OT: Offseason heavy metal/hard rock ETC. thread

golfaddict1

15 hours ago, noonereal said:

To start a thread like this you likely listen to more music than most.  I don't know about that but I'll answer...  I am curious as to you listing You Tube videos, is this how you consume most your music? I listen to Pandora often (free site with some commercials) but I also use youtube for the full album options when I'm in the mood or just feeling a certain song and it's just a few clicks away.   I also use mp3 converters and listen via a small mp3 player often.      

If so, what do you use to watch/listen to them?  Usually via a laptop and a little Creative 2.1 speaker system with a tiny sub :) .   Not high fidelity but beats the laptop's speaker.    I also listen/watch pandora and youtube via my TV sometimes.  

others too, how do you enjoy your music????

Streaming MP3's principally through a phone?  No

In a home theater setting? Yea I have a HT receiver,  2 bookshelf fronts,  a center and 2 rears (no sub) for TV/Movies mainly but I'm sure we've listened to music using all speakers.    

Old fashion stereo setup?   

Just plug into a PC and listen? 

Blu-Ray, DVDA, SACD, Redbook, HD or MP3 downloads? Strictly stream services. Anyone use HD streaming if so?   Turntable, 8 track, cassette? :)  

On 1/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, noonereal said:

I have long used a signature in my many music and audio boards that is a self quote. 

Here is is:

"There is good music and there is great music, there is no bad music." 

So, thanks for the thread! 

Love the Quote........I went to school for Audio/Video Production, and on the very first day of audio classes, my instructor told us that we wouldn't be able to continue in this field if we held any style of music higher than another style..... and he gave us my favorite quote: "There is beauty in all music." I took it to heart and it's the reason why my musical tastes are so wildly spread across the entire spectrum of audible sound.

6 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Love the Quote........I went to school for Audio/Video Production, and on the very first day of audio classes, my instructor told us that we wouldn't be able to continue in this field if we held any style of music higher than another style..... and he gave us my favorite quote: "There is beauty in all music." I took it to heart and it's the reason why my musical tastes are so wildly spread across the entire spectrum of audible sound.

Tell me more, what is your primary genre? What are you discovering of late? (genre's styles)

I have to be one of the great music appreciates on the planet. Absolutely no talent at it, no understanding of it's structure, unaware of it's history or theories... I just love to listen. I can't even hear what most can because of a unique hearing imperfection. 

So, it makes no sense that I am so consumed with music.... but I am.

What bugs me are genre snobs. On audio boards you see them all the time. "All new music sucks" is a common mantra. Like only stuff in the 60's and 70's was good. 

Or the classical guys who look down at the simplicity of popular music. 

Then you have the anti hip hop dolts or the anti pop crew. 

Anyway, it's always interesting to me to learn about people and their music. 

How they evolve in listening (although, sadly, most don't it seems) 

jerk.PNG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noonereal said:

Tell me more, what is your primary genre? What are you discovering of late? (genre's styles)

I have to be one of the great music appreciates on the planet. Absolutely no talent at it, no understanding of it's structure, unaware of it's history or theories... I just love to listen. I can't even hear what most can because of a unique hearing imperfection. 

So, it makes no sense that I am so consumed with music.... but I am.

What bugs me are genre snobs. On audio boards you see them all the time. "All new music sucks" is a common mantra. Like only stuff in the 60's and 70's was good. 

Or the classical guys who look down at the simplicity of popular music. 

Then you have the anti hip hop dolts or the anti pop crew. 

Anyway, it's always interesting to me to learn about people and their music. 

How they evolve in listening (although, sadly, most don't it seems) 

jerk.PNG

I'll get back to you on this when I have some more time

On 1/10/2017 at 6:45 AM, noonereal said:

Any Joe Walsh fans here?

I always felt Joe Walsh wasted much of his career with the Eagles.

Thoughts?

Huge Joe Walsh fan! One of the best Slide players out there.

Cool Story........Some friends of my families are huge Joe Walsh fans and have an annual birthday party celebrating Joe on Joe's Birthday every year......well one year Joe somehow caught wind of this, and decided to show up to his birthday party. He became friends with them and still sometimes comes to the party  or hangs out whenever he's in town. 

As far as the Eagles........The Eagles are up there among music royalty IMO. Not sure there's another group besides the Beatles that I have more respect for. They have unmatchable harmonies......some of the very best songwriters.....all great musicians......a huge collection of hits........and most importantly they are one of, if not thee, greatest live bands.  As far as how Joe fits in...........I think he's a perfect fit for the Eagles, both vocally and his playing style. 

I guess you could argue Joe Walsh could've had a higher ceiling outside of the Eagles, but he always did do side projects and solo stuff. 

• Like 3