Calpreps Colquitt 31 Brookwood 28

HooverOutlaw

36 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

You mean to tell me SJB can go to STA but cant go to Cen10 outside of the playoffs? 

MV can go to Hawaii but cant play Cen10 or RC outside the playoffs... 

Good question.  I can only speak for Cen10 who has scheduled MD OLU, Chandler, IMG, BG, Liberty NV, Salt Lake East, Serra, LBP OOL recently. 

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

I’ve seen that same statement numerous times, all from states that have 32team brackets.  32 teams is too many.  It would be interesting to see the following.

1. Historical breakdown of what percentage of teams ranked 17-32 actually make it past the second round.

2. Breakdown of number of games missed by players due to injury by week in playoffs.  

I’m pretty sure if GHSA commissioned such a study, the results would indicate the “warm up” week is un-necessary from a competition perspective.  

Except that Marietta wouldn't have made the playoffs! And they were beaten 51-41 by North Gwinnett, in the THIRD round! And half of Colquitt's playoff wins, have come as a third seed!

57 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Not trying to put words in Hornet's mouth but I think what he said was OLU had no league wins.  2010 Colquitt won 2 of their 4 region games.  I'm assuming league equals region but could be wrong.

OLU plays in a six league team called the Trinity League comprised of nothing but private schools.  If you disbursed each of those teams into surrounding leagues, they would each independently win any league except the league that Centennial plays in depending on which team you put in that league.

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I like the 32 team playoff. Under your setup, Colquitt would not have made the playoffs in 2010 or 2017. In 2010 they made it to the state championship as a 4 seed and they will play in the semis this year as a 3 seed.

In other words, your plan sucks! 😀

Who knows how many playoff wins the Packers would have had! Were there more than ONE region playoff team in the playoffs, back in the day! On a half dozen occasions, the Packers were the second best team in the STATE, but missed the playoffs!

2 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

Who knows how many playoff wins the Packers would have had! Were there more than ONE region playoff team in the playoffs, back in the day! On a half dozen occasions, the Packers were the second best team in the STATE, but missed the playoffs!

Well in that case unless you had a way to pick the best teams, regardless of regions, then good teams could get left out.   We can’t have regions.  All the best teams are within a 50 mile radius.  Sure we could make a 32 team bracket but why?  As it is currently, half the teams have no chance in hell.  17-32 would be a waste of time.

7 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I like the 32 team playoff. Under your setup, Colquitt would not have made the playoffs in 2010 or 2017. In 2010 they made it to the state championship as a 4 seed and they will play in the semis this year as a 3 seed.

In other words, your plan sucks! 😀

You're lucky I don't  draw any water in Thomaston, or ya'll would seldom  see a 4 loss team in the playoffs in any classification. Make the regular season mean something. TCC back in 94' won state with a 5-5 regular season. I still don't believe they should have been in the playoffs. Too many mulligans, then rematches vs banged up teams who beat you earlier. Why? Play-in games involving 1-9 vs 2-8 teams that cost more to put on tha generate in ticket sales? Still have to staff the stadium per insurance regulations. Maybe if we went back to playing a 13 game season  attendence would increase, and I believe we would see better quality play across the state. Want to roam the Dome? Get better. Some fine 7-3 and 8-2 teams, capable of getting hot and winning it all will be pumping up basketballs. But what was the point of the regular season? They had their chance. Playoffs are a winners club. Or used to be. Should be in my opinion.

6 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

In all serious, a 16 game playoff would be fine, but they would have to eliminate each region having automatic births to the playoffs or it really does nothing more than punish the deeper regions. Colquitt is a 3 seed, but still probably a top 5-10 team in the state and most definitely in 7A alone. Colquitt would be sitting at home while Pebblebrook still made the dance.

However, I prefer the GHSA give each region two automatic seeds and select the other 16 teams regardless of class, using a points system. I want to see Buford, Rome, Cartersville, Tucker, ELCA, Warner Robins, Benedictine, etc. play the big boys for a true STATE Championship, not a classification state championship. The bush leagues could then reseed and  play 5 or 6 more championship games under the current playoff format. 

Any city school system program wanting to play post season should automatically be booted into 6A or 7A, depending on population density.Dublin can't be Buford, but Thomasville could be better.Thomasville could technically recruit Greater Tallahassee if the bug were to bite.  Same with privates who accept athletic transfers or offer financial aid to athletes. Although I was happy with 4 classes, which would have made it easy to distribute the handfull of city system schools and private schools evenly in the 2 upper classes.. 

5 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

And Thomasville, up through the late 70's had a greater claim to 2nd best than Moultrie. They beat you more often than not. The series wasn't close in 1980. Thomasville was up by about 15 games.They  had more success against Valdosta. Historically, the talent genepool is far deeper in Thomas County than Colquitt. You should really be thankful for TCC. Roll them into one school, swap coaches, and in 2 years it'll be pig on the grill.

2 hours ago, JCGIII said:

You're lucky I don't  draw any water in Thomaston, or ya'll would seldom  see a 4 loss team in the playoffs in any classification. Make the regular season mean something. TCC back in 94' won state with a 5-5 regular season. I still don't believe they should have been in the playoffs. Too many mulligans, then rematches vs banged up teams who beat you earlier. Why? Play-in games involving 1-9 vs 2-8 teams that cost more to put on tha generate in ticket sales? Still have to staff the stadium per insurance regulations. Maybe if we went back to playing a 13 game season  attendence would increase, and I believe we would see better quality play across the state. Want to roam the Dome? Get better. Some fine 7-3 and 8-2 teams, capable of getting hot and winning it all will be pumping up basketballs. But what was the point of the regular season? They had their chance. Playoffs are a winners club. Or used to be. Should be in my opinion.

