GA football schedules for upcoming season

golfaddict1

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Bartram will probably be second best in 7a region 1 this year if that helps

You forgot to add this smiley :ph34r:

Because that's the one that shows you are ninja trolling. xD

Bartram may be better than Camden. After that, I wouldn't bet my hard earned dollars on them in any games in region 1AAAAAAA. 

If i had to take a stab at it i would rank 7a region 1 like this

1 Columbia

2 Bartram Trail 

3 Fleming Island 

4 Lincoln/Lee

5 Edgewater/Buchholz

But its early and a lot can change but in my quick glance over the rosters Columbia brings back the most of any team in the region

Both qbs return 

Deep at running back 

Almost entire reciever core returns 

3 of 5 OL starters return

Most of the defense front 7 returns

Secondary was young and only had 1 senior last year plus i heard we getting a player from Winter Park transferring back after leaving to go there last year 

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You forgot to add this smiley :ph34r:

Because that's the one that shows you are ninja trolling. xD

Bartram may be better than Camden. After that, I wouldn't bet my hard earned dollars on them in any games in region 1AAAAAAA. 

He wasnt talking about Georgia s 7A R1 ... Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ECHS05 said:
10 hours ago, DB4 said:

Tucker's got a monster start to the season.

They do... And they lost a lot of talent from last season too.

It hurts me to see Tucker playing at Avondale Stadium like it is their home.  Who knows, maybe it is now.  RIP Blue Devils.  :(

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

Are you sure you have that right? 

That (A) is for Adams. 

Adams is their home.

Avondale is still in use though. 

Lovejoy plays Stephenson there this year.

I hate Dekalb for football stadiums. 

My little sister goes there and I asked her if she thought they could make a stadium work in the back of the school where the practice field is at (just logistically, not talking money). She said that the neighborhood behind the school, may not want it, an issue I hadn't thought of. But yeah the way Dekalb has their stadiums isn't my favorite. Not as bad as somewhere like Miami or Chicago but still not ideal.

2 hours ago, Fred said:

It hurts me to see Tucker playing at Avondale Stadium like it is their home.  Who knows, maybe it is now.  RIP Blue Devils.  :(

Sad story.

http://www.scoreatl.com/stories/avondale-alumni-help-put-football-program-back-on-right-track/

Colquitt County/Moultrie : The Apcolypse

Mighty Avondale Unloads on Stunned Moultrie, 40-0
Imps Win the Crown in Corker
The Atlanta Constitution, December 7, 1963, by Charlie Roberts-- Avondale rolled out the red carpet for the Moultrie High School Packers then jerked it out from under them before 12,000 gleeful spectators Friday night. Hospitality ended at 8 o’clock in Death Valley as Calvin Ramsey’s Blue Devils murdered their guests, 40-0, and ran away with the 1963 State Class AAA crown. Winning for the 42nd time in 43 games at six-year old Avondale Stadium, Avondale exploded Knuck McCrary’s Packers and the myth of Region 1-AAA invincibility that had persisted for five straight years in these Georgia playoffs. Avondale, 113-27-6, under Ramsey for 13 years and Class AA State co-championships with Thomasville in 1958 slashed Moultrie’s first region-title team to ribbons from whistle-to-whistle.

