The greatest high school game ever played??

HSFBfan

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/i-done-wet-my-britches-the-story-of-the-greatest-high-school-football-game-ever-played-212026848.html

Green starred in maybe the most famous high school football game ever played, the amazing, preposterous, soul-crushing 1994 Texas playoff game between John Tyler and Plano East. What other high school game made “SportsCenter” for three straight nights? Or captured the attention of Jay Leno and David Letterman? Or sent millions to YouTube to watch grainy highlights? Or inspired reality TV producers to try to stage a rematch two decades later?

It took a perfect storm of factors for the ending of Plano East-John Tyler to go viral before the phrase even entered our lexicon. The matchup of undefeated state title contenders in Texas’ top playoff division featured three successful fourth-quarter onside kicks, an unprecedented comeback and an unforgettable finish.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/i-done-wet-my-britches-the-story-of-the-greatest-high-school-football-game-ever-played-212026848.html

Green starred in maybe the most famous high school football game ever played, the amazing, preposterous, soul-crushing 1994 Texas playoff game between John Tyler and Plano East. What other high school game made “SportsCenter” for three straight nights? Or captured the attention of Jay Leno and David Letterman? Or sent millions to YouTube to watch grainy highlights? Or inspired reality TV producers to try to stage a rematch two decades later?

It took a perfect storm of factors for the ending of Plano East-John Tyler to go viral before the phrase even entered our lexicon. The matchup of undefeated state title contenders in Texas’ top playoff division featured three successful fourth-quarter onside kicks, an unprecedented comeback and an unforgettable finish.

Cool story.  Kaint beat those announcers with the West Texas drawls.

Texas HS football was in their prime in the 1980s and 90's. 

Then the landscape shifted  to NJ, Fla, Calif, NV.  Sad

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

But do u agree that this is the greatest game ever??

It's up there.

Personally I'd vote for the 1981(Angeles/Trinity) League championship game between 9-0 teams, St. Paul and Bishop Amat.

Tied 14-14 in regulation, went 4 overtimes, won by SP 42-35

10,000 SRO Fans thought the game ended in a regulation tie, and rushed the field.  Cops had to back everyone to the 50 yrd line and sidelines for the overtime.

St. Paul ends up going 14-0 and winning the CIF and Calif State Championship D-1

St. Paul 21.jpg

St. Paul 20.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

It's up there.

Personally I'd vote for the 1981(Angeles/Trinity) League championship game between 9-0 teams, St. Paul and Bishop Amat.

10,000 SRO Fans thought the game ended in a regulation tie, and rushed the field.  Cops had to back everyone to the 50 yrd line and sidelines for the overtime.

St. Paul 21.jpg

St. Paul 20.jpg

Sounds like an exciting game

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Thx for the link on the Plano East vs Tyler game.  I had never heard of that game, but WOW!  Talk about an emotional rollercoaster for the fans.

This is why nothing beats HS football

Not a problem. I had a feeling people on here for obv reason would appreciate the story. It seemed like a hell of a game

7 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

It's up there.

St. Paul ends up going 14-0 and winning the CIF and Calif State Championship D-1

St. Paul 21.jpg

St. Paul 20.jpg

I was at that game ( My sister went to Amat, my mom didn’t like me so I had to go to public school) it was intense,  hadn’t been to or seen a better high school game since. The DLS/LB Poly  1 vs 2 game would be my second choice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

I was at that game ( My sister went to Amat, my mom didn’t like me so I had to go to public school) it was intense,  hadn’t been to or seen a better high school game since. The DLS/LB Poly  1 vs 2 game would be my second choice. 

That year marked the end of the St. Paul dynasty ('68-'81) and the beginning of the Amat dynasty that ran through 1995 or so.

Glad to hear that you you were there too.   You were right to describe the game as "INTENSE".  Those schools disliked each other greatly, add the fact that the league champ was also on the line, then the tie in regulation, then each overtime, made for off the chart INTENSITY.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

That year marked the end of the St. Paul dynasty ('68-'81) and the beginning of the Amat dynasty that ran through 1995 or so.

Glad to hear that you you were there too.   You were right to describe the game as "INTENSE".  Those schools disliked each other greatly, add the fact that the league champ was also on the line, then the tie in regulation, then each overtime, made for off the chart INTENSITY.

