Judgement call

FootballGuy

Remember a few years ago when a playoff baseball game had to be replayed between Lee County and Johns Creek due to a judgement call? Well how come those rules didn't apply to this situation? Now I'm aware that we're comparing semifinals to a state championship game, but still the ref made a judgement call in this game that cost Peach County a state championship....possibly. What y'all think? @TheMaximumHornetSting @HawgGoneIt @Sweetlarry @ATLien12x @BUFORDGAWOLVES

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Remember a few years ago when a playoff baseball game had to be replayed between Lee County and Johns Creek due to a judgement call? Well how come those rules didn't apply to this situation? Now I'm aware that we're comparing semifinals to a state championship game, but still the ref made a judgement call in this game that cost Peach County a state championship....possibly. What y'all think? @TheMaximumHornetSting @HawgGoneIt @Sweetlarry @ATLien12x @BUFORDGAWOLVES

Good Lord!!! That was WWIII!

Bahahaha. 

bgw

10 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I feel like Peach got hosed, and the GHSA was found wanting again. It seems to happen a lot with them. 

This incident brought up to the forefront the potential need for replay reviews, at least when video evidence is available, especially in state championship games. They of course decided not to allow those type reviews.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The GHSA does some bone head stuff occasionally imo. The debacle with the state championships due to freezing rain and ice, when some teams were already at the benz, and cancelling that weekends games then moving home stadiums and that type bullshit. 

The clearly missed call in that video between Peach and Calhoun. 

The Newton kid playing ball for a single season at Grayson then graduating at Newton. 

Moving the football championships to Georgia State from the Benz. 

Just to name a few that are fresh in my mind. 

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I feel like Peach got hosed, and the GHSA was found wanting again. It seems to happen a lot with them. 

This incident brought up to the forefront the potential need for replay reviews, at least when video evidence is available, especially in state championship games. They of course decided not to allow those type reviews.

The crazy thing is this: their was video evidence for the lee county/johns creek baseball game, and they gladly reviewed that incident, but they turned a blind eye to this situation. 

• Like 1

I remember on twitter people already at the dome saying roads were ok. Plus videos showing roads were fine.  Then having no back up plan in place.

Plus on top of that  Alabama teams played the day before in the same snowstorm  outdoors at Bryant Denny. The GHSA called the games off with having them indoors.  You have idiots running the GHSA.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The GHSA does some bone head stuff occasionally imo. The debacle with the state championships due to freezing rain and ice, when some teams were already at the benz, and cancelling that weekends games then moving home stadiums and that type bullshit. 

The clearly missed call in that video between Peach and Calhoun. 

The Newton kid playing ball for a single season at Grayson then graduating at Newton. 

Moving the football championships to Georgia State from the Benz. 

Just to name a few that are fresh in my mind. 

Do you feel like GHSA moving the games from the Benz to the schools negatively affected some teams? I'm referring to 2017 by the way.

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Do you feel like GHSA moving the games from the Benz to the schools negatively affected some teams? I'm referring to 2017 by the way.

Eh, idk. The moving to home stadiums was more of just a seemingly unfair thing after having played those games in neutral locations. 

The postponing and all of that is what was more of a negative effect imo. I'd say it hurt the visiting teams moreso just mentally really. When you spend the two weeks prior pumping the kids mentally, then suffer a letdown/deflation after being at the Benz and learning you just have to load up and go home... Then find out you have to travel to the opponent's stadium after all of that, while the opponent gets the luxury of sitting home. Idk. Seems like making excuses, but, it's easy to see how that type stuff can negatively affect the team psyche. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Eh, idk. The moving to home stadiums was more of just a seemingly unfair thing after having played those games in neutral locations. 

The postponing and all of that is what was more of a negative effect imo. I'd say it hurt the visiting teams moreso just mentally really. When you spend the two weeks prior pumping the kids mentally, then suffer a letdown/deflation after being at the Benz and learning you just have to load up and go home... Then find out you have to travel to the opponent's stadium after all of that, while the opponent gets the luxury of sitting home. Idk. Seems like making excuses, but, it's easy to see how that type stuff can negatively affect the team psyche. 

Colquitt traveling 6 times to Atlanta to play 5 games. Something is wrong in that set up. Thankfully in Alabama on ties it goes by times traveled or who is top of the bracket or on bottom. 

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's called the Atlanta effect. All title games should be at a neutral site.  Some of those 2017 titles are tainted. 

12 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well... to be fair. The Pack gave that game away. How much of that “effect” played on the Packers, IDK. 

bgw

Hard to say. Overall just think fatigue sets in on the coaches and kids after so much travel and then having the big emotional build up to a title game and subsequent let down of cancellation while already in the stadium going through all your pregame routine and all. 

Personally I think the game would be way different the day it was supposed to happen  at the Benz. It is what it is though. No way to tell honestly. All conjecture. The only thing for sure is it got passed away in the final seconds of regulation at NG and it took an untimed down to finish it. 

• Like 1

It oughta be good season coming up, IF we have one. 

Interesting all around, South Ga especially then Buford is rekindling an old, old rivalry with Dacula but keep a eye on Lanier... just down the street, y’all remember Lanier doncha? Derrian Brown high draft pick and a great rb off to a power 5... so talent is there. 

bgw

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Hard to say. Overall just think fatigue sets in on the coaches and kids after so much travel and then having the big emotional build up to a title game and subsequent let down of cancellation while already in the stadium going through all your pregame routine and all. 

Personally I think the game would be way different the day it was supposed to happen  at the Benz. It is what it is though. No way to tell honestly. All conjecture. The only thing for sure is it got passed away in the final seconds of regulation at NG and it took an untimed down to finish it. 

That’s the advantage of “ having a finger on the pulse” of the program as opposed to an outsider just watching the game. 

bgw

27 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It's called the Atlanta effect. All title games should be at a neutral site.  Some of those 2017 titles are tainted. 

They’re not tainted. If the other teams had won would they be? 

That’s the way it goes Brother. Life isn’t fair. Had your boy been able to count it would be different. All I heard was how the great crp was Gonna coach circles around stewie and la-DEE-da. I bought in too! I mean, a bunch of sophomores from Marietta scores 41 at NG with our best player out with an acl tear in the first Qtr. So what did my dumbass do? I bet on the greatest coach to grace God’s green earth to beat ng! 

What happened? Too many guys on the field not once, OH NO, but twice!!! 

How in the fuck do you get b2b too many men penalties in the state title game with less than a minute to go in the 4th quarter?!? Still can’t believe it happened! 

1 minute ago, Sweetlarry said:

They’re not tainted. If the other teams had won would they be? 

That’s the way it goes Brother. Life isn’t fair. Had your boy been able to count it would be different. All I heard was how the great crp was Gonna coach circles around stewie and la-DEE-da. I bought in too! I mean, a bunch of sophomores from Marietta scores 41 at NG with our best player out with an acl tear in the first Qtr. So what did my dumbass do? I bet on the greatest coach to grace God’s green earth to beat ng! 

What happened? Too many guys on the field not once, OH NO, but twice!!! 

How in the fuck do you get b2b too many men penalties in the state title game with less than a minute to go in the 4th quarter?!? Still can’t believe it happened! 

It's called being disorganized and that falls on the head coach. Still never seen a PI call on a hail mary at the High school level.

18 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It's called being disorganized and that falls on the head coach. Still never seen a PI call on a hail mary at the High school level.

I used to referee back home. The one thing I tried to be consistent about was calls. If it was a call on the first play of the game it was on the last as well.

If you think it wasn’t PI you have a gripe. If you disagree with the timing you don’t. If you commit the foul it’s a foul.