The greatest high school game ever played??

HSFBfan

On 11/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Cool story.  Kaint beat those announcers with the West Texas drawls.

Texas HS football was in their prime in the 1980s and 90's. 

Then the landscape shifted  to NJ, Fla, Calif, NV.  Sad

Dude-   Shut the hell up.  This sort of nonsense is why nobody can take you’ Tiers serious.

If you love HS football - then you have great respect for Texas HS football.

why did you have 2 Texas teams in them tiers last year?

6 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Dude-   Shut the hell up.  This sort of nonsense is why nobody can take you’ Tiers serious.

If you love HS football - then you have great respect for Texas HS football.

why did you have 2 Texas teams in them tiers last year?

I think Texas football is great. I respect that their 6a finalists are automatic Tier1, every year.

The announcers in this clip are old school Texas talk radio type guys. Nothing beats the fan fervor of Texas HS football 

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I think Texas football is great. I respect that their 6a finalists are automatic Tier1, every year.

The announcers in this clip are old school Texas talk radio type guys. Nothing beats the fan fervor of Texas HS football 

Stop belittling our game. Acting like we have nothing behind our finalist is stupid crazy talk!

10 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

For me it was DLS Vs MD 1998....

Having Grown up and played HSFB in The OC, and Gone to College in Nor Cal it was a cant miss game....

I was living in San Diego and drove up to the “Big A” to go see the team I had read about in the newspaper and followed their “Streak”  in Nor Cal Play The Great OC Power MD who has recently won a couple of National Titles...

It was an incredible scene... Like 20k people in “The Big A” (Was The Biggest Stage for OC And Southern Section Football for Years), and MD looking like a College Team and Everyone was looking at DLS in the sideline going “That is The Team With 70 whatever wins?”....

Then DLS Bolts out to a 21-7 Lead and the tension in the place was incredible... Complete disbelief Everyone was shocked.... DLS was so Impressive with their execution, like nothing My Buddies and I had ever seen in So Cal Football...

.But in Classic Rollo Fashion MD Came storming Back and Tied the game, and the Crowd was on Fire, it had just become a heavyweight fight of Nor Cal vs So Cal...

Then Tied At 21-21 and DLS Facing 3rd and 21 Lad calls a Draw and The Great Atari Callen breaks one for a first down and all the momentum goes back to DLS.... Unbelievable...

DLS ends up scoring and winning 28-21... It was so incredible, you definitely felt like you were part of HSFB History with DLS Validating their Streak Beating the The OC’s Great National Champ MD....

There was just nothing like it.... Been a huge DLS Fan Ever Since!!!...

And our own @GloryDays sacked the MD QB to kill final drive 

our own @Eddyr2 was a junior reserve for the Stripes but was around for the 42-0 drubbing in the rematch 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

For me it was DLS Vs MD 1998....

Having Grown up and played HSFB in The OC, and Gone to College in Nor Cal it was a cant miss game....

I was living in San Diego and drove up to the “Big A” to go see the team I had read about in the newspaper and followed their “Streak”  in Nor Cal Play The Great OC Power MD who has recently won a couple of National Titles...

It was an incredible scene... Like 20k people in “The Big A” (Was The Biggest Stage for OC And Southern Section Football for Years), and MD looking like a College Team and Everyone was looking at DLS in the sideline going “That is The Team With 70 whatever wins?”....

Then DLS Bolts out to a 21-7 Lead and the tension in the place was incredible... Complete disbelief Everyone was shocked.... DLS was so Impressive with their execution, like nothing My Buddies and I had ever seen in So Cal Football...

.But in Classic Rollo Fashion MD Came storming Back and Tied the game, and the Crowd was on Fire, it had just become a heavyweight fight of Nor Cal vs So Cal...

Then Tied At 21-21 and DLS Facing 3rd and 21 Lad calls a Draw and The Great Atari Callen breaks one for a first down and all the momentum goes back to DLS.... Unbelievable...

