My Request To HawgGoneIt....

Rufus69

Amigo,

Today's Disturber has a good article on the OTAs and the Hoover 7 on 7s.  Be a Good Hawg and replicate it for the "gurus" on this board.  Rush has some good stuff to preach.  Add to that...I'm giving you ONE job...and that's to get Steven and JJ ready for the season.  

Rufus>>

• Like 2

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/big-chance-for-packers-to-step-up-at-ota/article_b4cb0126-6b45-11e7-b199-d3f4de5e2927.html

Big chance for Packers to step up at OTA

• By Matthew Brown

MOULTRIE – There’s more concerns about the health of five-star linebacker J.J. Peterson than how to finally beat McGill-Toolen in a 7-on-7 football game. As fun as the tournaments are – along with the joy of displaying a trophy like the one from the Kirby Smart 7-on-7 at the University of Georgia – Rush Propst was certainly glad on Monday with part of the summer being over for the Colquitt County High Packers.

Now, the coach wants to put full attention on real 11-on-11 football, and that’s what’s going to happen for the next three days at the old high school practice fields. The second organized team activity (OTA) padded camp of the summer begins today with three other schools in Moultrie: Collins Hill, Gainesville and Thomas County-Central.

It was at the end of last week that Propst took a majority of the Packer roster – skill players to be precise – to Hoover, Ala., for one of the USA Football National Championship 7-on-7 tournaments. After pool play Thursday and Friday, Colquitt County ended up with a 5-1 record and a No. 4 seed for the single elimination championship bracket.

“That’s the highest we’ve ever been seeded,” said Propst, whose made this trip an annual event of the summer. It’s a tournament he began as head coach at Hoover High School in 2001. “It’s become the elite 7-on-7 tournament in the country. It’s real competitive. I felt we played really well in pool play. What was a surprise was how well we played defensively.

“In the Corky Kell (7-on-7) we didn’t play very good defense. We played well the day before in Athens when we won it, but the next day I don’t know if it was lack of energy, but we just didn’t play very well.”

At Hoover, the Packers were fourth to Walton High, Dutch Fork, S.C.; and Thompson, Ala., in fewest points allowed during the pool games (77).

“We had to because we struggled some offensively,” said Propst. “I thought our quarterback played well for a while, then his foot was bothering him. That put more pressure on his arm, and his arm started bothering him a bit. Overall, I thought Steven (Krajewski) had a good tournament to start with.

“I like the way we played the whole thing without Cam Singletary and (Peterson). He would play around 10 plays a game because we didn’t want to stretch it.”

It was a groin injury that slowed Peterson. Propst said it turned out to be a worse situation than they first believed.

“We took him to the Andrews Institute while we were there,” he said. “We have some things to deal with him on that.

“Without him being full speed, for us to be in the quarterfinals was a successful tournament.”

For the second year in a row, Colquitt County was eliminated McGill-Toolen of Alabama. In the semifinals, McGill-Toolen lost to eventual champion Boiling Springs, S.C., which had the No. 25 seed. Hoover beat Thompson in the other semifinal, and No. 3 seeded Hoover fell to Boiling Springs 29-17.

“I think that’s the best we could have done,” said Propst about possibly getting to the semifinals. “We saw some improvement. I’m sort of glad 7-on-7 is over with so we can get back to real football. It was just something to do during the summer, and it’s competition.

“You get tired of practicing against yourself. It’s hard to come here and work all summer … every day in June, every day in July for the most part outside of the ‘dead week,’ and lift weights and run and practice against yourself. I think that’s why football numbers started to drop off. When 7-on-7 became popular, it gave kids a reason to come to workouts because there was immediate feedback. You didn’t have to wait until your first ball game in late August.”

With the arrival of a new 100-yard indoor practice facility on the Colquitt High campus, Propst said he is going to look at bringing 7-on-7 back to Moultrie.

