Jeff Fisher: Proprietary Algorithm Final Top 25

TheRealCAJ

Proprietary Algorithm = I don't know how I came up with this, but need to label it something.

Final Top 25

Anyways, his Top 50 doesn't include DLS or St Mary's who are currently #24 and #25 at calpreps.

All proprietary algorithms are not created equal, I guess.

Fisher, actually has Edna Karr (NOLA) #24. Think I like his algorithm better. xD

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Proprietary Algorithm = I don't know how I came up with this, but need to label it something.

Final Top 25

Anyways, his Top 50 doesn't include DLS or St Mary's who are currently #24 and #25 at calpreps.

Fisher, actually has Edna Karr (NOLA) #24. Think I like his algorithm better. xD

No all algorithms are not the same. They all rely on human input... and the humans can decide which GROUPINGS of teams have the advantage.

CalPreps obviously gives California a huge advantave.

• Like 1

Jeff Fishers HSFBA poll is actually really good.

If St. Marys is in your Top 25 theres something wrong with your poll. If they arent in your Top 25, youve done well. 

People only like CalPreps because it ranks EVERY team, they dont care how off it is. Which is why Ned did it in the 1st place.. without caring it isnt meant to be used that way, although it CAN be.. it doesnt mean it should be.

The High School Football America Algorithm is the better computer based poll for national rankings. No doubt about it.

Cal Preps contains more information that is easier referenced than anything else out there, so for that type use, it is the better computer. 

If CP would adopt HSFBA-A as their national ranking service, we might be getting pretty close to having a really nice system. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The High School Football America Algorithm is the better computer based poll for national rankings. No doubt about it.

Cal Preps contains more information that is easier referenced than anything else out there, so for that type use, it is the better computer. 

If CP would adopt HSFBA-A as their national ranking service, we might be getting pretty close to having a really nice system. 

Absolutely... expand HSFBA to include all teams and show the scores and schedules.... it becomes the ONLY computer poll needed.

• Like 2

I do notice a head scratcher or two as I go through the entire top 50 as provided by the HSFBA poll. The same is true with every single poll out there though.

Without knowing precisely what criteria is used to obtain these rankings, it's pretty difficult to argue how certain teams found their way in over others. One is left to assume true strength of schedule and margin of victory has a lot of weight. We also know that Jeff Fisher relied largely on human input in the beginning and has slowly weened the algorithm off of "human tinkering" and has now mostly set the algorithm free to run on it's own, using only preseason inputs. (this latter may explain the lack of common sense factor that Caj mentions in this thread) I think I'd personally prefer some common sense tinkering when there are anomalies arising in the algorithm, although that opens the door for people to attack the ranking. (most likely the primary attacks would come from people whose team was anomalous in the ranking) 

One would also think that this algorithm has leveled off the strange balloon rankings of particular regions across the country that are created by strong teams that have strong schedules, pulling their regional counterparts up and along with them, which is an obvious and glaring problem with the CalPreps algorithm. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Final Top 25

I LUUUUUV Jeff for throwing Colquitt a bone LAST season BUT!!! HOW does he quantify having five loss St. X in the top 100, when Colquitt AIN'T? SURELY, they didn't play a more difficult schedule than Colquitt did!

Many years ago I remember taking a course in college which defined and discussed "epistemology."  Today, this seems to be called "proprietary algorithm."

In truth I have been epistemologically correct for most of my life.  My wife merely suggests-in different words-that my proprietary algorithmic values serve my own needs...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Jeff Fishers HSFBA poll is actually really good.

You're just saying that because it's not CalPreps and because it's a newer one and because no one even knows the silly ways the teams may be ranked!

He has Chandler 29, Valdosta 30 and no Bingham in the top 50! It has MD at 14, Hoover at 18 and Cocoa at 26. Enough said!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Connman said:

You're just saying that because it's not CalPreps and because it's a newer one and because no one even knows the silly ways the teams may be ranked!

He has Chandler 29, Valdosta 30 and no Bingham in the top 50! It has MD at 14, Hoover at 18 and Cocoa at 26. Enough said!

And when people point out the silly as shit rankings they see at CalPreps? Cathedral Catholic 15? St Marys 25? DLS like 23? 

Ca teams. At a site named CaliforniaPreps. Its too cliche.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

And when people point out the silly as shit rankings they see at CalPreps? Cathedral Catholic 15? St Marys 25? DLS like 23? 

Ca teams. At a site named CaliforniaPreps. Its too cliche.

As silly as you and I think those rankings are there can be someone who doesn't because we can't be 100% certain because Cathedral Catholic is undefeated.

We can be 100% certain that Jeff Fisher having Valdosta 1 spot behind Chandler is not right, since they were soundly beaten by them and lost to another lower ranked team.

21 minutes ago, Connman said:

As silly as you and I think those rankings are there can be someone who doesn't because we can't be 100% certain because Cathedral Catholic is undefeated.

We can be 100% certain that Jeff Fisher having Valdosta 1 spot behind Chandler is not right, since they were soundly beaten by them and lost to another lower ranked team.

So we can rank undefeated teams as high as we want because they are undefeated and it cant be disproven? CC & SM were neck and neck.. they went to OT. We know those 2 are close.

What happens if Valdosta doesnt give up 21 points in Turnovers? If instead of muffing a punt when they were up 9-8 in the 2nd quarter, they keep that punt and begin a drive with good field position. Does their momentum carry them into the End Zone? Who really knows, the game was decided by literally 4-5 plays. 3 of them turnovers, 1 of those 3 being the KO after halftime. And a 4th play being the long TD run... as Chandler didnt do a ton outside of a few big plays. The game wasnt as lopsided as one might perceive except on the scoreboard... which was 20 points. 

The Woodlands lost to Lake Travis by 28 but most people still have The Woodlands Top 30-35. LT is a 8-10 team. Valdosta lost to Chandler by only 20, but Valdosta couldnt be ranked at 30 where JF has them? Chandler is a 10-12 team maybe better with the way theyve been playing.

You like to ask "What if' and why... always, always questioning me with obscure points. Let me ask you, do you know the Main one?

18 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

So we can rank undefeated teams as high as we want because they are undefeated and it cant be disproven? CC & SM were neck and neck.. they went to OT. We know those 2 are close.

What happens if Valdosta doesnt give up 21 points in Turnovers? If instead of muffing a punt when they were up 9-8 in the 2nd quarter, they keep that punt and begin a drive with good field position. Does their momentum carry them into the End Zone? Who really knows, the game was decided by literally 4-5 plays. 3 of them turnovers, 1 of those 3 being the KO after halftime. And a 4th play being the long TD run... as Chandler didnt do a ton outside of a few big plays. The game wasnt as lopsided as one might perceive except on the scoreboard... which was 20 points. 

The Woodlands lost to Lake Travis by 28 but most people still have The Woodlands Top 30-35. LT is a 8-10 team. Valdosta lost to Chandler by only 20, but Valdosta couldnt be ranked at 30 where JF has them? Chandler is a 10-12 team maybe better with the way theyve been playing.

You like to ask "What if' and why... always, always questioning me with obscure points. Let me ask you, do you know the Main one?

This isn't about Valdosta specifically, I was just using them as an example to point out some major questions about Jeff Fishers algorithm which seems to be you (and others) flavor of the month!

I'm just trying to point out some strange things in it. Look at all the examples of teams losing to the team directly ahead of them. 16 Woodlands beat 17 Allen beat 18 Hoover. 19 SJR beat 20 PC. 29 Chandler beat 30 Valdosta.37 Carmel beat 38 Center Grove beat 39 Warren Central. Seems like too many coincidences without questioning his algorithm!