The Imps, striking by land with Steve Mills, David Cooper and Lanny Asamoto and by air with Ray Myers-to-Andy Odom and Steve Allen, possessed the ball five times in the first half, scored four touchdowns and owned a 27-0 bulge by intermission. When it was over, Avondale had rollicked for 379 yards and a defensive vise applied by George Veal, Frank Owens, Wade Wilkes and Stanley Anderson had limited the Packers to 140 useless yards. Tackles Ed Spencer and David Bentley, guard Bill Johnson and center Bruce Mather were key blockers in the offensive scythe that leveled the Packers and lifted Region 4-AAA to a state title for the first time since 1955.
Avondale (40)                                   Moultrie (0)
14                           First Downs        5
249                       Yards Rushing     64
130                        Yards Passing    76
12-8                          Passes            14-6
65                         Yards Penalized   41
4-32.7                         Punts             5-32.1
Avondale was enroute to its 12th victory in 13 games this season after smashing 55 yards on eight plays after first taking possession of the football. Mills gutted the Moultrie tackles for 44 yards on five bullish bursts and lashed across from 15 yards away. Glenn Johnson, who finished the season with 45 extra-point kicks in 49 boots, kicked the first of four for the night to make it 7-0. (NOTE: Since such a great action photo in the article captures Steve’s TD, the text is given here: “Steve Mills scatters Moultrie tacklers on a 15-yard scoring trip as George Veal watches him score. Joe Linder, Jay Cranford, Buddy Taylor, Eugene Robenstein, Tom Sumner give chase on Avondale’s first touchdown.” The photo shows two Packers on the ground and four more pursuing at a distance). Four plays later, the Devils took over on a punt and on the third skirmish Odom found a wide gap at tackle and fled 42 yards into the end zone. Johnson kicked it to 14-0 with 1:36 left in the first quarter. Ramsey’s legions switched to airlanes midway in the second quarter after fleet Steve Allen intercepted a Moultrie lateral after a pass completion. Only five plays were required to move the ball 68 yards. Only two plays were pertinent, a 23-yard Myers-to-Asamoto connection and a 34-yard collaboration featuring Myers and Allen. Johnson’s boot went wide and it was 20-0. Avondale took over again with 1:25 remaining in the first half and only needed 1:17 to move the necessary 45 yards. Myers ran for 25 yards to offset a 15-yard penalty, ran Cooper for seven, hit Allen for another seven and Odom for receptions of 6, 11 and 4 yards. Odom snared the four-yard scoring strike and Johnson’s toe made it 27-0.

It was back to the ground route in the opening stages of the third quarter. Mills, Cooper and Odom thrashed 64 yards on 12 capers and it was 34-0 after Johnson’s kick. Cooper scored the TD from a yard out. The longest run of the drive was a 16-yarder by Odom. Allen set up his own second touchdown by intercepting a Doug Hall pass early in the fourth quarter. One play later, Myers fired to Allen, who ran the last 20 yards of a 45-yard scoring play. That made it 40-0 and that’s how it ended. Downcast McCrary made a pertinent comment after the game: “Now I know 13 is my unlucky number. This is my 13th game in my 13th season of coaching.” He could not have been more right. Moultrie had few heroes this night. Joe Linder ran better than any other Packer, but he too was almost completely shackled by the gang-tackling of Avondale’s defense. At one stage Hall began to click with his passes. He hit Bob Montgomery for 12 yards, Dickie Traylor for 37 and Lester Passmore for eight to put the ball four-yards out from the goal early in the second quarter. But Avondale called a halt at the three and never again did Moultrie threaten.
Score by Quarters:
Avondale              14 13 7 6 -- 40
Moultrie                   0  0 0 0 -- 0
Avondale Scoring: TDs-- Steve Mills, 15-yard run; Andy Odom, 42-yard run; Steve Allen, 34-yard pass from Ray Myers; Andy Odom, 4-yard pass from Ray Myers; David Cooper, 1-yard run; Steve Allen, 45-yard pass from Ray Myers; PATs—Glenn Johnson, 4 kicks

