Racism in China getting out of hand

imaGoodBoyNow

17 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

That is weird as hell, not sure if it's racist or not.   My attention was where it should be, which is on her breasts.

Implying black is dirty and whiteness is pure and clean, and using races to depict that message.  Yep, that’s racist 

I’m more disappointed in the guy allowing himself to be used like that.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Implying black is dirty and whiteness is pure and clean, and using races to depict that message.  Yep, that’s racist 

I believe you and think you are right but at first I thought it was too damn obvious to be racist.  I thought there might be an outside chance that they were just being strange, kind of like those strange game shows. 

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

I believe you and think you are right but at first I thought it was too damn obvious to be racist.  I thought there might be an outside chance that they were just being strange, kind of like those strange game shows. 

Nah, China has a problem with racism.  This is par for the course. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I’m more disappointed in the guy allowing himself to be used like that.  

That's an old Commercial and they were called out about it years ago.  Yeah that Brotha needs an awakening 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Nah, China has a problem with racism.  This is par for the course. 

The Redskin sent this to me a few days ago.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-racism-discrimination-africa-china-326de397-a3f9-4993-9c8b-1dd303b593db.html

The discrimination has gone further: A McDonald's branch in Guangzhou posted a notice saying, "We’ve been informed that from now on black people are not allowed to enter the restaurant." McDonald's later apologized.

Over the past week, hundreds of African migrant workers, traders, and students in the southern city of Guangzhou, home to Asia’s largest African diaspora, were tossed out onto the street—some by their landlords, some by hotel managers, and some by local officials. Those evicted, mostly Igbo Nigerians, insisted that they had paid their rent, had valid visas and the right paperwork, and had no contact with anybody infected with COVID-19. Meanwhile, many others were forced into a 14-day quarantine and random testing without getting their test results. Tony Mathias, an Ugandan exchange student, told Agence France-Presse: “I’ve been sleeping under the bridge for four days with no food to eat. … I cannot buy food anywhere. No shops or restaurants will serve me.”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

The Redskin sent this to me a few days ago.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-racism-discrimination-africa-china-326de397-a3f9-4993-9c8b-1dd303b593db.html

The discrimination has gone further: A McDonald's branch in Guangzhou posted a notice saying, "We’ve been informed that from now on black people are not allowed to enter the restaurant." McDonald's later apologized.

Over the past week, hundreds of African migrant workers, traders, and students in the southern city of Guangzhou, home to Asia’s largest African diaspora, were tossed out onto the street—some by their landlords, some by hotel managers, and some by local officials. Those evicted, mostly Igbo Nigerians, insisted that they had paid their rent, had valid visas and the right paperwork, and had no contact with anybody infected with COVID-19. Meanwhile, many others were forced into a 14-day quarantine and random testing without getting their test results. Tony Mathias, an Ugandan exchange student, told Agence France-Presse: “I’ve been sleeping under the bridge for four days with no food to eat. … I cannot buy food anywhere. No shops or restaurants will serve me.”

Yep!  That’s exactly what I saw on the root.  Ridiculous 

• Like 1

I was going to leave this topic alone, but on reflection, I have decided to say my ten cents.

As some of you may know from previous posts, I have a son who lives in China. In fact, he has lived in the far east for the last 10 years, 4 in Thailand and 6 in China. During his time abroad I have visited him twice. He is married to a Chinese woman, and currently considers China his home. He is also Afro-American or Ja-merican, if you want to call him that. 

Before snap judgments are made about the attitudes to race of Chinese nationals, some context is necessary. First, the number of non-Chinese individuals living in China, a country of 1.3 billion people, pales in comparison to the number of minorities including African Americans in the United States of America. In fact, aside from the five or six largest cities in China the foreign presence is minimal. A second consideration, is the fact that China did not participate in the enslavement of any foreign individuals, at least not in its recent past (over the past 500 years). So, the built in tensions that have existed for centuries between blacks and whites in the USA has no such precedent in China (yellow versus blacks). 

Like his dad, my son is a pretty straight shooter. So, I take him at his word when I have asked about race relations in China. Is there racism? Sure. Is it pervasive? Not in his experience, but in his six years there he has lived in only three different cities, all within a radius of 500 miles, so his experience does not encompass the totality of what is a vast country, both geographically and by population. He has also taken the time to learn Mandarin and acquaint himself with the country's history which has gone a far way in putting his Chinese hosts at ease.

My sister who wears her hair in dreads attended his wedding and spent 11 days with me and my wife in China at that time. It was her experience (and I saw it with my own eyes) that in Wuxi, where my son lived at the time, the native Chinese people were fascinated by her dreadlocks and kept asking to take pictures with her. I think this had as much to do with the fact that most of the individuals there had never seen a real live black person sporting dreads before as to any inherent attitude towards race; but who knows? I can say that over the 11 days, there we detected no issue that either of us or my wife, for that matter, could attribute to race. In fact, at a large Chinese market two young Chinese girls, anxious to show off their English skills, attached themselves to our entourage and spent the better part of an hour guiding us through the place. At no time did they exhibit any noticeable sign of fear or discomfort, which I have detected only too often here in the USA with children of like age (one was elementary school age the other middle school age). 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I was going to leave this topic alone, but on reflection, I have decided to say my ten cents.