You still need to reward teams that are playing tough schedules as well though. I think the league play records is the only way to do that. Otherwise, teams that line up to play virtual weaklings to go 10 and 0 would increase and we wouldn't have the best teams in the playoffs at all. 

1 hour ago, JCGIII said:

And Thomasville, up through the late 70's had a greater claim to 2nd best than Moultrie. They beat you more often than not. The series wasn't close in 1980. Thomasville was up by about 15 games.They  had more success against Valdosta. Historically, the talent genepool is far deeper in Thomas County than Colquitt. You should really be thankful for TCC. Roll them into one school, swap coaches, and in 2 years it'll be pig on the grill.

I think that having two schools in Thomasville certainly affects them negatively. Neither school is large, so it cause them to both play in the smaller classifications. Combining the two would be a smart move imo, in more ways than just sports, but, idc what they do down there really. They could for sure rise up and compete with us if they did this though, and they probably could do it with the coach they have now in Grage. 

They just lost to Heard county in the quarters because the mistake bug bit. Thomasville was probably the better team but shot themselves in the foot too many times Friday night. It's good to see them doing well again actually, and really good to see Coach Grage making waves. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You still need to reward teams that are playing tough schedules as well though. I think the league play records is the only way to do that. Otherwise, teams that line up to play virtual weaklings to go 10 and 0 would increase and we wouldn't have the best teams in the playoffs at all. 

Not if they lose 4 or 5. I wouldn't anyway. The argument of making more money has been bebunked. No attandence to speak of at many of these games, which still have to be staffed according to  size of venue, by law and insurance requirements. Agree though, some fine teams will sit out the playoffs. 

Plus, it really stinks to lose a player against a lousy team you're going to kill, but a kid you mill need the following week.

Edited by JCGIII
Add on.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think that having two schools in Thomasville certainly affects them negatively. Neither school is large, so it cause them to both play in the smaller classifications. Combining the two would be a smart move imo, in more ways than just sports, but, idc what they do down there really. They could for sure rise up and compete with us if they did this though, and they probably could do it with the coach they have now in Grage. 

They just lost to Heard county in the quarters because the mistake bug bit. Thomasville was probably the better team but shot themselves in the foot too many times Friday night. It's good to see them doing well again actually, and really good to see Coach Grage making waves. 

He has a lot of tools at his disposal. With TCC in flux, now is the time for them to start combing the middle schools, and rec leagues county wide. Getting guys interested in playing for them early. And they have the $$'s to cast a net well past the county line.

• Like 1

Just now, JCGIII said:

He has a lot of tools at his disposal. With TCC in flux, now is the time for them to start combing the middle schools, and rec leagues county wide. Getting guys interested in playing for them early. And they have the $$'s to cast a net well past the county line.

I'm not on the "ins" down there, but they appear to be investing in their facilities for sure. New turf on their historic field and more. They already had started pulling away players from TCC which probably helped contribute to their coach walking the plank this season. 

I think they are appearing to do the right things to do what you suggest they could/should do to rise in prominence again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Thats why OLU got in the D1 CA playoffs.... 

Rewarded for getting blown out 5 weeks straight.  

They also again. Rose through the national rankings... 

They went 5-5 0-5 in league play....

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not on the "ins" down there, but they appear to be investing in their facilities for sure. New turf on their historic field and more. They already had started pulling away players from TCC which probably helped contribute to their coach walking the plank this season. 

I think they are appearing to do the right things to do what you suggest they could/should do to rise in prominence again.

They know what it's like. Success I mean. Between them and TCC, I see more elite players than most anywhere near their size. Not affixed to a major metropolitan area anyway. 4th best all time Georgia program. They won or tied the first 12 games with Colquitt. Dogs still up by 4. After going 20-20-2 vs Moultrie.

http://ghsfha.org/w/Special:SchoolHome?view=seasons&season=2017&school=Thomasville

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You really see the TCC effect starting in 1992. Since then TCC has won 17 of 25. Along with 5 state titles in AAA, a runner up, 2 semifinal exits and a couple of quarter final exits. 5 additional NFL players, and a Heisman winner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

You really see the TCC effect starting in 1992. Since then TCC has won 17 of 25. Along with 5 state titles in AAA, a runner up, 2 semifinal exits and a couple of quarter final exits. 5 additional NFL players, and a Heisman winner.

There have been times when both schools fielded pretty good teams, but, yes, through the past two decades, it's mainly been one or the other. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There have been times when both schools fielded pretty good teams, but, yes, through the past two decades, it's mainly been one or the other. 

If a group of carpetbaggers stroll into Moultrie, settle in, and push for an additional high school. Heat the tar, I'll bring the feathers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCGIII said:

Plus, it really stinks to lose a player against a lousy team you're going to kill, but a kid you mill need the following week.

That happens in the regular season as well.  We lost our number 1 running back on the first series of downs against Shiloh.  No one touched him, he just twisted his knee wrong and his ACL was history.  Region game so we have to play them but Shiloh has about as much chance of beating us as I do winning a 100 yard race against an Olympic class runner.  If we hadn't lost him I think there is a good chance we are still playing instead of watching from the stands.  Instead we roll into Archer without our #1 and #2 running backs and our season changed.  It happens.

29 minutes ago, Fred said:

That happens in the regular season as well.  We lost our number 1 running back on the first series of downs against Shiloh.  No one touched him, he just twisted his knee wrong and his ACL was history.  Region game so we have to play them but Shiloh has about as much chance of beating us as I do winning a 100 yard race against an Olympic class runner.  If we hadn't lost him I think there is a good chance we are still playing instead of watching from the stands.  Instead we roll into Archer without our #1 and #2 running backs and our season changed.  It happens.

Another reason why teams shouldn't have to cover the same type of lousy real estate in the  postseason.