Week 5 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

2 hours ago, The Guru said:

Your post is no less lame than usual.

We're talking about scales that are an order of magnitude different. There are 130 FBS teams and 14,000 high school teams.

And there are probably more than 10,000 of those high schools that are incompetent. No better than club level with kids just running around on a field.

North Carolina, on the other hand, is totally competent and capable of giving even one of the best teams trouble on a given day.

So is Plant City.

😍

22 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

A signature win would help the most

Fair response. My next question is who determines what is a signature win. From reading the board for a few years it sounds like there are only maybe 20-30 teams that most people think are worth a damn and anything beyond beating them isn’t worthy of being a signature win. My questions have been made in general but specifically I wonder if beating Dutch Fork would have been considered a signature win. If the game had been allowed to finish the Creek likely would have won. That game was OOS along with Gaffney and Mallard Creek beat a Vance team on Friday that was in the 4A state championship last year also on the road. That’s about all we have until playoffs. 

We are trying every year to schedule even tougher schools but making a deal with many is tough. We aren’t a wealthy public school so finances are a factor. So for schools like Dutch Fork and Mallard Creek I suppose if they aren’t able to schedule the best of the Maryland/DC privates or the best teams in GA or Alabama they are relegated to a Tier 5/6 level. 

Not bitching about it just trying to get my head wrapped around trying to identity how good they are without playing some of the academy’s, privates, or powerhouse OOS publics.  Coach Palmieri came from South Florida and has ramped up scheduling every year. I have no idea where they should actually be ranked. Somewhere around 20-25 seems about right given their schedule while looking at it through my Creek lenses. Just heard last week Mallard Creek has just over 50 kids on college rosters right now. Obviously not all P5 or even large D1 but they are pumping out a lot of talent. 

1 hour ago, Creekfootball said:

Fair response. My next question is who determines what is a signature win. From reading the board for a few years it sounds like there are only maybe 20-30 teams that most people think are worth a damn and anything beyond beating them isn’t worthy of being a signature win. My questions have been made in general but specifically I wonder if beating Dutch Fork would have been considered a signature win. If the game had been allowed to finish the Creek likely would have won. That game was OOS along with Gaffney and Mallard Creek beat a Vance team on Friday that was in the 4A state championship last year also on the road. That’s about all we have until playoffs. 

We are trying every year to schedule even tougher schools but making a deal with many is tough. We aren’t a wealthy public school so finances are a factor. So for schools like Dutch Fork and Mallard Creek I suppose if they aren’t able to schedule the best of the Maryland/DC privates or the best teams in GA or Alabama they are relegated to a Tier 5/6 level. 

Not bitching about it just trying to get my head wrapped around trying to identity how good they are without playing some of the academy’s, privates, or powerhouse OOS publics.  Coach Palmieri came from South Florida and has ramped up scheduling every year. I have no idea where they should actually be ranked. Somewhere around 20-25 seems about right given their schedule while looking at it through my Creek lenses. Just heard last week Mallard Creek has just over 50 kids on college rosters right now. Obviously not all P5 or even large D1 but they are pumping out a lot of talent. 

I understand your frustration.  Mallard Creek fans may have a very good team but their schedule is inhibitng the chance to show their ability.  Maybe @GardenStateBaller via Prep Gridiron logistics can arrange for a National type team to go to Mallard Creek for a game.

Mallard Creek had an opportunity to show what they could do vs. Dutch Fork, and that game ended up in a Tie.  Dutch Fork's next best opponent is #2002 so Mallard Creek could not link to a big Dutch Fork win.  IF Mallard Creek had won that game by 2 scores, then I think that would have got peoples attention and put them on the map.

Then Mallard Creek only beat Gaffney by 7 but Byrnes beat them 30-56.

There are plenty of National schools on the East coast that have trouble finding games, and would be happy to accept a game from Mallard Creek

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Based on the fact Lakeland beat STA in the State Title game last year handily. And theyve been performing just as well this season as last with much of the same team.

Theyve also won 21 in a row & 31 of their last 32.

didn't they also add a contender for fastest kid in the country at WR?

I remember @badrouter touting Lakeland as having 4 kids that could run a 4.6 40 (or something like that) and we were coaching him that the 2 kids that can run 4.3-something is more impressive than 4 kids running 4.6 or better

18 hours ago, The Guru said:

By the way, Alabama is now #1 in the AP Poll and they deserve it. Why? Because they've performed better than Clemson so far this year.

If they play again and Lakeland wins again then tip of the cap. But otherwise the pollsters are under no obligation to rank them over somebody simply because they beat them last year.

I agree with this in isolation

However, Lakeland beating STA last year (not 10 years ago) adds credibility to their consideration, especially since their team largely returns

In any event, doesn't matter who's ranked higher -- you'll either play or one or both of you will have tripped badly beforehand

fwiw, I'd probably only have 2 teams in Tier 1, STA in Tier 2 (w/ St Francis, IMG, Duncanville), and Lakeland in Tier 3 w/ DLS et al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I’ve spoken to the MC admin re OOS games. They’re the east coast version of Folsom, Cen10, etc. A power public without the adequate funds to either host or travel. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Their lowest hanging fruit is the WCAC schools or SFA. Need to find a way to play them annually. 

Agree with the WCAC schools or SFA. Mallard Creek did host McDonogh out of Maryland a few years ago and won that game. I imagine they covered most all of their costs. Would love a home and home with a team like Colquitt or Hoover. We are just down the street from UNCC and could play at their beautiful stadium. It’s the perfect size for this type of game. Would be a decent gate I imagine. Don’t know all the internal logistics about setting these types of games up but just as a fan it would be great to be tested against some other state power teams. 

I think Myers Park will continue to move up in polls as their passing attack is as lethal as any I have seen in high school. Their QB is Alabama commit Drake Maye, WR1 is Texas A&M commit Mushin Muhammad and WR2 NC State commit Porter Rooks light it up. Beating them in the playoffs would be our only other opportunity at beating a Top 100 team unless we play both Myers Park and Vance. 

Thanks for the info. 

4 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I’ve spoken to the MC admin re OOS games. They’re the east coast version of Folsom, Cen10, etc. A power public without the adequate funds to either host or travel. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Their lowest hanging fruit is the WCAC schools or SFA. Need to find a way to play them annually. 

I think there is some debate as to whether or not Folsom has funds to travel.  There are plenty of quality teams within the range of the distance they have already traveled that would satisfy what everyone wants to see from them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pops said:

didn't they also add a contender for fastest kid in the country at WR?

I remember @badrouter touting Lakeland as having 4 kids that could run a 4.6 40 (or something like that) and we were coaching him that the 2 kids that can run 4.3-something is more impressive than 4 kids running 4.6 or better

Based on fastest recorded 100 meter time, The Rocket Ismail, Reggie Bush and Desean Jackson would all be the 3rd fastest player on Lakeland's offense, Bowman and Arian Smith have 10.41 and 10.39 times to their name. Smith was on the 4x100 team with Boling over the summer. Here's a video of Smith winning the Prefontaine classic at Stanford a few months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikHapytc6g

• Like 1