As we approach Friday evening

HSFBfan

47 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Do you honestly believe putting conservatives in charge of the cities that are in the worst shape (as regards regular killing) would help?  The issues run much deeper than political ideology.

Absolutely. Conservative are proven to be a lot tougher on crime 

And as I say that yes the issues go very deep. But the one running the shitholes have absolutely no intention of ever fixing the problems 

3 hours ago, concha said:

You are unaware that Democrats have controlled most of our major urban centers for many decades? It's not hard to educate yourself about that.

You can't see any connection between the modern welfare state and criminal reforms that have led to roughly 70% of black kids growing up in single parent homes? In the early 60s it was about 2 in 10.

Are you unaware of the statistics for kids growing up in situations where they only have one parent in their lives and no education?

This past year in 13 of Baltimore's high schools (about 1/3 of schools), there were zero (not fucking one!) students proficient in math.

Woke people stay STFU about it.

Matter of time before you dropped your partisan bullshit. 

Definitely pathological, or something. 

All you’ve proven is your ability to regurgitate rehashed talking points that you’ve gleaned from here over the years. 

Maybe the paragraph blasting is impressive to the weak minded, but not here. 

Ive explained my position tactfully but you chose to ignore it to feed your narcissistic obsessive desire to be right and have the last word. 

So, stfu Conchita. 

bgw

25 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Uh huh... any more copy and paste from the Workers Revolution Party, Conchita?

Maybe OANN has something something talking points for ya.

Seem a little gun shy.

bgw

After the comprehensive dismantling of the article and all the dates and facts and shit it contained that you masterfully performed, I am a little gun shy. No, wait, that never happened. Could you please jump right on that, Woke Larry?

And I don't watch OANN.

7 hours ago, concha said:

After the comprehensive dismantling of the article and all the dates and facts and shit it contained that you masterfully performed, I am a little gun shy. No, wait, that never happened. Could you please jump right on that, Woke Larry?

And I don't watch OANN.

Sure.... I’ll get right on that as soon as you finish binging on Ren and Stimpy. 

bgw

2 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Fuuuucccckkkk no!!! You’re kinda of a homophobe anyways. 

How does that work with you Dumbwoody types anyways, Deliverance or Prison bitch? Grudge sex?

Must be be pretty bad over there on Conchita lane, Dunwoody  

bgw

It's almost flattering that you fantasize about me, Little Boy Lover Larry, the cargo van and ice cream man...

3 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Pretty much par for the course....sad.

Yes, if you look at the Chicago homicide rate for the last five years and average it, Chicago is on pace to hit their average.  From a statistical perspective, this would indicate an as expected result.  In other words, the situation is normal or “in control”.  

While to many of us, it seems horrific, societally, it has become just background noise, similar to death rates due to heart disease, diabetes, influenza etc.  

What’s worse, is that if you look at Chicago relative to the 30 worst cities in terms of homicide rate per capita, it falls mid pack.  St.Louis, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Oakland all have higher rates.  Similar to Chicago though, since the rates are tracking “as normal”, it doesn’t evoke a higher level of response.

There is no easy answer. The toughest to solve problems are always a combination of multiple factors that all have to be addressed.  Some of the solution has to come externally from those cities, some has to come internally, specifically from the communities that are the hardest hit.  

Problem is, people have lined up on one of two sides for pretty much every significant issue that faces society today.  Neither side wants to flinch and give in.   There is no viable middle zone, and thus effectively no real compromise. 

So yes, overall it is vey sad, but given the current climate, I don’t see it getting better any time soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Yes, if you look at the Chicago homicide rate for the last five years and average it, Chicago is on pace to hit their average.  From a statistical perspective, this would indicate an as expected result.  In other words, the situation is normal or “in control”.  

While to many of us, it seems horrific, societally, it has become just background noise, similar to death rates due to heart disease, diabetes, influenza etc.  

What’s worse, is that if you look at Chicago relative to the 30 worst cities in terms of homicide rate per capita, it falls mid pack.  St.Louis, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Oakland all have higher rates.  Similar to Chicago though, since the rates are tracking “as normal”, it doesn’t evoke a higher level of response.