“We’ll have the facility to have a great one here,” he said. “I don’t know if we’ll ever get to the level of what Hoover is because of the population, number of hotels and restaurants, the things they have there of a resource value. But I think we could have a qualifier for that, 16 or 24 teams and the winner earn an automatic berth to the nationals.”

In June, the Packers hosted a one-day OTA with Warner Robins, Jones County, Thomasville and Bainbridge. The OTA that begins tomorrow will run through Thursday with mostly 11-on-11 scrimmage situations. Because of the injury matters, Propst said he does not know how much Peterson or even Krajewski will participate.

“I’m not trying to win OTAs,” he said. “We’ve had more injuries this summer, lingering injuries from spring practice. I would never have thought we’d be as banged up at the end of summer as we are now.

“But the OTA to me is the best way to find out what your football team has. There’s some physicality to it, and you get to practice three days against somebody else. It’s basically team oriented stuff. There is some individual stuff, some 1-on-1. We’ll have a little bit of 7-on-7.”

With the injuries, it is a chance for younger Packers to get action in at least a scrimmage game situation and receive further evaluation of how they handle things. And to say there are young Packers in the program is not an exaggeration, for Propst has said the 2017 team will have the lowest number of seniors he can remember in 29 years as a head coach. 2017 will be his 10th at Colquitt County High.

“We’ve solidified some positions,” said Propst about answering those questions that cropped up after 2016 ended. “There are positions that will be solidified during camp. We will evaluate a lot during the OTA. When we get done Thursday afternoon, we’re done for the summer.

“Then it starts regular practice the following week. So we’ll make some definite decisions on who’s going to play what, who’s a starter, who’s a backup.”

Full pads practice begins Aug. 1, the Packers scrimmage Coffee High at home Aug. 10, and on Aug. 13 Propst said they will post the final depth chart.

“It’s an on-going battle in certain positions,” he said. “Linebackers, one of the defensive tackle spots. We have to get Kam Wood on the field. He’s showing his ability as a football player, and we can’t let him sit on the sideline. At the 7-on-7 he had a keen eye for the football.

“Offensively I think we found the five guys up front we want. Two spots are always up for debate. We’ll see in OTA how they perform and if there’s anybody on the football team who can beat them out. That goes for anybody’s position (except quarterback, where Propst said there is no real challenge for Krajewski’s job, and of course Peterson, whom Propst said has no match in terms of five-star talent).

“At the running back spot, (Ty) Leggett and (Daijun) Edwards are neck and neck. Who starts? I don’t think it matters. They are going to play an equal amount of time. Nigel Hillie has gotten back in the mold as a running back/nickel defensive back.

“To me, we have to have more kids ready to play this year than all the other ones put together. We do have a lot of players. We are a very young but talented football team. Experience does count for something, and we don’t have a lot of that. We’re going to have to gain some as we go.”

• Like 4

Glad to see Nigel back...if he's gonna give it 110%.  He can definitely help us.  All I ask from the August 10th scrimmage is....KEEP EVERYBODY HEALTHY !!!!!!

We need as many guys as we can muster this season.  In case you haven't heard it...or seen it...or dreamed it....

#Reclaim

Rufus>>

• Like 2

Need to get Steven's inflammation down in his ankle. Time and anti-inflammatory meds for that one.

JJ's is a little more complicated. Tough injury to get over without reaggravating so, idk how to get him over that without sitting and rehabbing for a little stretch.

...and yes, gotta work on keeping everyone else healthy on top of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

GPB Pre-season Top Ten 7A

Grayson

Roswell

Mill Creek

Lowndes

McEachern

Westlake

Colquitt

N. Cobb

Norcross

Brookwood

Does this look like the final for 2016?

Probably not.

Lime Sink will give a nod to Grayson, Lowndes, McEachern, Norcross....and maybe...just maybe....Colquitt and Brookwood at 2017 end.  Marietta will probably be a player.  But it's all speculation in July.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

GPB Pre-season Top Ten 7A

Grayson

Roswell

Mill Creek

Lowndes

McEachern

Westlake

Colquitt

N. Cobb

Norcross

Brookwood

Does this look like the final for 2016?

