Where the Actual is the SPP VS. DBP BNU thread?

BUFORDGAWOLVES

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

When your playing Cremepuffs 1/4 the schedule it’s a lot easier to stay healthy for the final game 

And?

See. We've seen this where I live too. Lowndes traditionally always plays an easy pre-region too. 

It's why we think some of you guys are dumbasses with your "they gotta fly to Cali or some other where and play the best" bullshit. 

This result proves it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They swore SJC would benefit greatly from a magnificent oos schedule, the toughest in history of all high school football scheduling. 

Lost. 

They swore SJR would benefit greatly from flying to Cali and blah blah blah, came home and got smacked around locally. 

Lost. 

Last year BC flew around, they swore they'd benefit greatly from it. Came back home and... yep, you guessed it...

Lost. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Okay... so the OOS angle has been 'splained.

I wanna know the "hate" angle, not necessarily why SPP won, or Bosco lost.

@imaGoodBoyNow, @GardenStateBaller, @StJoesFanboy, @noonereal

BGW

As a Bayonne & Hudson Cty person, I like SPP.  My parents wanted me to choose it over Marist, but they gave me a choice--big mistake for them and for me.  My brother and I have countless friends from Prep.  It's a great academic school.

I just root for Bosco now.  Great school, and what Toal did for NJ football is incalculable.  But when my son was visiting HSs, I encouraged him to go to SPP if he liked it.  It's got great tradition and alumni.

The "hate" or dislike by others, and sometimes I agree with their underlying reasons, is that Hanson is perceived to cut corners, he definitely plays weaker competition, he's perceived to unduly influence, etc., more than the average coach.  Recently, his calling Bergen Cty schools silver-spoon recipients, and his cakewalk into the finals annoyed many. 

I don't know enough to dislike him.  He's accomplished a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The path for everyone is different. It doesn't make one way more right over the other really. We see that both types of schedule can get a team to the same place. Hoisting the championship trophy. 

The funny thing is, the agenda gets shot down right in the backyard of the guys that have been the most vocal about it. 

There are guys on here with crazy and largely unrealistic expectations that every team has to act the same way.

53 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

In the history of NJ NPG4 football, never before have BC, DBP and SJR all been placed on the same side of the playoff bracket. Ever. 

This year (also for the first time ever) NJ NPG4 went to a brand new and improved "seeding by committee" process in order to correct the many faults and errors that the old system routinely created. The SPP HC is the current Head of the Super Football Conference and on the said seeding committee.

Miraculously, SPP was seeded on the same side of the bracket with lowly ND and SA. Coincidence? No f*cking way! #rigged 

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/article/st-peters-prep-ad-football-coach-named-president-of-super-football-conference/

They still beat DBP... twice. 

Who says they wouldn't have ran either bracket really?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

SPP actually has to play hard if they play either BC or SJR in around 2. And who says DBPs star RB gets injured vs lowly ND instead of BC? The committee was created to fix the system. It was manipulated and made worse. The worst ever in fact. 

SPP also knocked off BC. 

They lost to SJR, but, SJR lost to DBP and then SPP took DBP for the second time in the season. 

They look to have a pretty decent run of the BNU to me. 

Idk about the bracketology stuff, but, I guess I get it. 

It's not like SPP couldn't have knocked off BC a second time. The only fear would be SJR imo. The games were all closely enough connected. It does look like there was matchup issues between SJR and DBP and possibly SPP and SJR.

So is the thought that they were avoiding a potential matchup with SJR? 

Looks like they had everyone else's number.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

SPP also knocked off BC. 

They lost to SJR, but, SJR lost to DBP and then SPP took DBP for the second time in the season. 

They look to have a pretty decent run of the BNU to me. 

Idk about the bracketology stuff, but, I guess I get it. 

It's not like SPP couldn't have knocked off BC a second time. The only fear would be SJR imo. The games were all closely enough connected. It does look like there was matchup issues between SJR and DBP and possibly SPP and SJR.

So is the thought that they were avoiding a potential matchup with SJR? 

Looks like they had everyone else's number.

It’s all matchups, Bosco absolutely had Joes number this year but bosco got beat twice by Peters, and Joes ManHandled Peters this year,

• Thanks 1

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s all matchups, Bosco absolutely had Joes number this year but bosco got beat twice by Peters, and Joes ManHandled Peters this year,

But, SPP beat Bosco twice. 