ALL’S QUIET IN THE SOUTH AS AAA CROWN TAKEN
Avondale Downs Moultrie, 40-0, to Win Title
The Atlanta Journal, December 7, 1963, by Tom McCollister—Those joyous cries of AAA superiority from south Georgia, heard by its northern neighbors for those five past years, have now been hushed—quieted in resounding fashion by Avondale’s completely convincing 40-0 victory over Moultrie. Knuck McCrary, who brought his Packers up north to win only saw his team outclassed in every respect. It was Andy Odom who supplied much of the flames that engulfed Moultrie’s title dreams. The game was expected to be closer, especially when it was learned that quarterback Mike Colvard would not play due to a sprained ankle. Ray Myers stepped in to show that he could get the job done. He completely baffled Moultrie with his passing and faking. Eight of 12 passes reached their mark for 130 yards and three touchdowns and he ran forward three time for 28 yards. Mills, almost alone, got the first one for Avondale. On a 52-yard march in the first quarter, he gained 45 of them and the six-pointer. Odom got the next on a beautiful fake by Myers, going 42-yards off tackle. Then Myers pitched and Allen caught it for 34 yards and another six-pointer. Odom scored again with only ten seconds left in the half, catching a four-yard pass from Myers. In came Cooper in the third period to add more glitter to Avondale’s star. A 64-yard march was capped by his one-yard plunge. His 34 yards on carries ate up most of the real estate. Allen scored the last touchdown, hauling in a 45-yarder from Myers. Avondale scored six of the ten times it held the ball. Moultrie only came close once. George Veal, Odom, Cooper, Allen, Ricky Black, Stanley Anderson, et al, played defense the way Ramsey likes—hardnosed. They gave up only 64 ground yards and 77 by air, leaving the Packers a disheartened band.

Avondale’s Road to Recognition and Redemption
Early in the 1963 season, sportswriters and coaches had understandable reservations about the prospects of the Blue Devils due to the depletion of talent by graduation that left only one of 11 starters and the loss 16 of their 17 top performers. When Avondale blitzed Brown, 35-6, in the opener that got some attention, but a slim 13-6 victory over Gordon caused some to wonder if Gordon was that good or was Avondale just average. Avondale stood its ground against Westminster, but lost 7-0 on a questionable kickoff return for the game’s only score. The next battle with formidable R. E. Lee proved the Blue Devil’s mettle by defeating them 7-3. As the Decatur game neared, the Gordon coach whose team had played both Avondale and Decatur leaned toward a physically impressive and star-laden Bulldog team, nut Avondale rolled to a 21-6 victory. After winning eight of nine regular season games by increasingly dominating performances, there were still skeptics when the playoffs began. Charlie Roberts’ column thought Avondale was worthy, but hedged his bets by repeating rumors that “Decatur fans could smell an upset”. Wrong again, as the Blue Devil’s buried Decatur 42-14. Picking No. 1-ranked Westminster over Avondale in the 3-AAA and 4-AAA playoff game was somewhat understandable, the Blue Devils had the skeptics puzzled over the 28-0 shellacking of the Wildcats and proving that Avondale’s “Death Valley” was no myth. At last, the playoff with North Fulton was easy because the City teams were weaker than the suburban teams, so a 34-0 win for the north Georgia AAA title was not a surprise. Then here comes Moultrie to play Avondale, as south Georgia champions representing a Region 1-AAA that had won five straight state crowns. Highly respected Coach Oliver Hunnicutt leaned toward the Moultrie but conceded that it was a toss-up. Of course he was only off by 40 points, as the Blue Devils swept over the Packers 40-0. After bigger and bigger margins of victory as Avondale finished the regular season and by dominating four playoff opponents, 144-14, the Blue Devils finally secured the respect of Jesse Outlar and Charlie Roberts that they had won on the grid iron. Outlar wrote, “This writer has never seen a better high school team than Avondale was last Friday night.” Roberts ranked, “ Calvin Ramsey as one of Georgia’s Greatest coaches through the years, and the Blue Devils as one of the really great all-time elevens.” It took a while, but Avondale finally was given due recognition after the amazing development of players and world-class coaching led an inexperienced team to the pinnacle of success—the Georgia State AAA Football Championship.
Gerry Lingle—AHS 1960

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

You think the offense is ready? 

They have had a couple years now and they should be better at it. 

No I think the defense is ready, this is year 2 the offense will be improved but not quite there yet. Last season was supposed to be one of Tift's best and we gave them all they could handle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

Are you sure you have that right? 

That (A) is for Adams. 

Adams is their home.

Avondale is still in use though. 

Lovejoy plays Stephenson there this year.

I hate Dekalb for football stadiums. 

You are probably right.  I forgot about Adams.  For some reason, we rarely played there. The sentiment is the same though.  Hate to see Avondale gone.