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Probably not.

Lime Sink will give a nod to Grayson, Lowndes, McEachern, Norcross....and maybe...just maybe....Colquitt and Brookwood at 2017 end.  Marietta will probably be a player.  But it's all speculation in July.

Rufus>>

2 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Interesting. 

In case you were wondering what Rush thinks about who should be pre-season #1-10

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/who-is-the-a-football-favorite/article_d920d87a-6c17-11e7-9a56-2759ac74c274.html

Who is the 2017 7A football favorite?

• By Matthew Brown

MOULTRIE – Who’s No. 1?

Right now, nobody. Looking at a list of GHSA Class 7A schools and their football records, everybody right now is the same: 0-0.

O.K., who’s going to be No. 1?

Well, polls will come out when they come out. Until then, anyone can always default to the defending champion, those who went far in the previous season’s playoffs or who always seems to be near the top year after year.

Those with more insight, like an active head coach, know how many starters a particular school returns. A high number means that team should be a serious contender. A low number means that club could struggle some with a lot of youth or simply usher in the next cast of super players that was waiting in the wings.

In 2016, Colquitt County High coach Rush Propst had a season as two-time defending state champions ahead of him, but also knew the roster was not retaining much from 2015’s or 2014’s title runs. He was able to look at the rest of the state in the new 7A classification, see what was building up where and make educated guesses as to where the power would lie. As was predicted, it came down to Grayson and Roswell.

At about the same time as last year, Propst is looking at the 2017 7A landscape and sees a toss-up. Perhaps one of the safer bets to reach the championship tilt in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium (as the 2017-18 GHSA by-laws says it will Dec. 8-9) is also the favorite to take Colquitt County’s own region, that is if it can defeat the Packers on Oct. 27 at Martin Stadium in Valdosta.

“I don’t see anybody,” said Propst when prodded again this week about a 7A favorite. This week, he’s getting a look during OTA in Moultrie at somebody he hears should be a competitive team, Collins Hill, which is in Region 6-7A with Mill Creek, North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge.

“Lowndes is to be reckoned with. I think this is Lowndes’ best team in several years. It’s hard to say they’re the favorite (in 1-7A). If they are not considered the favorite, they would be co-favorites with us. We’re not ready to relinquish that yet.”

With all the Packers went through in 2016, when it came down to deciding 1-7A on Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium, it was Colquitt County rising to the top in a thriller. This being the second year of a new reclassification cycle, Lowndes will host the Packers this season.

“All of that will be decided as the season goes on,” said Propst. “I do think (Lowndes) is very talented.

“I think there will be others who pop up. We’ll know more about Grayson as the year goes on. They play Hoover (Ala.) early who will give them a test at their place.”

Here’s a name to consider: Brookwood. Last year, the Packers beat the Broncos twice shaking off a history of no success against this program. This year, the Packers go to Snellville to face Brookwood on Sept. 15, but they got a look at the Broncos at the Corky Kell 7-on-7 in June.

“I thought Brookwood was more talented when I saw them at the Corky Kell,” said Propst. “They beat us, and I never thought that would happen. They were hot, and they played harder and better. Brookwood’s going to be better.

“I think it’s more wide open. I don’t think there is a Grayson or a Roswell like last year. Or McEachern or Mill Creek. Those four squads were far ahead of everybody last year that you played knowing the best you could be was fifth. This year, I think you can jumble it up. It could be one of eight, 10 teams or more that could emerge.”

The team that did the sneak-up last season was Westlake High out of Atlanta. Coming from Region 2-7A, it defeated Lowndes in the quarterfinals before being shut out by Roswell in the semifinals. Propst said this team should be even better with 17 talented starters back.

