The end of athletes’ pay as we know it? And perhaps a change in our own lives.

BigDrop

This is a fascinating commentary from Bayern Munich on the future of both athletes’ pay as well as what sports franchises may be in for at least in the near future.

Much will be dictated by how long we wait for a cure or vaccine but in the meantime there will probably only be a fraction who return to any kind of large gathering anywhere on earth-at least anytime soon.

I will add that the industry I retired from as a senior executive is absolutely terrified where this  could potentially lead.  If it’s a matter of just a few more months it might only be a lost season or year.  But if there are waves here or around the world and a vaccine is more than a year away this is frightening until then.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/4/4/21207569/oliver-bierhoff-karl-heinz-rummenigge-coronavirus-transfer-fee-boom-germany-bayern-munich

The reach of this may be extraordinary:  from Disney to Myrtle Beach to Michigan stadium to Fenway park to a cineplex to a restaurant to a hotel, airplane, cruise ship and on and on.  Even to weddings and church services.

And I haven’t said a word about the lost income of those who might go.  

Can I also mention that as a 73 year old man with heart valve disease I had not really been overly concerned with its eventual replacement.  (Miracle surgery called TAVR that is one or two nights in the hospital-Mick Jagger had it recently.) But if I somehow contract the coronavirus I would have a new and serious complication and concern.

The result is that over the years I built a wine cellar of over a thousand bottles.  Today, of course, there is only one clear and somewhat reassuring solution:  to begin drinking it down.

🍷and best of health to all!

And to memories of the good old days....

AC70E9F2-F7AC-4982-8B49-34A27D30C10D.jpeg

29EE1027-48BE-4DD6-8125-3B3F7DEFCCCD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10

On 4/3/2020 at 11:56 PM, BigDrop said:

This is a fascinating commentary from Bayern Munich on the future of both athletes’ pay as well as what sports franchises may be in for at least in the near future.

Much will be dictated by how long we wait for a cure or vaccine but in the meantime there will probably only be a fraction who return to any kind of large gathering anywhere on earth-at least anytime soon.

I will add that the industry I retired from as a senior executive is absolutely terrified where this  could potentially lead.  If it’s a matter of just a few more months it might only be a lost season or year.  But if there are waves here or around the world and a vaccine is more than a year away this is frightening until then.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/4/4/21207569/oliver-bierhoff-karl-heinz-rummenigge-coronavirus-transfer-fee-boom-germany-bayern-munich

The reach of this may be extraordinary:  from Disney to Myrtle Beach to Michigan stadium to Fenway park to a cineplex to a restaurant to a hotel, airplane, cruise ship and on and on.  Even to weddings and church services.

And I haven’t said a word about the lost income of those who might go.  

Can I also mention that as a 73 year old man with heart valve disease I had not really been overly concerned with its eventual replacement.  (Miracle surgery called TAVR that is one or two nights in the hospital-Mick Jagger had it recently.) But if I somehow contract the coronavirus I would have a new and serious complication and concern.

The result is that over the years I built a wine cellar of over a thousand bottles.  Today, of course, there is only one clear and somewhat reassuring solution:  to begin drinking it down.

🍷and best of health to all!

And to memories of the good old days....

AC70E9F2-F7AC-4982-8B49-34A27D30C10D.jpeg

29EE1027-48BE-4DD6-8125-3B3F7DEFCCCD.jpeg

Tbh Big Drop you're one of if not the most reasonable poster here. I hope you're around for awhile longer.  You've been to places and done things that right now I can only dream of and in all honesty probably won't get to do regardless. 

But I hope and pray everything goes well for you.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

TheMaximumHornetSting, could I add an observation to your truly gracious and generous comment?  

When I was 30 years old I was doing nothing with myself although I had a degree (political science-worthless!) from the University ofMaryland.  I sold insurance and drove a cab part time on weekends-a carry over from what I did in college.  And, essentially, I was broke.

I had no idea what I wand to do and certainly no path to learn how to do nothing.

Somehow, sometime I read something about a roller coaster club forming in Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA.  I went and found myself overwhelmed and in love with the park, rides and enjoyed the crazy people I found.

Later I found that I could read about the history of amusement parks (which had fascinated me since I was a kid) and starting spending hours each night of the week at the library of Congress where then (‘70’s) I could read the original manuscripts and books in the Stacks.  This led to the National Archives and libraries in cities up and down the eastern U. S. on weekend visits.  Then, having a base of information I reached out and approached people who had been significant in the industry as far back as the ‘20’s.  Then I started going to see them.

And I began to write about them.  Sometimes I even got paid for what I wrote !  Over time I learned a great deal about the history AND the operation of the industry.. Eventually I found the blueprints of what was arguably the best roller coaster of the 1920’s (Rye, NY Aeroplane) and approached a Swiss company  (major coaster builder) headquartered outside of Baltimore with the idea of rebuilding it and my having a role to help publicize it since I knew its history so well.

No interest.  But the presentation I made to them using old documents, tapes, photos and even bits of movies impressed them.  (At the time I was also sales mgr. of a coin ops company which itself was peripherally related to the industry-I had given up insurance and quit cab driving.). 

They thought of me as cheap labor with an industry background and liked my presentation skills and appreciated my limited travel.

Point is:  I found something I loved, learned everything I could about it, then identified how I could fit into a company and then went after the owner of the company to see if I could generate interest.

I am aggressive and totally full of it by nature-I like people and feel comfortable in most any situation.  But again, most importantly, I learned how to knock on a door and then went after it.

My whole life I worked my way into situations or bs’d into a meeting-I had to.  Wait until what  you start doing is in Europe and don’t speak any language other than English!)  But it can be done and, at a certain level most sr mgr speak some English.

Most on here could do the exact same if you really are interesting in something and believe in yourself.  And, I didn’t start until 30.  I retired at 70.

MaximumHornetSting,  forgive me because I don’t know you but is this a “path” to enter an interesting field that you would ever consider? 

The worst answer you’ll get is “no” and with each “no” you”ll get stronger.

Absolute best!

• Like 2