Ohio Playoffs Week 5 / Finals

Coletrain06

5 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Pick C is weak at LB and CB. Colerain and Mentor both took advantage of this. Difference is Mentor's offense is based on the QB dropping back.....PC realized just bring the house everytime......Colerain's triple option requires lateral discipline to defend, and PC was lost on how to defend it.

Not lost completely, just strip the ball. Watch the hands play. It was effective 

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

Calpreps had 6 in the 25 this week and no PC. :ph34r:.  Coletrain, “other” takes state :).  

Calpreps is goofy, and the order is probably not right, but their overall ranking of Ohio is something I've been saying all season. It's a unique year in Ohio, in that so many teams are very good. A bunch of teams in the 15-40 range is how is how I see Ohio this year.

4 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Calpreps is goofy, and the order is probably not right, but their overall ranking of Ohio is something I've been saying all season. It's a unique year in Ohio, in that so many teams are very good. A bunch of teams in the 15-40 range is how is how I see Ohio this year.

Solid state, solid football.  Strong depth.  2 at max belong next week.  4 need to adios.   

19 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Solid state, solid football.  Strong depth.  2 at max belong next week.  4 need to adios.   

Maybe. I'm at a bar drinking  right now, so my thought's may be different in the morning, but I'm pretty clear ...........Cen10 doesn't belong in the top 25. Watched then 4 or 5 times this year and without McKee they're not top 25, not even close.....PC is #1 in OH, Colerain or Hoban or Trotwood-Madison #2. After that, there's like 10 teams that could be interchangeable as the # 3 or #15 team. 

48 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I think you just see that at CalPreps and want to agree with that bc it looks good.

Its not reality.  And wont be at that place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

I think you just see that at CalPreps and want to agree with that bc it looks good.

Its not reality.  And wont be at that place.

No, don't really even look at calpreps rankings that much. 

My opinions and thoughts are made independently.

Most of this comes from trying to formulate rankings each week.....comparing state to state. Watching teams and studying. I really struggle with teams like South Pointe, Union,  Cen10, and St. Louis being top 25. My top 25-35 would probably be mostly Ohio and Georgia.

I just got done watching the game as I was out last night with some friends.  Both of the quarterback in this game were as good as you'll see in Ohio. Mentor's qb is the best in Ohio.  He is a big time qb and where ever he lands, I'll be keeping up with him.  

Mentor mistake was not running it on the 4th and inches.  Had to run it there with the backs or the qb.  They didn't have any negative rushing plays in the entire game.  That was the play that took the air out of Mentor and put Pickerington Central in beast mode.  

Pickerington Central was up to the task all the way around.  Had the one blown coverage on the touchdown pass but other than that made Mentor earn all of their scores.  Offense was a machine.  Game ball has to go to the offensive line and Ellison at TE for opening up those running lanes.  Very good game by two very good teams.  

I like both of the D1 finalist a little bit more than Hoban.  Hoban could beat both but I just like these two teams more.  Just my opinion.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2017 at 10:16 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Trotwood is a very good team, but they're very lucky they got Pick central in week 3.

Agreed. The state championship game is the first full game I've seen of Trotwood this year other than some highlights from their game against a mediocre Wayne team which they won 14-7. No way I see Pick Central losing to them now. I think Hoban and a handful of other D1's would beat them as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Agreed. The state championship game is the first full game I've seen of Trotwood this year other than some highlights from their game against a mediocre Wayne team which they won 14-7. No way I see Pick Central losing to them now. I think Hoban and a handful of other D1's would beat them as well. 

I agree.....I'm working on a post season rankings, and it's really hard this year. Obviously Pick Central is my #1, but after that it could be interchangeable.....

36 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I agree.....I'm working on a post season rankings, and it's really hard this year. Obviously Pick Central is my #1, but after that it could be interchangeable.....

Ohio is always tough to rank. I'm torn every year with that state. At season's end I have:

1. Pick Central

2. Colerain

3. St. X

4. Hoban

5. Mentor

Side note: I will probably change that order 5 times before I decide on a final ranking, lol. 

19 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Ohio is always tough to rank. I'm torn every year with that state. At season's end I have:

1. Pick Central

2. Colerain

3. St. X

4. Hoban

5. Mentor

Side note: I will probably change that order 5 times before I decide on a final ranking, lol. 

My top 2 are the same.

Not sure I'd have X over Mentor, Iggy, or Hoban. 

My top 10 teams on how they finished the season:

1. Pick Central 

2. Hoban

3. Colerain

4. Mentor

5. Trotwood-Madison

6. St. Ignatius

7. St. Xavier 

8. St. Edward

9. Winton Woods

10. Pick North  

Hoban has a very strong claim for number one as well given their talent level and dominating playoff run in a very good D2 this year, but Pick Central was equally as impressive and D1 gets the nod. I think these ten teams could all beat each other on any given day.  If I had to rank these teams based upon who I would take if they were playing at their absolute best with a completely healthy roster, I'd still have these same ten teams but the rankings would be different. At their best, I think St. Edward and Colerain are tops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

LOL @ all the GA and AL guys losing their shit about playing in the snow. xD

I can still remember that great 2010 D1 state championship where Ed’s and a Braxton Miller-led Wayne team squared off in snow storm that erupted in the second half. Elements are part of the game. 

38 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

I can still remember that great 2010 D1 state championship where Ed’s and a Braxton Miller-led Wayne team squared off in snow storm that erupted in the second half. Elements are part of the game. 

I was there

you had to stand since the seats had 2 "'of ice on them

guess I was only thinking about the tailgate/beer and not prepared for where my ass was going to sit 😩

Great game regardless of who you had 

• Like 2

It's always amusing to me when OOS people mock our Power run offenses/defenses here in Ohio......when that title game rolls around and it's freezing and snowing, the power teams have a significant advantage

The 2013 Regional final game between Colerain and Moeller is still hands down the coldest game I've ever been to. It was 9° with wind chill, and started snowing early in the 2nd qtr. It was painful cold.......I remember standing near coaches on the sideline yelling at the players "you HAVE to get over the cold!"

This year was one of the few championships in recent memory without snow or freezing rain

• Like 1