(Ken) Massey final ratings aka USA Today computer

golfaddict1

1 hour ago, whiteshoes said:

I'm speechless.   What is San Diego University HS?    Camas 17th, Cartersville 21, Rancho Cucamonga 19th, if I would put that kind of stuff out you folks would have banned me from this site!!

This is absolutely the worst computer poll. 

Which makes me question how useful all of the algorithm rankings are. 

34 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

This is absolutely the worst computer poll. 

Which makes me question how useful all of the algorithm rankings are. 

None of them are worth a thing.

Theres nothing to connect all these states. Theres no way, numerically, to tell how to equate  say New Hampshire to Washington, or Delaware to Nevada, or Georgia to Hawaii, or Alabama to North Dakota, or California to Mississippi... you cannot equate these things. All these polls rely on data, and there isnt enough data connecting states... theres an OOS game here and there... but a state being connected to another state by way of ONE team playing ONE other team means nothing... it scales nothing.  

Thats why the teams in singular states rank so well against each other, they actually play... these state ranks look decent because states are essentially a big web of connectivity. Follow enough instate teams and you can eventually get to where most teams in a singular state are connected in more ways than one. But thats where it stops.

The guys that make these can GUESS, and input data to try to level the playing field for all states.. but its not possible to get it just right. There will ALWAYS be anomalies. Its just not a good way to make a NATIONAL ranking. Its a great idea for class rankings, to use for maybe Playoff seeding and what not... but going any further than that is stupid and inaccurate.