Punting requirements

AussieRep

I'm from Australia and am going on student exchange during football season, now I play Australian football which if you don't know is pretty much based around what you call punting, now i was wondering what sort of distance high school punters get and if I'd be able to play with a 36m (39yard) average and a 42m (46yard) max punt?

8 hours ago, AussieRep said:

I'm from Australia and am going on student exchange during football season, now I play Australian football which if you don't know is pretty much based around what you call punting, now i was wondering what sort of distance high school punters get and if I'd be able to play with a 36m (39yard) average and a 42m (46yard) max punt?

Very cool. Learning different cultures and geographic regions is fascinating to me. Hope you'll keep us updated with your journey

8 hours ago, AussieRep said:

The distance of a punt is measured from the spot the play begins, or the line of scrimmage. But the punt actually occurs about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. So, if you are saying your average punt is 39 yards, that would be considered a 29 yard punt in American football. If that is the case, you may want to slip a few more prawns on the barbie and build up your leg muscles. 

• Like 2

Yeah well I hadn't thought about playing football while over there until a member of my football clubs senior team was telling me about playing on exchange and I know he was excepted into a college but something weird happened with high school qualifications and he wasn't eligible for college level

15 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

The distance of a punt is measured from the spot the play begins, or the line of scrimmage. But the punt actually occurs about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. So, if you are saying your average punt is 39 yards, that would be considered a 29 yard punt in American football. If that is the case, you may want to slip a few more prawns on the barbie and build up your leg muscles. 

All good mate taken into consideration, I'm going to upstate New York so should be right

2 minutes ago, AussieRep said:

We only get told the school closer to the date until then its just state, but I'll be sure to come here as soon as i find out 

We'll certainly be looking forward to keeping up with you, and your progress. Plus it will give us another team to root for and follow as well.

• Like 1

Good Monday afternoon Aussierep, 

30+ avg in HS is probably good enough for most schools (40 yds air approx).  So you are right there.   What class would you be attending in the US (9th, 10th, 11th or 12th?).  Any punting clinics near you?  Once you arrive in NY I'm sure there are contacts you can make for punting training and hopefully your chosen HS has a decent special teams coach who can see flaws and help you be more consistent.   There's the nice tight spirals from QB's but when a punter unloads a spiraled blast with hang time, it's cool to see live.

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Good Monday afternoon Aussierep, 

30+ avg in HS is probably good enough for most schools (40 yds air approx).  So you are right there.   What class would you be attending in the US (9th, 10th, 11th or 12th?).  Any punting clinics near you?  Once you arrive in NY I'm sure there are contacts you can make for punting training and hopefully your chosen HS has a decent special teams coach who can see flaws and help you be more consistent.   There's the nice tight spirals from QB's but when a punter unloads a spiraled blast with hang time, it's cool to see live.

Well I'll have finished 11th and be going into 12th but id only be 17 so I'm not sure what class I'll be in and I don't have any punting dedicated clinics nearby but my aussie rules coach can get a good 60m on his kicks so I'm going to start getting some 1 on 1 coaching with him

Next question, in aussie rules I play a position called full forward in juniors who's job it is to score goals which is usually done by taking contested marks, in gridiron would these catching skills translate to a safety or CB or something else? Do players ever play across the different platoons?

9 minutes ago, AussieRep said:

Next question, in aussie rules I play a position called full forward in juniors who's job it is to score goals which is usually done by taking contested marks, in gridiron would these catching skills translate to a safety or CB or something else? Do players ever play across the different platoons?

Sounds more like tight end, or fullback.

Depending on the size of the school, and the football program itself, it's pretty common to have guys play on both O and D.  

11 minutes ago, AussieRep said:

Yes many players in high school play both offense and defense for their teams also the special team units(punts,field goal and kick off)

if you have good hands catching the ball with good speed and can run precise routes that would be an offensive position called wide receiver.many times a WR will also play CB on defense in High school 

21 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

Sounds more like tight end, or fullback.

Depending on the size of the school, and the football program itself, it's pretty common to have guys play on both O and D.  

I'm guessing if he plays the position of the men catching  the ball here he could play WR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AussieRep said:

Well I'll have finished 11th and be going into 12th but id only be 17 so I'm not sure what class I'll be in and I don't have any punting dedicated clinics nearby but my aussie rules coach can get a good 60m on his kicks so I'm going to start getting some 1 on 1 coaching with him

If you turn 19 before Sept.1 I think that's the cutoff for athletics.  So if you're 18 on Sept. 1 you should be good to go for a football season.  My hope is you have 2 years of eligibility in HS to enhance your punting skills and also have a whole year learning curve of US football and playing new positions and then give it a go you're senior year with knowledge and experience.  

Dang, if a guy can launch 60 meter punts you best listen and observe :).   Keep us updated and GL. 

Are you familiar with this recruit?  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/18546993/how-17-year-old-australian-giant-no-football-experience-became-recruiting-sensation

10 hours ago, AussieRep said:

Yeah so I'm a tall forward and I'm fast but not quick if you get me and i also love landing big hits, how do coaches view end over end punts, because i get more distance and accuracy with them?

You're fine... distance and accuracy is very welcome and it becomes a tricky catch for a receiver as well and depending on accuracy there's a good chance you will get non caught punts with a nice bounce and roll fwd to add to your distance.   The rugby/Aussie football punt style is becoming more popular here.