Not only the game,  but the fans. St Paul fans were brutal, if they had guns like they have now, there would have been a mass shooting.

48 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

It's up there.

St. Paul 21.jpg

St. Paul 20.jpg

19 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Urban myth.  LOL

@Cal 14 was asking why the SP campus field was called "The Pit" by the opponents.

I think the photos speak for themselves.

• Haha 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/gonzaga-beats-dematha-hail-mary-bonkers-wcac-championship-game

2018 DeMatha vs Gonzaga WCAC championship game. 3 lead changes in the last 34 seconds.  Nationally featured on Good Morning America, ESPN, NBC and numerous other national sites.  Considered by everyone (serious) to be the greatest game in the DC area.  Endless hyperbole for what is a legendary game. This is the complete, actual game broadcast:

Note:  the game starts after the first minute or so.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BigDrop said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/gonzaga-beats-dematha-hail-mary-bonkers-wcac-championship-game

2018 DeMatha vs Gonzaga WCAC championship game. 3 lead changes in the last 40 seconds.  Nationally featured on Good Morning America, ESPN, NBC and numerous other national sites.  Considered by everyone (serious) to be the greatest game in the DC area.  Endless hyperbole for what is a legendary game.

Good choice.  Fight to the death with an incredible ending .   Same as the DV vs Northshore game last year too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

2018 DeMatha vs Gonzaga WCAC championship game. 3 lead changes in the last 40 seconds.  Nationally featured on Good Morning America, ESPN, NBC and numerous other national sites.  Considered by everyone (serious) to be the greatest game in the DC area.  Endless hyperbole for what is a legendary game. This is the complete, actual game broadcast:

The video becomes incredible around the 3:17 mark.  DeMatha is still leading, 36-33, and Gonzaga has the ball with 34 seconds left.  There will be three touchdowns in 34 seconds including a 75 yard kickoff return (breaks 4 tackles) and a Hail Mary that is 65+ yards in the air as time runs out.  And then the td drive which starts all this to bring GZ back into the game from 20 points down. Outstanding commentary on the 1stAmendmentSports broadcast.

• Like 3

For me it was DLS Vs MD 1998....

Having Grown up and played HSFB in The OC, and Gone to College in Nor Cal it was a cant miss game....

I was living in San Diego and drove up to the “Big A” to go see the team I had read about in the newspaper and followed their “Streak”  in Nor Cal Play The Great OC Power MD who has recently won a couple of National Titles...

It was an incredible scene... Like 20k people in “The Big A” (Was The Biggest Stage for OC And Southern Section Football for Years), and MD looking like a College Team and Everyone was looking at DLS in the sideline going “That is The Team With 70 whatever wins?”....

Then DLS Bolts out to a 21-7 Lead and the tension in the place was incredible... Complete disbelief Everyone was shocked.... DLS was so Impressive with their execution, like nothing My Buddies and I had ever seen in So Cal Football...

.But in Classic Rollo Fashion MD Came storming Back and Tied the game, and the Crowd was on Fire, it had just become a heavyweight fight of Nor Cal vs So Cal...

Then Tied At 21-21 and DLS Facing 3rd and 21 Lad calls a Draw and The Great Atari Callen breaks one for a first down and all the momentum goes back to DLS.... Unbelievable...

DLS ends up scoring and winning 28-21... It was so incredible, you definitely felt like you were part of HSFB History with DLS Validating their Streak Beating the The OC’s Great National Champ MD....

There was just nothing like it.... Been a huge DLS Fan Ever Since!!!...

• Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, BigDrop said:

2018 DeMatha vs Gonzaga WCAC championship game. 3 lead changes in the last 34 seconds.  Nationally featured on Good Morning America, ESPN, NBC and numerous other national sites.  Considered by everyone (serious) to be the greatest game in the DC area.  Endless hyperbole for what is a legendary game. This is the complete, actual game broadcast:

Probably the best game of the last few years, at least among nationally relevant teams.

The 2016 semifinal between SJB and Cen10 is up there. Game ended 49-47 and there were like 5 lead changes in the 4th quarter.

• Like 3