As some of you may know from previous posts, I have a son who lives in China. In fact, he has lived in the far east for the last 10 years, 4 in Thailand and 6 in China. During his time abroad I have visited him twice. He is married to a Chinese woman, and currently considers China his home. He is also Afro-American or Ja-merican, if you want to call him that. 

Before snap judgments are made about the attitudes to race of Chinese nationals, some context is necessary. First, the number of non-Chinese individuals living in China, a country of 1.3 billion people, pales in comparison to the number of minorities including African Americans in the United States of America. In fact, aside from the five or six largest cities in China the foreign presence is minimal. A second consideration, is the fact that China did not participate in the enslavement of any foreign individuals, at least not in its recent past (over the past 500 years). So, the built in tensions that have existed for centuries between blacks and whites in the USA has no such precedent in China (yellow versus blacks). 

Like his dad, my son is a pretty straight shooter. So, I take him at his word when I have asked about race relations in China. Is there racism? Sure. Is it pervasive? Not in his experience, but in his six years there he has lived in only three different cities, all within a radius of 500 miles, so his experience does not encompass the totality of what is a vast country, both geographically and by population. He has also taken the time to learn Mandarin and acquaint himself with the country's history which has gone a far way in putting his Chinese hosts at ease.

My sister who wears her hair in dreads attended his wedding and spent 11 days with me and my wife in China at that time. It was her experience (and I saw it with my own eyes) that in Wuxi, where my son lived at the time, the native Chinese people were fascinated by her dreadlocks and kept asking to take pictures with her. I think this had as much to do with the fact that most of the individuals there had never seen a real live black person sporting dreads before as to any inherent attitude towards race; but who knows. I can say that over the 11 days, there we detected no issue that either of us or my wife, for that matter, could attribute to race. In fact, at a large Chinese market two young Chinese girls, anxious to show off their English skills, attached themselves to our entourage and spent the better part of an hour guiding us through the place. At no time did they exhibit any noticeable sign of fear or discomfort, which I have detected only too often here in the USA with children of like age (one was elementary school age the other middle school age). 

The African is having a much different experience.  As a matter of fact this city is called little Africa.  Many married Chinese women and they are now facing severe racism with COVID 19.  

https://newint.org/features/2019/03/11/‘little-africa’-china

Guangzhou is home to Asia’s largest African migrant population, who come to China chasing business opportunities, reputable universities and low living costs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

My sister who wears her hair in dreads attended his wedding and spent 11 days with me and my wife in China at that time. It was her experience (and I saw it with my own eyes) that in Wuxi, where my son lived at the time, the native Chinese people were fascinated by her dreadlocks and kept asking to take pictures with her. I think this had as much to do with the fact that most of the individuals there had never seen a real live black person sporting dreads before as to any inherent attitude towards race; but who knows. I can say that over the 11 days, there we detected no issue that either of us or my wife, for that matter, could attribute to race. In fact, at a large Chinese market two young Chinese girls, anxious to show off their English skills, attached themselves to our entourage and spent the better part of an hour guiding us through the place. At no time did they exhibit any noticeable sign of fear or discomfort, which I have detected only too often here in the USA with children of like age (one was elementary school age the other middle school age). 

I’d be curious to know if your son could shed light on how or if China is reporting the allegation of Uighur muslims being contained in concentration camps. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

The African is having a much different experience.  As a matter of fact this city is called little Africa.  Many married Chinese women and they are now facing severe racism with COVID 19.  

https://newint.org/features/2019/03/11/‘little-africa’-china

Guangzhou is home to Asia’s largest African migrant population, who come to China chasing business opportunities, reputable universities and low living costs.

This is not so surprising. It has been my experience that in relatively homogeneous societies, the natives don't have an issue with immigrants if they are few in number. But when they become a large number, particularly if they live in just one or two regions, the attitude changes quickly. 

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I’d be curious to know if your son could shed light on how or if China is reporting the allegation of Uighur muslims being contained in concentration camps. 

And this 

The mistreatment of Africans in Guangzhou is a big threat to China’s coronavirus diplomacy

As a result, many Africans in Guangzhou, including Nigerians, Ugandans and Ghanaians, have been subject to unfair treatment. Some have being evicted by landlords or rejected by hotels, and some even left homeless. The city, and the government in Beijing, are now facing a full-blown diplomatic crisis and PR disaster amid accusations of racism. A group of African ambassadors in Beijing wrote a letter of complaint to the Chinese government about the “stigmatization and discrimination” being faced by Africans. Other African diplomats, facing domestic pressure, have held discussions with representatives from China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Many African countries will be particularly disappointed given how much their diplomats have spoken up for China on the international stage. African governments have supported China on issues including its membership of the UN in the 1970s, territorial disputes in the South China Sea and treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang.

