Has anyone been to Oregon?

Bormio

Just now, Bormio said:

I was thinking of the Willamette Valley (I like wine), Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge.  Thoughts?

I unfortunately went to none of those places.... My time there was spent keeping my cousin from losing his damn mind... 

I was the wrong person to console him tho as I'm not married nor have I ever been... 

I do plan on going back next year though... 

13 hours ago, Bormio said:

What would it be like to visit on vacation?

It’s beautiful land. Mountains are cool, but the coast is absolutely breathtaking. As good of not better than anywhere in CA. Be prepared for rain unless you come in the middle of summer...even then, be ready for rain🤣  Solid wine culture, but definitely more of a beer scene. I hope you’re ok with smelling weed literally everywhere to go in Portland. Honestly, I wouldn’t fly all the way to OR just to go to OR. Hit Seattle/Tacoma or N. CA coast as well to make it fulfilling (for me at least). My .02. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bormio said:

When are you going?  I have spent a lot of time on the coast and can tell you a lot about that.  Not so much inland because it usually has a weird Steven King feeling with it. Lol.  

Although it does rain a lot, more often than not the coast is really nice and the beaches go forever.  

My favorite coastal town is Yachats.  Scenery is beautiful and has good seafood.  There is a cool wolf sanctuary about 20 miles inland.  

Anyway, Lmk what you are looking to do and I'll have more info.  

• Like 1

I've been to vineyards between Portland and Salem. Not bad, not bad at all.

The drive to and from the coast, whether the inland destination is Portland or Corvallis or Salem or Eugene is real nice. Big trees, lush forests. I think we've seen a real, live gnome or two on occasion. Maybe they were some of Snow White's dwarfs.

The Oregon Coast is a spectacular, rugged coastline.

Going out on a crabbing boat in Newport was a blast. If GoPro was around at the time I'd have a Deadliest Catch video of us working the pots and bringing in crabs. Well, it was actually mostly in a bay on a little boat in a "no wake" zone and we dipped into the Pacific for maybe a second. Lots of crabs though. It was a kick.

Rafting on the McKenzie River is a very scenic adventure. Great fun.

Heading east from Portland to Hood River on the Columbia is nice. Huge-ass river.

On a clear day, Mt. Hood is bigger than hell, just staring at you. Very nice.

Lots of microbrews, foodies aplenty, and a hip music scene.

Eastern Oregon is drier, and more like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. Plains and mountains. Hell's Canyon on the Snake River is impressive.

Tech companies are significant around Portland and Eugene, so internet access is generally good if spending vacation on the OT Forum of PrepGridiron.com is a desired activity.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

When are you going?  I have spent a lot of time on the coast and can tell you a lot about that.  Not so much inland because it usually has a weird Steven King feeling with it. Lol.  

Although it does rain a lot, more often than not the coast is really nice and the beaches go forever.  

My favorite coastal town is Yachats.  Scenery is beautiful and has good seafood.  There is a cool wolf sanctuary about 20 miles inland.  

Anyway, Lmk what you are looking to do and I'll have more info.  

Next summer - I probably will be in the area about 10-12 days, so can visit several places.  I do want to visit the Willamette Valley wine country.  Also want to do some  day hiking, but otherwise pretty open to seeing any neat, out of the way areas.  Not interested in more than a day or two in Portland, if that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

I've been to vineyards between Portland and Salem. Not bad, not bad at all.

The drive to and from the coast, whether the inland destination is Portland or Corvallis or Salem or Eugene is real nice. Big trees, lush forests. I think we've seen a real, live gnome or two on occasion. Maybe they were some of Snow White's dwarfs.

The Oregon Coast is a spectacular, rugged coastline.

Going out on a crabbing boat in Newport was a blast. If GoPro was around at the time I'd have a Deadliest Catch video of us working the pots and bringing in crabs. Well, it was actually mostly in a bay on a little boat in a "no wake" zone and we dipped into the Pacific for maybe a second. Lots of crabs though. It was a kick.

Rafting on the McKenzie River is a very scenic adventure. Great fun.

Heading east from Portland to Hood River on the Columbia is nice. Huge-ass river.

On a clear day, Mt. Hood is bigger than hell, just staring at you. Very nice.

Lots of microbrews, foodies aplenty, and a hip music scene.

Eastern Oregon is drier, and more like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. Plains and mountains. Hell's Canyon on the Snake River is impressive.

Tech companies are significant around Portland and Eugene, so internet access is generally good if spending vacation on the OT Forum of PrepGridiron.com is a desired activity.

One of the DLS guys once posted he was sitting with his feet up overlooking the sea on an island off Naples with a glass of wine.  #putthephonedown

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Next summer - I probably will be in the area about 10-12 days, so can visit several places.  I do want to visit the Willamette Valley wine country.  Also want to do some  day hiking, but otherwise pretty open to seeing any neat, out of the way areas.  Not interested in more than a day or two in Portland, if that.

I'm not big on Portland either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

Hit up Bend if you have a few days.  Also keep in mind that there is no sales tax and you are not allowed to pump your own gas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I'm not big on Portland either.  

I will third that. BIL used to live in Portland. Was not impressed with it at all. Lots of people love it, but I was a bit disappointed. Wife lived in Bend for a bit when she was younger and absolutely hated it, I’ve never been so I don’t know

Ive been to Grants Pass, Ashland and they were nice I did like them.  Interested in Willamette Valley myself. I’d like to head up there one day.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bormio said:

Lived in Baker City (Eastern Oregon) for 7 years. Beautiful scenery. 

Portland pretty much sucks IMO. Politically, EXTREMELY LIBERAL. Eastern Oregon is much more conservative.

High desert, mountains, farms, ranches, and very cold, long winters in the East. Only about 3-4 months of what I call "warm" weather.

Mountains, coast, 75% of the population, and very wet and rainy in the west.

• Like 1