCLA) 21 GP 75 tkls  2 ints CO 2017

CB Jalen Cole 3* (Montana St.) no registered stats CO 2017

S Xavier Bell 3* (Arizona) 1 start 10 tkls CO 2017

S Roman Kafentzis (Boise St.) 1 tkl CO 2017

'

Surprisingly a lot of talent, however there is absolutely zero depth. This team would beat bad teams, but wouldn't be able to go 4 quarters against a top 25 FCS school. Top 10 D2, National title contender D3. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mustangman21 said:

Surprisingly a lot of talent, however there is absolutely zero depth. This team would beat bad teams, but wouldn't be able to go 4 quarters against a top 25 FCS school. Top 10 D2, National title contender D3. 

MD’s 2 best teams by far are their last two so you’re unfairly evaluating college production IMhO — ie “MD doesn’t have a single RB with a college stat” is damning in your analysis, but they have a 4* and a 3* RB that are in fall camps for first time right now 

You talk about depth, but what does 3rd string matter when their 2nd string is better than the first string of the those schools — some of those schools might possibly have a couple of 2* kids (the FCS schools anyway) — MD is almost 2-deep with 3-5 star kids 

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

SMH.   

Tell me how many guys from the 2010 team had an SEC offer bs this team 

I understand there’s stories behind everything but I expect it’s twice as many 

look I think DLS had as good or a better team than STA in 2010 — that team won the Open 48-8 and the MNC in both computers and came in 2nd and 3rds in the human pills to SP and STA.  I think that team would be a 2 TD dog to a half dozen teams today. 

I’m not pickikgnon STA — my point is that times are changing and the OP is a valid discussion that’s being dismissed with the sort of same smug certainty as flat earthers in 1491

Just now, Pops said:

Tell me how many guys from the 2010 team had an SEC offer bs this team 

I understand there’s stories behind everything but I expect it’s twice as many 

look I think DLS had as good or a better team than STA in 2010 — that team won the Open 48-8 and the MNC in both computers and came in 2nd and 3rds in the human pills to SP and STA.  I think that team would be a 2 TD dog to a half dozen teams today. 

I’m not pickikgnon STA — my point is that times are changing and the OP is a valid discussion that’s being dismissed with the sort of same smug certainty as flat earthers in 1491

Oh my gog.  Your response deserves no answer!

Ot Bobby Hart  SEC offers. 3rd team all ACC.   NFL

Wr Rashad Greene.  SEC offers.  FSU ~4000yds 30tds.  2nd team AA.  NFL

WR Phillip Dorsett.  SEC offers.   MIAMI.   2000+ yds 17tds. 2nd team all AcC.  1st round Pick.  NFL  Superbowl champion.

DE Joey Bosa  SEC offers.  OSU.   NFL DROY

CB Marcus Roberson.   UF (started as freshman at Fl).  NFL

De/DT. Jelani hamilton. SEC offers 

QB Jake Ruddock  NO sec offers  NFL

Then you got about 15-20 or sO mid tier D1 guys.   Basically those up top had offers everywhere save Ruddock. 

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

Ot Bobby Hart  SEC offers. 3rd team all ACC.   NFL

Wr Rashad Greene.  SEC offers.  FSU ~4000yds 30tds.  2nd team AA.  NFL

WR Phillip Dorsett.  SEC offers.   MIAMI.   2000+ yds 17tds. 2nd team all AcC.  1st round Pick.  NFL  Superbowl champion.

DE Joey Bosa  SEC offers.  OSU.   NFL DROY

CB Marcus Roberson.   UF (started as freshman at Fl).  NFL

De/DT. Jelani hamilton. SEC offers 

QB Jake Ruddock  NO sec offers  NFL

Then you got about 15-20 or sO mid tier D1 guys.   Basically those up top had offers everywhere save Ruddock. 

You listed 6 guys and included at least a couple of underclassmen (all?)

I just checked rivals and there's currently 18 STA kids with SEC offers

Oh, and I only checked the senior class

I think STA is better -- I just think the very top moved up even more

5 hours ago, Pops said:

That team had 6 players make an active NFL roster. Bookmark this and then come back in 7-8 years and see how many those other schools have from their current rosters.

