OT: Offseason heavy metal/hard rock ETC. thread

golfaddict1

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Huge Joe Walsh fan! One of the best Slide players out there.

Cool Story........Some friends of my families are huge Joe Walsh fans and have an annual birthday party celebrating Joe on Joe's Birthday every year......well one year Joe somehow caught wind of this, and decided to show up to his birthday party. He became friends with them and still sometimes comes to the party  or hangs out whenever he's in town. 

As far as the Eagles........The Eagles are up there among music royalty IMO. Not sure there's another group besides the Beatles that I have more respect for. They have unmatchable harmonies......some of the very best songwriters.....all great musicians......a huge collection of hits........and most importantly they are one of, if not thee, greatest live bands.  As far as how Joe fits in...........I think he's a perfect fit for the Eagles, both vocally and his playing style. 

I guess you could argue Joe Walsh could've had a higher ceiling outside of the Eagles, but he always did do side projects and solo stuff. 

Great story!

As to the Eagles, don't know about unmatched harmonies. Crosby Still and Nash IMO are unequaled in this genre.

I just never warmed to the Eagles.  Not at all. Good music, not great, for me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, noonereal said:

I love some Neil Young.

Just songs I have downloaded on my phone...

Flying On The Ground Is Hard To Do

Motor City

Get Back To The Country

Grey Riders

Til The Morning Comes

Heart Of Gold

Harvest Moon

Old Man

Walk With Me

Hitchhiker

Neil Young and Crazyhorse:

Powderfinger

Not sure that he is the right genre for this thread exactly... Dude is practically a genre all on his own. ha

49 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I love some Neil Young.

Just songs I have downloaded on my phone...

Flying On The Ground Is Hard To Do

Motor City

Get Back To The Country

Grey Riders

Til The Morning Comes

Heart Of Gold

Harvest Moon

Old Man

Walk With Me

Hitchhiker

Neil Young and Crazyhorse:

Powderfinger

Not sure that he is the right genre for this thread exactly... Dude is practically a genre all on his own. ha

My dad is a huge Neil Young fan...I basically grew up listening to Neil Young

15 hours ago, noonereal said:

Great story!

As to the Eagles, don't know about unmatched harmonies. Crosby Still and Nash IMO are unequaled in this genre.

I just never warmed to the Eagles.  Not at all. Good music, not great, for me. 

I, too, love Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

Still, I've never heard as tight of vocals as the Eagles 5 part harmonies, especially in their live performances. The first time I heard them do the 5 part harmony "Hole in the World" (their September 11th song) I was just in awe. 

On 1/10/2017 at 6:09 AM, noonereal said:

Tell me more, what is your primary genre? What are you discovering of late? (genre's styles)

I have to be one of the great music appreciates on the planet. Absolutely no talent at it, no understanding of it's structure, unaware of it's history or theories... I just love to listen. I can't even hear what most can because of a unique hearing imperfection. 

So, it makes no sense that I am so consumed with music.... but I am.

What bugs me are genre snobs. On audio boards you see them all the time. "All new music sucks" is a common mantra. Like only stuff in the 60's and 70's was good. 

Or the classical guys who look down at the simplicity of popular music. 

Then you have the anti hip hop dolts or the anti pop crew. 

Anyway, it's always interesting to me to learn about people and their music. 

How they evolve in listening (although, sadly, most don't it seems) 

jerk.PNG

Ah, but as long as you have ears, then you possess the best instrument anybody can have. Your ears are indeed a musical instrument. They work the same way any instrument does. 

I've grown up around music.....my dad and every single one of my uncles and nearly every one of my male cousins on BOTH sides of my family play one or multiple instruments. A handful of them sing too. Among them there's about 5-6 different bands/solo acts that play out live. I, personally don't practice enough to play out live, but I can play the guitar and Ukelele. 

Because my dad has played in bands for pretty much his entire life, he is my biggest influence and the reason I know so much music and musicians from well before my time. My parents and my uncle's favorite band is Yes. My dad really likes tons of different styles and really likes the Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion styles. So I definitely listen to alot of that stuff.