DLS ends up scoring and winning 28-21... It was so incredible, you definitely felt like you were part of HSFB History with DLS Validating their Streak Beating the The OC’s Great National Champ MD....

There was just nothing like it.... Been a huge DLS Fan Ever Since!!!...

Echo the sentiments.  I was at the game as well, and agree with all that you wrote.  There were HS football letterman jackets from pretty much every So Cal football team in the crowd that night.  No one gave DLS a chance. 

I attended the game with a friend from the Bay Area who was telling me how good DLS was.  Of course I was arrogant back in those days, and was very patronizing toward him.  Needless to say, the drive after the game was complete humiliation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Echo the sentiments.  I was at the game as well, and agree with all that you wrote.  There were HS football letterman jackets from pretty much every So Cal football team in the crowd that night.  No one gave DLS a chance. 

I attended the game with a friend from the Bay Area who was telling me how good DLS was.  Of course I was arrogant back in those days, and was very patronizing toward him.  Needless to say, the drive after the game was complete humiliation.

I would have just liked to have been there for the pregame warmups — I’ve heard so many different people describe the visual difference between the two teams — I believe MD dressed close to 100 players 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

I would have just liked to have been there for the pregame warmups — I’ve heard so many different people describe the visual difference between the two teams — I believe MD dressed close to 100 players 

Yeah Mater Dei had the red and white balloons, 110 suited up players, and more cheerleaders than DLS had players. 20,000 overconfident fans filled the seats.  Of course we didn't know about DJ Williams, and Kevin Simon. 

Everybody expected MD to absolutely stomp the Spartans.......until the game started.  Then it was Holy Sh*t!  DLS jumped ahead 14-0 I think.  We'd never seen anything like the speed and execution of the veer.  Mater Dei seemed lost defensively in the first half.  Adjustments were made and MD got back into the game, tied the Spartans and had all the momentum.  DLS couldn't pass a whit, and when they got to 3rd and 32 we thought bingo.  Stop them here and go down and win the game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yeah Mater Dei had the red and white balloons, 110 suited up players, and more cheerleaders than DLS had players. 20,000 overconfident fans filled the seats.  Of course we didn't know about DJ Williams, and Kevin Simon. 

Everybody expected MD to absolutely stomp the Spartans.......until the game started.  Then it was Holy Sh*t!  DLS jumped ahead 14-0 I think.  We'd never seen anything like the speed and execution of the veer.  Mater Dei seemed lost defensively in the first half.  Adjustments were made and MD got back into the game, tied the Spartans and had all the momentum.  DLS couldn't pass a whit, and when they got to 3rd and 32 we thought bingo.  Stop them here and go down and win the game.

Again before my time but another story from that game was in the book

Frank Allocco, who was ND’s QB that scored to get Rudy in the game, was DLS’s basketball coach at the time.  He won a state championship and finished #2 around this time at USAT.  He and Lad were great friends and he had licker room access during halftime.  He said it’s the first time he saw Lad’s genius — he described Lad as being very calm and talking about nothing else all halftime except the execution of that draw play they ran on 3rd and 32.  He said he thought at time, “what are you doing?  There’s pandemonium going on!!” And afterward thought “genius!”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Not what I was saying but Since you brought it up imo Texas had better depth in the 80‘s compared to other states 

Simple common sense says state that has continued to grow has not gone backwards.  The truth is we have greater quality depth this decade than in any other time.  Still going to get better this coming decade too 👍

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I didn't. I knew Dela was gonna have a great chance to get the win. If you can recollect , Dela had opportunities  to blow that game wide open. They gave MD a gift score and got beat on a bomb. Other than that , from what I remember, it was Dela's to lose. I ran into Eidsen at the donut shop near Dela a week after game. I told him " you guys should have blown  that team out " . He just nodded his head in agreement. They did just that the next go round in Stockton . To me , that was the great win because it cemented and verified the first game results. Of course, nothing beat that first Poly game which came 2 years later.

• Like 1