Not only did that team have 6 NFLers but these were the non-NFLers on the roster:

Jelani Hamilton (Miami)

Anthony Moten (AAF)

Tyler Drake (Ivy League Defensive POY)

Vernon Harris (2-time 1st Team All-Ivy League)

Cole Champion (Captain at Yale)

Fred Coppet (Bowling Green)

Dami Ayoola (Illinois)

Tevin Allen (FCS National Runner-up)

Jamal Wilson (UMass)

Once again, come back on signing day and we'll see where those 18 SEC offered kids actually sign. Then we'll wait a few more years to see what they actually become.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Guru said:

That team had 6 players make an active NFL roster. Bookmark this and then come back in 7-8 years and see how many those other schools have from their current rosters.

Not only did that team have 6 NFLers but these were the non-NFLers on the roster:

Jelani Hamilton (Miami)

Anthony Moten (AAF)

Dami Ayoola (Illinois)

Jamal Wilson (UMass)

Once again, come back on signing day and we'll see where those 18 SEC offered kids actually sign. Then we'll wait a few more years to see what they actually become.

Exactly, more offers are given out nowadays. 

10 hours ago, Pops said:

You listed 6 guys and included at least a couple of underclassmen (all?)

I just checked rivals and there's currently 18 STA kids with SEC offers

Oh, and I only checked the senior class

I'd like to see the 18 seniors with SEC offers on Rivals... are you including 2 star tight end Joey Kirner with a Kentucky verbal offer?    Sorry, not buying he has a written offer to play for Kentucky and he certainly is not getting a SEC offer at left tackle... that maybe 220 lb tight end played left Tackle for STA last week. 

10 of the 11 starting offensive players vs DLS attended STA in the 9th grade and the one who didn't is a transfer with 0 stars and FBS offers who moved into the area I believe.    HC Harriott doesn't care about stars or offers, he cares about putting the best player in a position and last week the LT was a 6'4" 220 lb 0 star with 0 offers protecting the blind side of a first time starter.  

13 hours ago, Pops said:

MD’s 2 best teams by far are their last two so you’re unfairly evaluating college production IMhO — ie “MD doesn’t have a single RB with a college stat” is damning in your analysis, but they have a 4* and a 3* RB that are in fall camps for first time right now 

You talk about depth, but what does 3rd string matter when their 2nd string is better than the first string of the those schools — some of those schools might possibly have a couple of 2* kids (the FCS schools anyway) — MD is almost 2-deep with 3-5 star kids 

Because I used actual data since those kids have actually played college snaps. Sure the newer guys might have stars attached to their names, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna pan out. As you can see, the first string is actually pretty damn good. But after that first string there is a major drop off. A starting DL isn't playing every snap of a game..... c'mon man, such a homer smh.

4 hours ago, The Guru said:

Jelani Hamilton (Miami)

Anthony Moten (AAF)

Dami Ayoola (Illinois)

Jamal Wilson (UMass)

I clearly understand that the perception of the 2010 is ahead of the current team

but working with the data we have, this version appears to have more talent 

I think the OP is a legit conversation because of the drastic increase in talent among the nth level teams 

in 2010, STA was considered almost IMG-ish.  Now, you have more than twice as many kids with SEC offers and your 2nd Tier and not bothering anyone 

don’t you think times have changed 

btw, my first DLS game as a fan was 2008 SBG.  That DLS team had 4 future NFL players in it.  They started 1-3 in my first 4 games and the win was a 14-7 comeback against Serra — point is “6 future NFL guys” doesn’t end discussion for me 

44 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

Because I used actual data since those kids have actually played college snaps. Sure the newer guys might have stars attached to their names, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna pan out. As you can see, the first string is actually pretty damn good. But after that first string there is a major drop off. A starting DL isn't playing every snap of a game..... c'mon man, such a homer smh.

What am a being a homer about?  I don’t think you know what that word means.

you can’t do your comparison your way unless you were predisposed to dismiss the idea which you are 

agree kids don’t always pan out — that’s basically half of every college team — you are just ensuring it by evaluating on college production using kids that were either true freshmen last year or will be this year — that’s just dumb 

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

What am a being a homer about?  I don’t think you know what that word means.

you can’t do your comparison your way unless you were predisposed to dismiss the idea which you are 

agree kids don’t always pan out — that’s basically half of every college team — you are just ensuring it by evaluating on college production using kids that were either true freshmen last year or will be this year — that’s just dumb 

DLS has become the feeder for San Jose State 😉

2 hours ago, Pops said:

but working with the data we have, this version appears to have more talent 

But what we have now is bullshit data.

It's all summer camps and 7-on-7s. It's silly season. If the ESPN broadcast said that somebody is considering Pittsburgh and Boston College, they're probably signing with a MAC/C-USA school.