Basketball: Paul VI 67 IMG 56 (played at DeMatha)

BigDrop

IMG was ranked #2 in U.S.  DeMatha is hosting the “National Hoopsfest”  this weekend. On Thursday, 12/12, @8:00PM DeMatha #6 in U. S. plays #1 and defending national champion Montverde Academy in a game broadcast on ESPNU.

The WCAC is the strongest hs basketball league in America.  IMG found that out tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I love how some teams will gladly play IMG in hoops, but are deathly afraid to schedule them in football. #hypocrisy

The risk of leaving on a stretcher if you are outgunned is pretty much non-existent in basketball.  Pretty much the worst that can happen is you get to be the Generals for an hour or two.

• Like 3

I’m switching gears to hoops now. Should be a fun fun season. Sierra Canyon reloaded with transfers and are clear favorites in Cali, especially when Zaire Williams becomes eligible. I watched the MD game last night on ESPN3. They have 6 or 7 players that are all lengthy and interchangeable and move the ball around very well. They could challenge SC.

I am looking forward to MD playing DeMatha this season. I remember when they played in 1983 when a young Gary McKnight traveled East to take on Morgan Wooten’s team, which was won by DeMatha.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I think they'll drop a few games this year. Not really sold on bronny james and zaire wade. They got pushed to the limit by Duncanville. 

James and Wade are social media sensations. They are good players but not the reason that SC is highly ranked. They may become elite players but currently they are role players. The roster is loaded with better players like Amari Baily, Zaire Williams, Terren Frank, Brandon Boston. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

James and Wade are social media sensations. They are good players but not the reason that SC is highly ranked. They may become elite players but currently they are role players. The roster is loaded with better players like Amari Baily, Zaire Williams, Terren Frank, Brandon Boston. 

I agree. Too bad they can't participate in the Geico nationals. 

• Like 1

Montverde and IMG are both playing in the St. James tournament in Hagerstown, MD at the end of January. Wonder how much they had to shell out to get those teams to play in the same tournament. Hillcrest Prep and some other decent teams will also be there. When Montverde played in this tournament a few years ago they lost to St. Benedict's in the final and they cancelled the trophy presentation and cleared the gym when the coaches were ready to fight in the handshake line.

https://www.stjames.edu/athletics/tournaments/sjit-homepage

6 hours ago, MA Fan said:

Montverde and IMG are both playing in the St. James tournament in Hagerstown, MD at the end of January. Wonder how much they had to shell out to get those teams to play in the same tournament. Hillcrest Prep and some other decent teams will also be there. When Montverde played in this tournament a few years ago they lost to St. Benedict's in the final and they cancelled the trophy presentation and cleared the gym when the coaches were ready to fight in the handshake line.

https://www.stjames.edu/athletics/tournaments/sjit-homepage

DeMatha lost tonight to Sunrise Christian.  

10 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I’m switching gears to hoops now. Should be a fun fun season. Sierra Canyon reloaded with transfers and are clear favorites in Cali, especially when Zaire Williams becomes eligible. I watched the MD game last night on ESPN3. They have 6 or 7 players that are all lengthy and interchangeable and move the ball around very well. They could challenge SC.

I am looking forward to MD playing DeMatha this season. I remember when they played in 1983 when a young Gary McKnight traveled East to take on Morgan Wooten’s team, which was won by DeMatha.

I saw the ‘83 game at Takoma Academy.  Perhaps a hundred or more came from CA to support Mater Dei.  (Even their cheerleaders were there. note:  I was born in D. C. but married in CA in ‘96). That was a great DM team with Danny Ferry and Carlton Valentine. The are in their mid 50’s now!

DeMatha looked awful tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

I saw the ‘83 game at Takoma Academy.  Perhaps a hundred or more came from CA to support Mater Dei.  (Even their cheerleaders were there. note:  I was born in D. C. but married in CA in ‘96). That was a great DM team with Danny Ferry and Carlton Valentine. The are in their mid 50’s now!

DeMatha looked awful tonight.

Saw some of dematha game. Yep they did not look good tonight

Pleasantly surprised to see GC knock off top 20 nationally ranked Gonzaga

Impressed w Paul VI in game vs IMG, particularly 2/3 guard keels - lights out assassin w history of making big shots

Paul VI gonna be tough to beat in a WCAC playoff game

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, FootballGuy said:

WOW! Didn't see that coming. Definitely lookin forward to seeing Montverde Academy play. 

Off topic: how do you feel about sierra canyon? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/06/bronny-james-lebron-son-sierra-canyon-nba/ Great article about Sierra Csnyon in the Washington Post.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GCTEXAS said:

Saw some of dematha game. Yep they did not look good tonight

Pleasantly surprised to see GC knock off top 20 nationally ranked Gonzaga

Impressed w Paul VI in game vs IMG, particularly 2/3 guard keels - lights out assassin w history of making big shots

Paul VI gonna be tough to beat in a WCAC playoff game

Really lookin forward to the Paul VI vs Sierra Canyon game. Paul VI looked really good against IMG. 

• Like 1