“It’s a good year to be a team that has a chance to get better as the year goes on,” said Propst. “If you play your best football from mid-October to the first week of December, that will be the team that wins it. There’s still a maturing process that our team and any team has to go through.

“I told our players the first six ball games we have are played for a reason. Last year I thought we had one of the top three or four or five toughest schedules in the nation. I think our schedule this year will be as tough.”

Not only does Colquitt County have the road game with Lowndes, but also an Oct. 13 road trip to Camden County in Region 1-7A. The only home game is Oct. 20 vs. Tift County, so this is the reverse of what the Packers enjoyed last season.

“Those first six ball games will tell the tale,” said Propst. Four of those six are at home, three of them being last year’s 6A finalists – Valdosta and Tucker – and the 7A runner-up, Roswell. “When we get into the playoffs, those five weeks are not going to be tougher. I add Lowndes as a sixth one, count that as a playoff game, hopefully it’s for the region championship. (The first six games) are sort of a prelude of what we’re going to have to do at the end of the season.”

And Propst said you can’t wait until the region schedule to start winning. The 2016 Packers started 0-4 but bucked that trend with three straight wins for momentum going into region play.

“If you go 0-6, what’s the mindset of your football team?” Propst would ask. “Not very good. The first six, seven for that matter, are important for the psyche of your football team. I think you have to have a winning record to be considered having a chance to be a state champion. 5-2, 6-1, 7-0, you have a legitimate chance. Anything less than that, you’re probably not in the hunt.”

With the new GHSA by-laws also comes the state playoff bracket. Colquitt’s region is paired with Region 2 in the first round and Regions 3 and 4 in the second. The potential matchup of region champions in the quarterfinals for Region 1 is Region 5, mainly comprised of Forsyth County.

Home teams for all playoff games in the quarters and semifinals between similar region seeds are now determined by a universal coin toss.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

In case you were wondering what Rush thinks about who should be pre-season #1-10

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/who-is-the-a-football-favorite/article_d920d87a-6c17-11e7-9a56-2759ac74c274.html

Who is the 2017 7A football favorite?

• By Matthew Brown

MOULTRIE – Who’s No. 1?

Right now, nobody. Looking at a list of GHSA Class 7A schools and their football records, everybody right now is the same: 0-0.

O.K., who’s going to be No. 1?

Well, polls will come out when they come out. Until then, anyone can always default to the defending champion, those who went far in the previous season’s playoffs or who always seems to be near the top year after year.

Those with more insight, like an active head coach, know how many starters a particular school returns. A high number means that team should be a serious contender. A low number means that club could struggle some with a lot of youth or simply usher in the next cast of super players that was waiting in the wings.

In 2016, Colquitt County High coach Rush Propst had a season as two-time defending state champions ahead of him, but also knew the roster was not retaining much from 2015’s or 2014’s title runs. He was able to look at the rest of the state in the new 7A classification, see what was building up where and make educated guesses as to where the power would lie. As was predicted, it came down to Grayson and Roswell.

At about the same time as last year, Propst is looking at the 2017 7A landscape and sees a toss-up. Perhaps one of the safer bets to reach the championship tilt in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium (as the 2017-18 GHSA by-laws says it will Dec. 8-9) is also the favorite to take Colquitt County’s own region, that is if it can defeat the Packers on Oct. 27 at Martin Stadium in Valdosta.

“I don’t see anybody,” said Propst when prodded again this week about a 7A favorite. This week, he’s getting a look during OTA in Moultrie at somebody he hears should be a competitive team, Collins Hill, which is in Region 6-7A with Mill Creek, North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge.

“Lowndes is to be reckoned with. I think this is Lowndes’ best team in several years. It’s hard to say they’re the favorite (in 1-7A). If they are not considered the favorite, they would be co-favorites with us. We’re not ready to relinquish that yet.”

With all the Packers went through in 2016, when it came down to deciding 1-7A on Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium, it was Colquitt County rising to the top in a thriller. This being the second year of a new reclassification cycle, Lowndes will host the Packers this season.

