Evangel Christian (LA) vs. Allen (TX)

PrepGridiron

ECA vs. Allen  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Will this be a repeat of last year's game?

• Yes, Allen wins big.
    • Yes, but Allen wins close
    • No, ECA leaves with a victory

In a rematch of last year's 45-10 Allen victory, Evangel returns to Allen to exact some revenge. Coming of a solid defensive performance in a 14-6 win over East St. Louis (IL), Evangel looks to slow down an offense that put up 38 points on them last year. Allen, on the other hand, looks to build on 23-8 victory over a good Cedar Hill squad. Will Allen be able to force 5 turnovers again? Will Evangel's highly touted DT play? Should be an interesting game of top teams from their respective states. 

6 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

5 TOs last year usually contributes to that kind of a lopsided victory. I think these teams are closer than the score last year. 

Allen is a 4 TD favorite over everyone on their schedule. Probably 3 or 4 rounds of the playoffs too.

If the 4* DT for Evangel is 100% the Eagles might keep it respectable. Evangel's offense is still a work in progress with the rookie QB.

Playing in Allen's huge stadium in front of 22,000 Allen fans is not a game many are signing up for.....Evangel will have done it twice.

nolebull813, is just an idiot, but we all know that already.

I'll take a stab.

Allen 27 Evangel 6

• Like 1

Will be heading over to the Stadium for this one around 6pm.  I too think this will be a closer game. Allen has a new QB,  but they still have a stud running back and their Defense is big and physical as well.  Last year ECA opened against Allen while the Tx Eagles already had beaten Hoover, now they both have a game under their belts and usually week 2 is a big improvement over week 1.  That being said I don't try to predict any scores.  I would assume ECA would have to be vastly improved over last year and Allen would have to be drastically down.  Allen wears out 6A teams with depth they constantly rotate defense players like every 2 plays on the line.  That Secondary is very good.  ECA has a history of taking on anyone anywhere, gotta admire that.  The Allen paper surely Homer's have Allen by 35.  I don't agree with that at all.  Looking forward to a physical game in one of the best Stadiums to watch HS Football.  And my La. Redskin will be right beside me.  xD 

From the Allen American Newspaper:

ALLEN.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I can't predict a score, but I think it will be a lot closer than last year.  I expect this one to not be decided until well in the 2d half.

I agree: ECA went to Illinois and beat a talented ESL team who's coach said that was the best HS defense he has ever seen.  I can't wait to see that ECA DL vs. Allen's OL.   I have only seen 2 teams this year Allen and Cedar Hill and I am telling you in the 2nd half Cedar Hill held them pretty well on Defense and this is suppose to be a much better D.  Interesting.  Allen is the top of the TX Food Chain along with Katy, Desoto etc.  This should be physical.  Where are you going to watch tonight sir.

Just now, DevilDog said:

I agree: ECA went Illinois and beat a talent ESL team who's coach said that was the best HS defense he has ever seen.  I can't wait to see that ECA DL vs. Allen's OL.   I have only seen 2 teams this year Allen and Cedar Hill and I am telling you in the 2nd half Cedar Hill held them pretty well on Defense and this is suppose to be a much better D.  Interesting.  Allen is the top of the Food Chain along with Katy, Desoto etc.  This should be physical.  Where are you going to watch tonight sir.

I'll be at home, won't be able to make a game until maybe next week.  Please send updates.  Tell the misses hello...

When the 2017 high school football season kicks off in a matter of weeks, Evangel won’t exactly be looking in a mirror with the school’s second game of the season when the defending LHSAA Division I state champions meet mighty Allen (Texas), the largest high school in that state. 

Evangel will meet the powerhouse, which rolled the Eagles 45-10 last season, with a coaching staff of seven, including just two full-time paid coaches. That was good enough to win the school’s 14th state title last season and it may be good enough to allow the school with around 350 high school students to repeat as champs. 

“It’s about quality, not quantity,” Evangel principal Bud Dean said succinctly.

Allen has more than 6,300 students compared to about 6,000 less high school students at Evangel. The Texas Eagles have three freshmen teams, two JVs and a varsity squad coached by a total staff of 24. There are almost 500 football players in the program playing in a $60 million stadium that seats 18,000, including an 800-member band.

Talk about inequality.

“But you are talking about a private school versus the largest public school in Texas,” Allen coach Terry Gambill told The Times. “Evangel is a very good football team. The game last year was a lot closer than the score indicated.”

Allen, Texas, coach Terry Gambill

Allen, Texas, coach Terry Gambill (Photo: Contributed photo)

Evangel coach Byron Dawson seemed undeterred with having a small staff while playing at the highest level in the LHSAA. 

“We have seven guys coaching freshmen through varsity, so our staff is a very small, but that’s by design,” Dawson said. “We like it that way. We are system-based and our guys do a great job of teaching our system.”

The Eagles will bank on a talented 2017 defense, which includes at least five members with high Division I offers, to help them overcome the lack of numbers on the coaching staff against a powerhouse schedule. 

“We were a little thin this spring, but we’ll get more guys in,” Dawson said. “And iron sharpens iron.”

Just walked into Allen Athletic center and the Athletic director was there asked me what I need. I said I need 2 buy 2 tickets sir.  He handed me 2 reserve tickets at no charge.  If you been to this Stadium you don't get these tickets.  The whoie home side is blue and reserved.  Awesome guy and great people here.  Just met a couple outside from Connecticut looking at the stadium.  They were like unbelievable.   

20170908_134705.jpg

45 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

If Allen was in NJ everyone would know who the studs are for Allen and what they eat for breakfast, and what color underwear they sport.. xD

There would also be 30 Allen threads a week. 

BUT, Allen is NOT in NJ.

I think most that follow recruiting know what sort of talent they have.

I still think ECA does much better this go around.

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I still think ECA does much better this go around.

They can't possibly do much worse, well I guess they could. They could have 6 or 7 turnovers tonight.

I don't believe Allen has ever lost a game at that mammoth stadium.

Either way.....that's a tough venue for any team in the nation to war.

Picture Rome, GA in that stadium.