Idk. Tough to say. 

I'd guess that SPP would have struggled with SJR in a second game, but, the fuss isn't about missing SJR in their bracket. 

So, I assume folks would have been more happy had BC been on the same bracket with SPP and DBP and SJR in the other. 

Still woulda ended up SPP winning over DBP in the final most likely. 

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

But, SPP beat Bosco twice. 

Idk. Tough to say. 

I'd guess that SPP would have struggled with SJR in a second game, but, the fuss isn't about missing SJR in their bracket. 

So, I assume folks would have been more happy had BC been on the same bracket with SPP and DBP and SJR in the other. 

Still woulda ended up SPP winning over DBP in the final most likely. 

It’s just fishy PC Bosco Joes and Bergen Catholic were on one bracket while SPP and South Jersey privates were in the other

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s just fishy PC Bosco Joes and Bergen Catholic were on one bracket while SPP and South Jersey privates were in the other

I get that, but, PC wasn't a threat at all, and they had beaten every other BNU team except SJR.

I don't know why they would avoid them intentionally, especially with the coach having a hand in the committee stuff. Just seems like he would know there would be a fuss and try to avoid it. It doesn't seem like he'd make a unilateral decision that would potentially open the door for questions. Idk. 

Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory though I reckon. 

• Like 1

If Joes were in SPP's bracket, I think they'd win and play Bosco.

If BC were in SPP's bracket, I think SPP'd win and play Bosco.

As for the SPP-is-a-bad-match-up-for-Bosco position, I wouldn't press that too hard.

BC beat us earlier in the season, and lost 24-7 at the season's end.  We were healthy, we got better, and we had Batts at FS.  So, BC wasn't a bad match; we just lost early in the yr, I would say.  Why doesn't that logic hold against SPP?

SPP beat us in last minute early in the season.  We got better.  We then beat everyone, including Joes, BC, and Joes again.  We lose Kyle in the BC game.  We re-injure him in the Joes game.  The most dynamic tailback in the State is shot for the SPP game--he runs for 1,000 and catches for 500 (estimates).  He makes his own yards, which is why Bosco fans, who might not always have the right answer, feel Kyle is a bigger loss than Berger--the stats bear that out. 

We're up 14-7 in the 1st half, and in q2, QB Robbins takes a knee to the head while he's essentially sitting on his backside on the sideline after being tackled.

So, against BC, we improve, we have Kyle for 3Qs, and we have Robbins and Batts.

1 of those 4 things isn't there against Joes--Kyle.

2 of those 4 things isn't there against SPP--Kyle and Robbins, both of whom arguably are the biggest reasons for the improvement.

It's all academic, as is the bad-match-up position.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I get that, but, PC wasn't a threat at all, and they had beaten every other BNU team except SJR.

I don't know why they would avoid them intentionally, especially with the coach having a hand in the committee stuff. Just seems like he would know there would be a fuss and try to avoid it. It doesn't seem like he'd make a unilateral decision that would potentially open the door for questions. Idk. 

Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory though I reckon. 

SPP didn't want Bosco again at yr's end until they had to play them.  They knew Bosco was a different team than 6 weeks or so before when they were losing at home, and converted a 4th and 25 (or something like that) to win at home in the last minute or so.  Back then, Robbins was starting his 1st varsity game against SPP.  Batts wasn't a DB yet.  3 Freshmen starting lineman were gaining a lot of experience as the season progressed.  Sabella was in his 1st year coaching.  Time was on Bosco's side.

Joes wanted us again, because they believed that they were better and had to avenge the 35-14 home loss. 

BC didn't want us, not that BC was cowardly at all, but they were in a funk, and they had key injuries. 

But as much as all of this MIGHT makes sense, it might not be true.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

we don't have Robbins; so, Joes become does a bad match up for us?  Robbins keeps defenses more honest.  There's a real throwing threat that Batts doesn't possess.  Robbins runs, also.

Kyle opens up things for Jalen. 

What's the score b/w Joes and Bosco in game 2 if Kyle plays healthy?  Closer to 35-14?  I doubt that, but 10-8 is awfully close to say we had your number.  I think 10-8 is more reflective of Kyle being injured and out 95% of the game, not the match up.

Key variables changed so that the "match ups" are skewed.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They still beat DBP... twice. 