“All of that will be decided as the season goes on,” said Propst. “I do think (Lowndes) is very talented.

“I think there will be others who pop up. We’ll know more about Grayson as the year goes on. They play Hoover (Ala.) early who will give them a test at their place.”

Here’s a name to consider: Brookwood. Last year, the Packers beat the Broncos twice shaking off a history of no success against this program. This year, the Packers go to Snellville to face Brookwood on Sept. 15, but they got a look at the Broncos at the Corky Kell 7-on-7 in June.

“I thought Brookwood was more talented when I saw them at the Corky Kell,” said Propst. “They beat us, and I never thought that would happen. They were hot, and they played harder and better. Brookwood’s going to be better.

“I think it’s more wide open. I don’t think there is a Grayson or a Roswell like last year. Or McEachern or Mill Creek. Those four squads were far ahead of everybody last year that you played knowing the best you could be was fifth. This year, I think you can jumble it up. It could be one of eight, 10 teams or more that could emerge.”

The team that did the sneak-up last season was Westlake High out of Atlanta. Coming from Region 2-7A, it defeated Lowndes in the quarterfinals before being shut out by Roswell in the semifinals. Propst said this team should be even better with 17 talented starters back.

“It’s a good year to be a team that has a chance to get better as the year goes on,” said Propst. “If you play your best football from mid-October to the first week of December, that will be the team that wins it. There’s still a maturing process that our team and any team has to go through.

“I told our players the first six ball games we have are played for a reason. Last year I thought we had one of the top three or four or five toughest schedules in the nation. I think our schedule this year will be as tough.”

Not only does Colquitt County have the road game with Lowndes, but also an Oct. 13 road trip to Camden County in Region 1-7A. The only home game is Oct. 20 vs. Tift County, so this is the reverse of what the Packers enjoyed last season.

“Those first six ball games will tell the tale,” said Propst. Four of those six are at home, three of them being last year’s 6A finalists – Valdosta and Tucker – and the 7A runner-up, Roswell. “When we get into the playoffs, those five weeks are not going to be tougher. I add Lowndes as a sixth one, count that as a playoff game, hopefully it’s for the region championship. (The first six games) are sort of a prelude of what we’re going to have to do at the end of the season.”

And Propst said you can’t wait until the region schedule to start winning. The 2016 Packers started 0-4 but bucked that trend with three straight wins for momentum going into region play.

“If you go 0-6, what’s the mindset of your football team?” Propst would ask. “Not very good. The first six, seven for that matter, are important for the psyche of your football team. I think you have to have a winning record to be considered having a chance to be a state champion. 5-2, 6-1, 7-0, you have a legitimate chance. Anything less than that, you’re probably not in the hunt.”

With the new GHSA by-laws also comes the state playoff bracket. Colquitt’s region is paired with Region 2 in the first round and Regions 3 and 4 in the second. The potential matchup of region champions in the quarterfinals for Region 1 is Region 5, mainly comprised of Forsyth County.

Home teams for all playoff games in the quarters and semifinals between similar region seeds are now determined by a universal coin toss.

Interesting read

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Interesting read

Rush is generally a straight shooter on this type of stuff, even if he does embellish a bit on strength of schedule as it pertains to national perspective. I don't disagree with him that we have some pretty tough teams on our schedule, but they are mostly in-state and tough sells for a national view point. 

It certainly will come down to Colquitt and Lowndes in region 1 7A this season again. And Rush seems to think that there's a good deal of parity statewide this season, maybe more like the 2014 season than 15 or 16 was where there was a pretty clear favorite or group of favorites. 

He was right about those 4 just being better than everyone... and not really being that type of team this year... atleast that we know of yet.

Everybody outside of GA thinks Grayson is a Top 10-12 National team... but that class of talent they lost was insane. Sure they still have a lot of talent but its mostly underclassman talent... inexperienced. And they have a new unproven HC.