The first bands I can remember really liking were Green Day and Metallica. I don't really ever listen to Green Day anymore. I still love Metallica, and can still identify any song from their entire catalog within the first few notes......though I don't really listen to heavier music all that much anymore. 

My own personal tastes vary month to month/week to week. Probably my most listened to artist is Michael Franti and Spearhead............. Alot of the time you'll hear me listening composers of film scores..........I'm a very big Neil Young fan.......... I really love funk and some of the good jambands that are out now.........I like alot of the pop singer/songwriters out there.......Anything with very good vocals be it Gospel, Soul, pop, rock etc.

As far as individual stuff.....I'll have to post some stuff as I listen

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Ah, but as long as you have ears, then you possess the best instrument anybody can have. Your ears are indeed a musical instrument. They work the same way any instrument does. 

I've grown up around music.....my dad and every single one of my uncles and nearly every one of my male cousins on BOTH sides of my family play one or multiple instruments. A handful of them sing too. Among them there's about 5-6 different bands/solo acts that play out live. I, personally don't practice enough to play out live, but I can play the guitar and Ukelele. 

Because my dad has played in bands for pretty much his entire life, he is my biggest influence and the reason I know so much music and musicians from well before my time. My parents and my uncle's favorite band is Yes. My dad really likes tons of different styles and really likes the Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion styles. So I definitely listen to alot of that stuff.

The first bands I can remember really liking were Green Day and Metallica. I don't really ever listen to Green Day anymore. I still love Metallica, and can still identify any song from their entire catalog within the first few notes......though I don't really listen to heavier music all that much anymore. 

My own personal tastes vary month to month/week to week. Probably my most listened to artist is Michael Franti and Spearhead............. Alot of the time you'll hear me listening composers of film scores..........I'm a very big Neil Young fan.......... I really love funk and some of the good jambands that are out now.........I like alot of the pop singer/songwriters out there.......Anything with very good vocals be it Gospel, Soul, pop, rock etc.

As far as individual stuff.....I'll have to post some stuff as I listen

Coletrain,

Your dad and uncle have good taste!

I also am a big fan of Yes.... who finally got into RRHF! What took so long?

Also a big Rush & Deep Purple fan....what took so long?

Love Crosby Stills Nash & Young music

And when I visit the dark side ... a little Black Sabbath & Metallica  xD

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Coletrain,

Your dad and uncle have good taste!

I also am a big fan of Yes.... who finally got into RRHF! What took so long?

Also a big Rush & Deep Purple fan....what took so long?

Love Crosby Stills Nash & Young music

And when I visit the dark side ... a little Black Sabbath & Metallica  xD

Yea saw Yes with Toto in Dayton last year. Toto was very good but mixed poorly. YES was incredible. Obviously both lineups were missing alot of the original members but Jon Andersons replacement sounded dead on. 

Huge Rush and Deep Purple fan. Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, geddy Lee is amazing, and Alex Lifeson is incredibly underrated. Ritchie Blackmore and Deep Purple may be my favorite classic rock band. 

Gotta love Sabbath and Metallica 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yea saw Yes with Toto in Dayton last year. Toto was very good but mixed poorly. YES was incredible. Obviously both lineups were missing alot of the original members but Jon Andersons replacement sounded dead on. 

Huge Rush and Deep Purple fan. Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, geddy Lee is amazing, and Alex Lifeson is incredibly underrated. Ritchie Blackmore and Deep Purple may be my favorite classic rock band. 

Gotta love Sabbath and Metallica 

Cole,

You got your music straight up for a young man.... must be good parenting!  :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Alex Lifeson = most under rated guitarist ever!

As far as big names go, I would say him and Brian May of Queen are two of the most underrated. 

Alot of studio and session musicians would blow alot of the big names out of the water. Steve Lukather of Toto was one of the best session guitarists and has been talked about by many of the best as the go to guy back in the day. Most people probably don't even know his name.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

As far as big names go, I would say him and Brian May of Queen are two of the most underrated. 

Alot of studio and session musicians would blow alot of the big names out of the water. Steve Lukather of Toto was one of the best session guitarists and has been talked about by many of the best as the go to guy back in the day. Most people probably don't even know his name.

Did he play with the Beetles... Ringo ?