Visited the zoo this week...

ChimpGrip

And found out I am able to contact the gorilla keeper to possibly test their strength, conduct my research, and either prove me right or wrong. 

The keeper at the exhibit agreed with my theory that there are quite a few exaggerations and no legitimate tests exist. And that they are strong in their own way as amateur strongman are in their way. Only anecdote from over the years from people’s zoo visits. That has led to grossly exaggerated and false claims. People suck at critical thinking. 

Not the most interesting subject, but I figured I’d share it. This is my favorite board now anyway.

Below is a picture I took from my zoo trip.

CF6C0AB5-8DF0-4E2D-B912-A8B9332A8BB7.jpeg

28 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

And found out I am able to contact the gorilla keeper to possibly test their strength, conduct my research, and either prove me right or wrong. 

The keeper at the exhibit agreed with my theory that there are quite a few exaggerations and no legitimate tests exist. And that they are strong in their own way as amateur strongman are in their way. Only anecdote from over the years from people’s zoo visits. That has led to grossly exaggerated and false claims. People suck at critical thinking. 

Not the most interesting subject, but I figured I’d share it. This is my favorite board now anyway.

Below is a picture I took from my zoo trip.

CF6C0AB5-8DF0-4E2D-B912-A8B9332A8BB7.jpeg

Gorillas don't use their strength as humans do.  But, it can be assessed by their activity in meeting their basic needs, such as breaking thick bamboo and tree branches effortlessly to eat, or their ability to hang in a tree by one arm, for long periods supporting their massive weight.

you are trying to compare humans, who are motivated by proving their strength, by lifting, etc.  the gorilla, or any other animal, is not motivated by sport competition.

even if they were trained to lift as humans do, they lack the balance to lift heavy weights a strong their body structure is different from ours.

simply meeting a physiological need, watch how easily it shreds this banana tree.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Gorillas don't use their strength as humans do.  But, it can be assessed by their activity in meeting their basic needs, such as breaking thick bamboo and tree branches effortlessly to eat, or their ability to hang in a tree by one arm, for long periods supporting their massive weight.

you are trying to compare humans, who are motivated by proving their strength, by lifting, etc.  the gorilla, or any other animal, is not motivated by sport competition.

even if they were trained to lift as humans do, they lack the balance to lift heavy weights a strong their body structure is different from ours.

simply meeting a physiological need, watch how easily it shreds this banana tree.

Ha. Let me see a human do that.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

I’m trying to compare the different types of strengths. They are strong in their own ways (grip and pulling, as demonstrated in the video). And that humans are stronger pressers and have potential for more powerful lower bodies. I want to see the gorilla try the numerous level of hand grippers too.

1 minute ago, ChimpGrip said:

I’ve seen a man turn an 18 inch forged steel crescent into an “S” shape. I would say that is far more difficult, for a human or gorilla, than breaking a banana tree. 

No it's not.  The man is motivated by proving a point.... his strength.  The gorilla is simply eating and doing it effortlessly.

12 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I’m trying to compare the different types of strengths. They are strong in their own ways (grip and pulling, as demonstrated in the video). And that humans are stronger pressers and have potential for more powerful lower bodies. I want to see the gorilla try the numerous level of hand grippers too.

You are comparing it to humans that are specifically training those muscles (weight lifters)the gorilla knows nothing of training nor is motivated by competition to fairly compare strength.

34 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No it's not.  The man is motivated by proving a point.... his strength.  The gorilla is simply eating and doing it effortlessly.

If the gorilla is motivated during the testing he will exert more effort and we will get a measure. Maybe that’s still not clear but that’s where it’s going. The human with training and motivated versus a gorilla who will be somehow motivated. That has been part of the plan all along. 

With or without motivation, it takes more to bend that wrench than it does that tree. 

I am not worried about training for the gorilla at this point, only where it’s at now and what it does motivated, and once more, the motivational aspect will take some thinking on how that will be done. 

40 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The gorilla didn’t effortlessly bend a wrench. The tree bending is one example where he does not use much effort. That does not mean all his actions are done that easily.

17 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

The gorilla didn’t effortlessly bend a wrench. The tree bending is one example where he does not use much effort. That does not mean all his actions are done that easily.

That's the whole point, it has no reason to bend a wrench, just like "pressing" weight is not a needed muscle movement in its environment. 

Let any man sit down like it did in the video and with one hand shred the tree.  I don't think it can be done.  The gorilla does that every day as a normal part of its routine. 

7 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That's the whole point, it has no reason to bend a wrench, just like "pressing" weight is not a needed muscle movement in its environment. 

Let any man sit down like it did in the video and with one hand shred the tree.  I don't think it can be done.  The gorilla does that every day as a normal part of its routine. 

If a man is capable of loading a 600 pound stone, it certainly is possible.  I say that because if the body can handle that, it can most certainly become capable of bending a tree like that. Maybe it would take training. Maybe not. But still doable. Could any untrained human ever do it? It’s possible, even without a weight lifting background

I bet Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson could do it as he is now. 

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

If a man is capable of loading a 600 pound stone, it certainly is possible.  I say that because if the body can handle that, it can most certainly become capable of bending a tree like that. Maybe it would take training. Maybe not. But still doable. Could any untrained human ever do it? It’s possible, even without a weight lifting background

I bet Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson could do it as he is now. 