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

He was right about those 4 just being better than everyone... and not really being that type of team this year... atleast that we know of yet.

Everybody outside of GA thinks Grayson is a Top 10-12 National team... but that class of talent they lost was insane. Sure they still have a lot of talent but its mostly underclassman talent... inexperienced. And they have a new unproven HC.

LOL 

grayson is fucking loaded 

So Rush thinks he has a pretty good team.

Lowndes is to be reckoned with. I think this is Lowndes’ best team in several years. It’s hard to say they’re the favorite (in 1-7A). If they are not considered the favorite, they would be co-favorites with us. We’re not ready to relinquish that yet.”

no more sandbagging GA.

5 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

LOL 

Sure... they are no doubt , and I said as much.  Its just less experienced talent than last season. Dont get me wrong quite a few of the guys this year have some experience, but last year they had a lot of Senior stars... not as many this year. Think about who they lost... (plus Im really worried about their Head Coach, hes so inexperienced himself as a lead man)

4* QB Chase Brice - last year was his 3rd or 4th year starting at QB for Grayson

4* S DeAngelo Gibbs - started for years at Peachtree Ridge before Grayson

4* ATH/RB/CB Jamyest Williams - had pretty much started on both sides of the ball since he was a sophomore and played a good bit as a freshman... at Archer the years before Grayson... 

4* ILB Breon Dixon - a highly experienced Senior from Peachtree Ridge... he will be missed... did not play vs IMG and I think he wouldve helped a lot vs that QB draw play they were running every down

4* OT Tony Gray - started for a few years at Central Gwinnett before Grayson

3* RB Kurt Taylor - started at Newton a few years before Grayson

3* OT Jalen Jackson - a starter for Grayson for a couple years

3* DT Ellison Hubbard - another senior that started for Grayson for a while

3* C Will Taylor - was Chase Brices C for years

3* CB Demetrius Murray - came from South Gwinnett his SO year I think.. still another experience Senior

3* DE Aaron Brawley - played for Grayson his whole career

Guys like WR Elijah Shah, WR Evan Sturgil, LB Mike Greenway, LB Ismail Abdul, Jake Killian who played everywhere on D... even played on the DL at 200lbs... TE Elijah Barnes... etc..

They just lost a lot of experienced guys... and most of their talent is juniors... while yeah, a few are seniors.... I guess what worries me the most is inexperience and their new inexperienced HC

4 hours ago, Ararar said:

So Rush thinks he has a pretty good team.

Lowndes is to be reckoned with. I think this is Lowndes’ best team in several years. It’s hard to say they’re the favorite (in 1-7A). If they are not considered the favorite, they would be co-favorites with us. We’re not ready to relinquish that yet.”

no more sandbagging GA.

Rush is saying co-favorites in his Region ... Region 1-7A... not co-favorites for a 7A State title... his Region has 4 teams in it, Camden Co., Tift Co., Lowndes, and Colquitt

But sure just read that however you want.

8 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Sure... they are no doubt , and I said as much.  Its just less experienced talent than last season. Dont get me wrong quite a few of the guys this year have some experience, but last year they had a lot of Senior stars... not as many this year. Think about who they lost... (plus Im really worried about their Head Coach, hes so inexperienced himself as a lead man)

4* QB Chase Brice - last year was his 3rd or 4th year starting at QB for Grayson

4* S DeAngelo Gibbs - started for years at Peachtree Ridge before Grayson

4* ATH/RB/CB Jamyest Williams - had pretty much started on both sides of the ball since he was a sophomore and played a good bit as a freshman... at Archer the years before Grayson... 

