SOC could bring 5AD2 title back to Dallas today

Horsefly

4 minutes ago, Champa said:

I remember watching a La Vega team put that crap Liberty Hill likes to run in its place a few years ago. Was for a state title, I believe.

If SOC has similar speed and athleticism on defense, hopefully they can do the same.

But LH is a scrappy bunch.  Jumped up to 5A and been pretty dominate. Was a 4A power.  That offense is crazy.  SOC got some dudes though

Coach Samples and his Protege could make history today.  They are linked. A lot of South Dallas history on display.

Samples is a legend in North Texas high school football, especially South Dallas where he has coached for more than 25 years at Lincoln, Skyline and now Duncanville.

He's coached in state championships. He's come up one play short of a state title. And the Panthers coach has produced dozens, if not hundreds, of Division I college players over the last three decades.

He's also produced one heckuva head coach.

Jason Todd is the head football coach at South Oak Cliff. He took the job the same year Samples took the lead role at Duncanville.

"He's like a father figure to me," Todd said. "His family is like my family."

Samples has been a coach, mentor and friend of Todd since the mid-1990's.

Todd played for Samples at Lincoln and later joined his coaching staff there after college.

When Samples left Lincoln for Skyline, Todd went with and stayed on as an assistant coach.

In 2015, Todd got his first shot as a head coach with South Oak Cliff -- the same high school Samples graduated from nearly 50 years ago.

"We're family," Todd reiterated. "My grand-daddy was actually one of his principals growing up, so we're connected very deeply."

The Samples-Todd connection runs deep. The families are friendly. Todd often chats with Samples' children, including Reginald's son Ra'Shaad, who is now the assistant coach and running backs coach at TCU. 

• Like 3