Again, my point is the gorilla is able to bend the tree naturally, minimal effort.  It's not doing it as a fete of strength.  It would be like you opening a bag of chips and us marveling at your dexterity.

of course a super strong man focused on training and trying to prove a point will make gains, but at the end of the day we are only mimicking what is natural and routine to the gorilla. 

Im out on this, I hope you complete your study and are able to see just how strong these animals really are. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Im out on this, I hope you complete your study and are able to see just how strong these animals really are. 

I recalling reading about the relative strengths of animals. Something about the density in their muscular systems. 

A little Monkey is silly strong. 

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

You cannot, it did it with one hand, it will also do that throughout the day.  The other thing that makes a gorilla much stronger is it's hormone profile.  It has the same effect as if a human was on steroids.  

And what are you going to do if I do it? Disappear from this thread?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Again, my point is the gorilla is able to bend the tree naturally, minimal effort.  It's not doing it as a fete of strength.  It would be like you opening a bag of chips and us marveling at your dexterity.

of course a super strong man focused on training and trying to prove a point will make gains, but at the end of the day we are only mimicking what is natural and routine to the gorilla. 

I noted the strong or untrained man might or might not be able to do it. No one ever tries this. And yes I realize it’s daily routine for the gorilla. This is about overall strength measures in all ranges of motion, not one. I am out to see what they can do in their current state. Once that is accomplished, if ever, then training comes into play. That will of course be hard to implement but that’s for another day. Routine or not, pulling the tree down is one type of motion. They could come with ease to them, but it’s possible (in theory) that even with training they could not come close to the lower body power of some humans. 

The fact that humans can have training and gorillas don’t is one of my moving targets for the thesis of my research on this.

I think it is very apropos That a handle name ChimpGrip is doing a thesis on a Big Simian :D.  I do know this no matter how many squats, Deadlifts are Bench Presses a man does nor however big his muscles get from that training.  If you throw him in a room with that big Grey Backed Simian I know who will walk out when you open the door. 

Simian over Homo Sapiens with strength.  Hell even a Chimp no pun intended is stronger than Man.

Chimps are far stronger than we are. Slate writes: A chimpanzee had, pound for pound, as much as twice the strength of a human when it came to pulling weights. The apes beat us in leg strength, too, despite our reliance on our legs for locomotion.Jan 14, 2013 

28 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I think it is very apropos That a handle name ChimpGrip is doing a thesis on a Big Simian :D.  I do know this no matter how many squats, Deadlifts are Bench Presses a man does nor however big his muscles get from that training.  If you throw him in a room with that big Grey Backed Simian I know who will walk out when you open the door. 

Simian over Homo Sapiens with strength.  Hell even a Chimp no pun intended is stronger than Man.

Chimps are far stronger than we are. Slate writes: A chimpanzee had, pound for pound, as much as twice the strength of a human when it came to pulling weights. The apes beat us in leg strength, too, despite our reliance on our legs for locomotion.Jan 14, 2013 

Exactly, if you want to motivate the gorilla, threaten it in its environment and make it mad and go toe to toe with it.  It will toss a strongman around like a rag doll

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

This is what is frustrating. This isn’t about fighting. Purely strength. And that last paragraph is not completely true. There is a difference between pound for pound strength and absolute strength. That’s a nice copy and paste though. 

One of the goals of the research is to try to end the mindless and baseless statements like that. 

12 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Exactly, if you want to motivate the gorilla, threaten it in its environment and make it mad and go toe to toe with it.  It will toss a strongman around like a rag doll

This is not about fighting. Good lord figure that out already. Is strength brought up when previewing MMA fights? Sure, but it’s one factor. One of the least considered aspects, probably. In a strongman competition, on the other hand, obviously strength will be one of the deciding factors.

8 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

This is what is frustrating. This isn’t about fighting. Purely strength. And that last paragraph is not completely true. There is a difference between pound for pound strength and absolute strength. That’s a nice copy and paste though. 

I am interested in what you come up with.  But it has been put to the test and the Gorilla is much stronger than a human based of off Muscle composition.  So is a Grizzly Bear.  You can't grow new muscle you can only make the existing Muscle bigger.  They in comparison start out that way.   Pure strength the Simian is much stronger.  But it is your thesis not mines.  Correct I copied it from a study (1) to show it wasn't me making this up.  And strength is often brought up in MMA fights for sure.  I watch a lot of it.   It shouldn't be frustrating you are out researching this.  

3 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

This is not about fighting. Good lord figure that out already. Is strength brought up when previewing MMA fights? Sure, but it’s one factor. One of the least considered aspects, probably. In a strongman competition, on the other hand, obviously strength will be brought up. 

Stop trying to equate an animals physiology to man's!   It's motivated by a few things, food and survival and competition will be created from those needs.  If you threaten anyone of those needs, then you can get a true gauge of its strength.  It doesn't give a damn about lifting weights or bodybuilding.  

We've offered an alternative without folks losing their lives.  Get a three inch piece of bamboo and break it into smaller pieces.  A gorilla does this with minimal effort as it eats the meat of the bamboo.  That's the challenge to you.