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

When we next Discord (possibly over this weekend) I will bring up the subject with him including Guangzhou. 

He is also friends with a Senegalese African who teaches at his school, so maybe I can have him get his take on the situation as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

The Africa American Brotha as you know is a much different Man than an African Brotha.  And is more likely to receive preferential treatment abroad.  

True, although given the current state of affairs between China and the USA, trade tensions, and blame over Covid-19, Americans in general are not perceived in the same light in China as they were two or three years ago. 

• Like 1

I will assure you if they did that to Black American Students there would be way more attention given and the weight of ths U.S. State Department would be immense.   An African don't have that Luxury.   Especially since Africa has rolled over for the Chinese Wan and investments.  Hell they supported China abuse of Uighur's Muslims.

24 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

This is not so surprising. It has been my experience that in relatively homogeneous societies, the natives don't have an issue with immigrants if they are few in number. But when they become a large number, particularly if they live in just one or two regions, the attitude changes quickly. 

Never lived in China but spent a week in Hong Kong on a Port Call prior to its return to China.  I will tell You there was racism there.  And it was inspired by the British.  I did get to befriend a  Chinese dude who visited the U.S and loved Jazz and Hip hop  and took me around and we chilled in Kowloon.  But without him I couldn't get a Taxi and was told that the British taught them that Blacks only steal and rape women.  Imagine the biggest damn thief and greatest rapist in History teaching that to anyone.  I responded how funny you have a Hong Kong Dollar and the Queen is everywhere here but you fear me.  No wonder they took your Shait.  True story.   A British lady in a Bar even wished death on me and 3 Marines by saying I hope Sadaam kill all you Yanks.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Never lived in China but spent a week in Hong Kong on a Port Call prior to its return to China.  I will tell You there was racism there.  And it was inspired by the British.  I did get to befriend a  Chinese dude who visited the U.S and loved Jazz and Hip hop  and took me around and we chilled in Kowloon.  But without him I couldn't get a Taxi and was told that the British taught them that Blacks only steal and rape women.  Imagine the biggest damn thief and greatest rapist in History teaching that to anyone.  I responded how funny you have a Hong Kong Dollar and the Queen is everywhere here but you fear me.  No wonder they took your Shait.  True story.   A British lady in a Bar even wished death on me and 3 Marines by saying I hope Sadaam kill all you Yanks.  

When the British were top dog, they treated the entire world as their footstool. With regard to slavery, I would take the position that they were worse than the Spaniards in their treatment of Africans who worked the land they had stolen from the native Indians of the so called new world. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Oh boy, I can’t imagine how you all responded.  

12 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Oh boy, I can’t imagine how you all responded.  

We left extremely pissed.  Coincidently 3 Australian Sailors were outside walking toward us and they asked if we were going to the Persian Gulf.  We said Yep!    They started yelling  "Stick it up his ass Mate"  3 times while extremely  inebriated 😁.  No matter the Nation no one does Liberty like a Damn Sailor.   Made the anger go away and we laughed our asses off with them. 

First and only time I've  been called a Yank and a Mate in the same day 😁

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

When the British were top dog, they treated the entire world as their footstool. With regard to slavery, I would take the position that they were worse than the Spaniards in their treatment of Africans who worked the land they had stolen from the native Indians of the so called new world. 

A very intelligent friend of mine here in Allen is Mexican and we challenge each other every day to teach the other something no matter how minute.  Since the homie met me he absolutely hate the Spaniards.  At least once a week he says Fuck them.  That dude knows black history more than 90% of African Americans.   A knowledge  gangsta.  He absolutely loathes Trump.  

This was the 1st topic I challenged him on to study and after I  asked why are you a Catholic?

The Pueblo Revolt of 1680—also known as Popé's Rebellion

This shook him

In 1598 Juan de Onate led 129 soldiers and 10 Franciscan Catholic priests plus a large number of women, children, servants, slaves, and livestock into the Rio Grande valley of New Mexico. There were at the time approximately 40,000 Pueblo Indians inhabiting the region. Oñate put down a revolt at Acoma Pueblo by killing and enslaving hundreds of the Indians and sentencing all men 25 or older to have their foot cut off. The Acoma Massacre would instill fear of the Spanish in the region for years to come, though Franciscan missionaries were assigned to several of the Pueblo towns to Christianize the natives.

Especially egregious to the Pueblo was the assault on their traditional religion. Franciscan priests established theocracies many of the Pueblo villages. The priests converted the Pueblos to build the Spanish empire in New Mexico. In 1608, when it looked as though Spain might abandon the province, the Franciscans baptized seven thousand Pueblos to try to convince the Crown otherwise. Although the Franciscans initially tolerated manifestations of the old religion as long as the Puebloans attended mass and maintained a public veneer of Catholicism,