Who says they wouldn't have ran either bracket really?

they might have.  they beat everyone they were supposed to beat, except Joes.

my view on Bosco's bracketing was that they hadn't earned the right to an easier path; so, I didn't pay too much attention.  They had a lot of proving to do.  SPP only lost to Joes, and earned the 1 seed.

Match ups:  Bosco in '12 beat BC in the regular season, but BC arguably was slightly better.  Bosco waxed PC 34-7 in the regular season (Hanks had 195 rushing yards, and Peppers had under 10), and could have beaten PC that yr 10 out of 10 times.  BC beat PC in the regular season by 14, PC had some drops that might have changed the outcome, as I understand.  But Bosco couldn't beat BC and its POY QB Germano in the semis.  BC lost to PC in the finals in the last minute or in OT--I forget.  Bosco would have matched up better.  Bosco still intimidated PC then, IMO.

in '12, Bosco lost in the last minute to a decent Gilman (Poggi's kid was a Sr), and largely got lucky, IMO, against STA, 20-10 in Florida.  Bosco still had remnants of tough kids who were just a notch below the highly-recruited kids, excepting AQM.

Ancient history for IMA.  Memory lane for me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StJoesFanboy said:

As a Bayonne & Hudson Cty person, I like SPP.  My parents wanted me to choose it over Marist, but they gave me a choice--big mistake for them and for me.  My brother and I have countless friends from Prep.  It's a great academic school.

I just root for Bosco now.  Great school, and what Toal did for NJ football is incalculable.  But when my son was visiting HSs, I encouraged him to go to SPP if he liked it.  It's got great tradition and alumni.

The "hate" or dislike by others, and sometimes I agree with their underlying reasons, is that Hanson is perceived to cut corners, he definitely plays weaker competition, he's perceived to unduly influence, etc., more than the average coach.  Recently, his calling Bergen Cty schools silver-spoon recipients, and his cakewalk into the finals annoyed many. 

I don't know enough to dislike him.  He's accomplished a lot.

Richie gets hate because SPP is from Hudson County and as such played weak Hudson county schools for decades in league play. The fact that he had no choice made no differance to the Bergen Elitists. Plus, it's simply just not a Bergen County school, yes all the "inner city" stereotypes also played into it although no one will admit it. Even more bizarre is that posters here don't know the differance between "inner city" and "urban!"

When OOS came around SPP was one of the leaders but it did not matter to the haters. They "choose" not to acknowledge this.

You know SPP is located in a great area but most the Bergen elites are flat out just frightened of places like Jersey City. 

Perceptions are often wrong. The hate SPP gets is born mostly of false perceptions. 

I have always thought that BC and Bosco did too much OOS play. Especially BC before they were ready. SPP has handled it all very well, reasoned, tempered. He got the kids to Europe for an OOS game for God's sake yet the Bergen crown complained! Talk about misplaced values....;)

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Richie gets hate because SPP is from Hudson County and as such played weak Hudson county schools for decades in league play. The fact that he had no choice made no differance to the Bergen Elitists. Plus, it's simply just not a Bergen County school, yes all the "inner city" stereotypes also played into it although no one will admit it. Even more bizarre is that posters here don't know the differance between "inner city" and "urban!"

When OOS came around SPP was one of the leaders but it did not matter to the haters. They "choose" not to acknowledge this.

You know SPP is located in a great area but most the Bergen elites are flat out just frightened of places like Jersey City. 

Perceptions are often wrong. The hate SPP gets is born mostly of false perceptions. 

I have always thought that BC and Bosco did too much OOS play. Especially BC before they were ready. SPP has handled it all very well, reasoned, tempered. He got the kids to Europe for an OOS game for God's sake yet the Bergen crown complained! Talk about misplaced values....;)

Interesting. Thanks, Nooner.😎

Still barely like you,

BGW

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, noonereal said:

There’s one and one reason only I can’t stand Jersey City 

2C0D082A-36CB-4CCC-BC06-191A3A965271.jpeg

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Perceptions are often wrong

You know who has one of the best OOS wins in NJ this year?

(8-0) Peddie, NJ beat (10-3) Archbishop Wood, PA 38-9..

I have NO clue who Peedie, NJ is....but, it's a BIG deal if Bergen Catholic and etc in NJ beats Wood....

Wood beat BC 27-21 in  2017

BC beat (10-4) Wood last year 21-7..

It's all hype and BS.