There is no easy answer. The toughest to solve problems are always a combination of multiple factors that all have to be addressed.  Some of the solution has to come externally from those cities, some has to come internally, specifically from the communities that are the hardest hit.  

Problem is, people have lined up on one of two sides for pretty much every significant issue that faces society today.  Neither side wants to flinch and give in.   There is no viable middle zone, and thus effectively no real compromise. 

So yes, overall it is vey sad, but given the current climate, I don’t see it getting better any time soon.

Wrong.

As of 7/11, the number of homicides in Chicago is the highest in at least the last 12 years. As of yesterday, there were 384. The closest other year in the last dozen was 366 and the average is 304.

2020_murder_trend_071220.png

St Louis is on track for its worst year in several.  There were 16 homicides in the first nine days of July alone.

Baltimore has seen its worst May-June in at least a decade.

Atlanta is up significantly.

Philadelphia is up 30% YoY.

Murder Is Up This Year, and in Recent Months

Nine of 10 large U.S. cities have had more murders this year compared with last year at this time, and murder has tended to accelerate since the start of the pandemic. 

Year-to-date change, from 2019 to 2020
City 2020 Pre-Covid Through Parts of June 2020
Chicago 16% 34%
Philadelphia 11% 23%
Oakland, Calif. -41% -8%
Los Angeles -3% 5%
Atlanta -17% 4%
Nashville 92% 43%
New York -13% 23%
New Orleans 14% 36%
Indianapolis 75% 38%
Jacksonville, Fla. -3% 13%
Source: Police departments and media reports By The New York Times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, concha said:

Wrong.

As of 7/11, the number of homicides in Chicago is the highest in at least the last 12 years. As of yesterday, there were 384. The closest other year in the last dozen was 366 and the average is 304.

2020_murder_trend_071220.png

St Louis is on track for its worst year in several.  There were 16 homicides in the first nine days of July alone.

Baltimore has seen its worst May-June in at least a decade.

Atlanta is up significantly.

Philadelphia is up 30% YoY.

Murder Is Up This Year, and in Recent Months

Nine of 10 large U.S. cities have had more murders this year compared with last year at this time, and murder has tended to accelerate since the start of the pandemic. 

Year-to-date change, from 2019 to 2020
City 2020 Pre-Covid Through Parts of June 2020
Chicago 16% 34%
Philadelphia 11% 23%
Oakland, Calif. -41% -8%
Los Angeles -3% 5%
Atlanta -17% 4%
Nashville 92% 43%
New York -13% 23%
New Orleans 14% 36%
Indianapolis 75% 38%
Jacksonville, Fla. -3% 13%
Source: Police departments and media reports By The New York Times

Ok, I stand corrected.  I was looking at data from early June, so yes Chicago is trending a little higher but not significantly.  

The pre and post Covid data you present for other cities is only for 2020 and the Covid situation might go down as assignable cause, although we’ll have to wait for the Covid thing to pass and see how that impacts the rate.

Bottom line though, the rates are roughly the same over the last few years and as I stated, have become what is “expected”. 

When something happens “as expected”, it becomes the norm, and thus doesn’t require steps to adjust it.  

Having lived in St.Louis for 9 years and managing a pool of mostly black workers, I can tell you there are fundamental differences in perspective that explain a lot about why things are the way they are.  

I agree that the way many of these cities are managed isn’t the solution, but to think that just throwing conservative leadership in will solve the issues isn’t the solution.

Just send money, isn’t the answer either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Ok, I stand corrected.  I was looking at data from early June, so yes Chicago is trending a little higher but not significantly.  

26% higher than average is "a little higher but not significantly".

80 dead people.

43% higher than last year.

115 dead people.

Holy shit, dude.

16 minutes ago, concha said:

26% higher than average is "a little higher but not significantly".

80 dead people.

43% higher than last year.

115 dead people.

Holy shit, dude.

Dude, stop cherry picking individual pieces of data.  I deal with data every day for establishing, analyzing, and refining processes.   However, the numbers only tell me whether or not I’ve made an improvement.  It’s the actions taken to improve the processes that make the difference.  

Yes, violence in the inner cities is a problem.  Even if it were half of what it is today, that’s still a lot of misery for a “first world” country.  

What would you consider an acceptable homicide rate as an achievable goal for a healthy society?  

• Like 1