OT: Offseason heavy metal/hard rock ETC. thread

golfaddict1

25 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Very good call. I would also put Mark Knopfler up there in the underrated category, I don't think he gets the credit being one of the GOATS either..

Agreed, tho I think he gets more credit than the others. 

Knopfler is probably tied for my 2nd favorite guitarist with Joe Satriani and only behind David Gilmour. 

This Knopfler riff is just nasty!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Ah, but as long as you have ears, then you possess the best instrument anybody can have. Your ears are indeed a musical instrument. They work the same way any instrument does. 

I've grown up around music.....my dad and every single one of my uncles and nearly every one of my male cousins on BOTH sides of my family play one or multiple instruments. A handful of them sing too. Among them there's about 5-6 different bands/solo acts that play out live. I, personally don't practice enough to play out live, but I can play the guitar and Ukelele. 

Because my dad has played in bands for pretty much his entire life, he is my biggest influence and the reason I know so much music and musicians from well before my time. My parents and my uncle's favorite band is Yes. My dad really likes tons of different styles and really likes the Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion styles. So I definitely listen to alot of that stuff.

The first bands I can remember really liking were Green Day and Metallica. I don't really ever listen to Green Day anymore. I still love Metallica, and can still identify any song from their entire catalog within the first few notes......though I don't really listen to heavier music all that much anymore. 

My own personal tastes vary month to month/week to week. Probably my most listened to artist is Michael Franti and Spearhead............. Alot of the time you'll hear me listening composers of film scores..........I'm a very big Neil Young fan.......... I really love funk and some of the good jambands that are out now.........I like alot of the pop singer/songwriters out there.......Anything with very good vocals be it Gospel, Soul, pop, rock etc.

As far as individual stuff.....I'll have to post some stuff as I listen

way cool stuff

You dad will love this. In 1971, end of November, NYC, I saw Yes. They were part of a 3 band bill. 

Yes performed first followed by King Crimson, followed by the headliner, Procol Harum. 

A little musicianship in my family as well. My grandfather was a musician and so is my cousin. 

• Like 1