4* ILB Breon Dixon - a highly experienced Senior from Peachtree Ridge... he will be missed... did not play vs IMG and I think he wouldve helped a lot vs that QB draw play they were running every down

4* OT Tony Gray - started for a few years at Central Gwinnett before Grayson

3* RB Kurt Taylor - started at Newton a few years before Grayson

3* OT Jalen Jackson - a starter for Grayson for a couple years

3* DT Ellison Hubbard - another senior that started for Grayson for a while

3* C Will Taylor - was Chase Brices C for years

3* CB Demetrius Murray - came from South Gwinnett his SO year I think.. still another experience Senior

3* DE Aaron Brawley - played for Grayson his whole career

Guys like WR Elijah Shah, WR Evan Sturgil, LB Mike Greenway, LB Ismail Abdul, Jake Killian who played everywhere on D... even played on the DL at 200lbs... TE Elijah Barnes... etc..

They just lost a lot of experienced guys... and most of their talent is juniors... while yeah, a few are seniors.... I guess what worries me the most is inexperience and their new inexperienced HC

FYI, Will Taylor got moved to guard before the IMG game and there was a new center.  I think that contributed some to the turnovers on the snap.  Chase and Will had been playing together for years and knew what to expect from each other.  Putting a new to Chase center into the mix was asking for problems in the beginning and they showed.  They got their act together pretty quickly but those first two games were a hot mess with so many players at new positions.

I say again that just because you didn't start the first offensive or defensive down did not mean you weren't getting playing time.  The depth on that team was amazing and we were substituting 4,5,6,7 players most every play depending on what play the coaches were calling and what package they wanted in the game.  It reminded me a lot of the pros so many players were going in and out.  The non-starters mostly got a lot of significant playing time and not just during fourth quarter blowouts.

Just now, Fred said:

FYI, Will Taylor got moved to guard before the IMG game and there was a new center.  I think that contributed some to the turnovers on the snap.  Chase and Will had been playing together for years and knew what to expect from each other.  Putting a new to Chase center into the mix was asking for problems in the beginning and they showed.  They got their act together pretty quickly but those first two games were a hot mess with so many players at new positions.

I say again that just because you didn't start the first offensive or defensive down did not mean you weren't getting playing time.  The depth on that team was amazing and we were substituting 4,5,6,7 players most every play depending on what play the coaches were calling and what package they wanted in the game.  It reminded me a lot of the pros so many players were going in and out.  The non-starters mostly got a lot of significant playing time and not just during fourth quarter blowouts.

I actually didnt know that about Will Taylor, it makes a lot of sense though. When Grayson was driving down to the IMG 30ish and it was 4th and 2... that snap over the QBs head absolutely KILLED Grayson. I was wondering why Will would do that...  Who was actually at Center?

Truly too bad Hoover wasnt the 1st OOS game last year and IMG in late October. 

25 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Rush is saying co-favorites in his Region ... Region 1-7A... not co-favorites for a 7A State title... his Region has 4 teams in it, Camden Co., Tift Co., Lowndes, and Colquitt

But sure just read that however you want.

Yeah I can read.My statement still holds true,Rush thinks he has a pretty good team so enough with the sandbagging 

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I actually didnt know that about Will Taylor, it makes a lot of sense though. When Grayson was driving down to the IMG 30ish and it was 4th and 2... that snap over the QBs head absolutely KILLED Grayson. I was wondering why Will would do that...  Who was actually at Center?

Truly too bad Hoover wasnt the 1st OOS game last year and IMG in late October. 

I don't remember his name.  I'm awful with names.  I'm friends with the Taylors (ok, more like strong acquaintance than deep friend) so I noticed when Will got moved.

Yea, while I realize that IMG would be different later in the season as well I really think we came together after those first two games.  I believe it would have been a much different game had we had the time to work on those chemistry and fine tuning kind of things.  Oh well, speculation on what might have been doesn't change anything.

7 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

7 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

LOL 

I think you can read into what he said however you want. We know that Grayson is loaded, so, considering that last year, Rush was poor mouthing and trying to knock down expectations coming into the year... This year he's more or less proclaiming that Colquitt  and Lowndes could be one of 6 or 8 teams along with Grayson that will challenge for a state title this season. I'd say that he thinks Colquitt is just as talented, albeit admittedly young. 

Everyone saw the separation in the state's best teams over the last two seasons, and hell, I myself argued with DJ about parity in 2014, which was deemed to be a weakness for the state's rankings that season, even though the top teams were pretty talented. 

The feelings among many are much higher this season than last as for challenging for a title again this year. We got over our down year, and are back on the upswing. After this year, the next couple of years for Colquitt should be pretty strong. Maybe to the point where we can claim that separation again that we saw in 2015 depending on qb development. 

#RECLAIM 

:D

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Yeah I can read.My statement still holds true,Rush thinks he has a pretty good team so enough with the sandbagging 

I will not speak for Rush.....wait a sec...who am I kidding?  Of course, I'll speak for Rush.  We have a better than average team this year.  We should win our Homecoming game and maybe a couple or so Region games.  The rest of the non-Region games will be a toss up.  Maybe we win 2 or 3 of those.

But the true path to enlightenment?

How many will we win in the playoffs?

#reclaim

Rufus>>

• Like 1

Since this has kind of become the impromptu Moultrie Distuber link thread, and pretty sure we have a Collins Hill guy among us at times...

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/collins-hill-coach-speaks-as-moultrie-football-ota-winds-down/article_4e2c1d78-6da8-11e7-a27d-e366e65b6014.html

Collins Hill coach speaks as Moultrie football OTA winds down

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
  • 1 hr ago
  •  
  •  

OTA hosted by Colquitt County High
Matthew Brown

MOULTRIE – It’s South Georgia in late July, and those visiting from the metro Atlanta area love it.

Colquitt County High football hosted three other high school teams the past three days for organized team activity (OTA) practice, and it was either quite warm on the heat index scale or darkening skies with developing thunderstorms. That’s the way it is during the summertime, which is also the time when these football players are at the tail end of summer workouts and on the eve of official practices.

While Packers would be used to these conditions, maybe people from Atlanta or above would have a hard time adjusting to the humidity. Gainesville High, under long-time head coach Bruce Miller, was back after attending last season to get a feel for what South Georgia football is all about.

Lenny Gregory was also in Moultrie in 2016, but as an assistant for Centennial High. After last season, he became the head football coach at Collins Hill High. He put Colquitt County High down in his preseason plans for the Eagles, which is having to prepare for Region 6-7A battles with Mill Creek, Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett.

“This is my third year coming down,” Gregory said while players were on a watermelon break Thursday. “What (Rush) Propst does down here at this camp is incredibly productive for us. I was at Centennial the last two years, and I felt this camp was one of the keys to our success. To come down here and really learn situations.

“The coaches here are all professional. We’re not trying to compete per se. We realize this is early and that the kids are learning. It’s a great chance for us to get out of North Georgia, get in a different environment and for our team to bond. This is our team camp.”

Basically, there are less distractions in Moultrie. Collins Hill is nestled in Suwanee. Gregory saw this as a chance to focus on football. Also, there’s a bit of a motivation factor in what they saw on the field.

“I told our kids there’s four teams, and what’s different about us at Collins Hill from the other three is we’re the only one without a state championship,” said Gregory, who coached Arizona Cardinals lineman Robert Nkemdiche while at Grayson. “We’re blessed to be here. That’s what I want my team to be around. We have a lot to accomplish to get to where they are.

“Colquitt County has set the bar for high school football Georgia … high school football in the country. Coach Propst changed football in Georgia.”

And it was Propst earlier proclaiming that the Eagles might be a group to look out for come playoff time.

“I think we have talent,” said Gregory. “I was defensive coordinator at Grayson for seven years. Being in Gwinnett County, I think the athletes and level of football is pretty good. I think we’re going to be very competitive.

“That’s a really tough region (6-7A). In my opinion, it’s the toughest 7A region in that there’s five really good football teams and only four get to go. I’m not saying they’re the best five teams (in Georgia), but it might be the toughest to get in.”