Louisiana Set to Strike Down Jim Crow Era Law

BUFORDGAWOLVES

6 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

What happened to their"Chocolate City" mayor !!!  Politicall corrupt state for over 100 years and one of the worst politically informed states out there....Read about NO and those southern Democrtats and for how long they were warned about those faulty dykes around that city...

You watch your mouth when you talk about the Honorable C. Ray Nagin, Jr.!

feb-24-2009-new-orleans-louisiana-usa-ne

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I'm willing to bet which one is the Conservative and notice Former Mayor Nagin has nothing to do with this but magically became the topic. 

John DeRosier, district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, told the panel that the law's roots in white supremacy aren't a good enough reason to change anything.  WTF (I'm gonna bet he is a Conservative)

"I've heard a lot about this system begin adopted as a vestige of slavery. I have no reason to doubt that. I'm not proud of that, that that's the way it started, but it is what it is," he said.  More of his B.S. (Preserve vestige's of Slavery.  Hell La. had a KKK Leader on it's Vietnam Draft Board as well during that War.

After the opponents testified, Rep. Ted James, an African-American lawmaker on the committee, took issue with DeRosier's words.     Damn Right:  What black person would want to be judged under Jim Crow and Slavery Laws in 2018.  This is just a damn shame.  I hope the World sees this. 

"You are elected to represent everybody," he told DeRosier, "and to admit that it started in slavery and say 'it is what it is,' I hope that the people of your parish are listening. And if they aren't I'm going to make sure that they know what you said today. I am utterly offended

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I'm willing to bet which one is the Conservative and notice Former Mayor Nagin has nothing to do with this but magically became the topic. 

John DeRosier, district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, told the panel that the law's roots in white supremacy aren't a good enough reason to change anything.  WTF (I'm gonna bet he is a Conservative)

"I've heard a lot about this system begin adopted as a vestige of slavery. I have no reason to doubt that. I'm not proud of that, that that's the way it started, but it is what it is," he said.  More of his B.S.

After the opponents testified, Rep. Ted James, an African-American lawmaker on the committee, took issue with DeRosier's words.     Damn Right:  What black person would want to be judged under Jim Crow and Slavery Laws in 2018.  This is just a damn shame.  I hope the World sees this. 

"You are elected to represent everybody," he told DeRosier, "and to admit that it started in slavery and say 'it is what it is,' I hope that the people of your parish are listening. And if they aren't I'm going to make sure that they know what you said today. I am utterly offended

First off, the spirit of C. Ray lives on in all of us, not just the denizens of NoLa, and inspires us to new heights daily.  When I think of him I am reminded of the Elton John tribute to the beloved Princess Di, “...and it seems to me, you lived your life, like a candle in the wind...your candle burned out long before your legend ever will...”

As to the original point contemporary left-right politics has nothing to do with it.  The law may have had its roots in Jim Crow but at this point you’ll have to show it’s still being applied in a discriminatory manner for me to accept that as a reason to repeal it.  You’re telling me white defendants in those cases are subject to different rules? Show me that happens and I’ll march through Jackson Sqaure right next to you chanting “No Justice, No Peace!”

Now I agree it should be unanimous, if nothing else as another check that “we the people” have on government power.  I’d make it unanimous.

But simply shouting “racism” isn’t enough.

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

DeRosier would be a idiot for saying that. 

Amazing how do these people sleep at night?

My understanding of Louisiana judicial system was based on French law then as you see evolved incorporating Jim Crow and current laws. 

Definitely don’t want to be involved in that system. 

Me either sir and any decent human being would not either.  Since they like to change the topic look at this

Just as the official numbers of those soldiers killed is low is it close to impossible to acturately know the number of young Black men who were sent to Vietnam and who came home from the war.  Black soldiers were drafted in huge numbers to fight in Vietnam from states with all-white draft boards, including: Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana.

Having all white draft boards especially in the south creates situations where disproportionate to their numbers in the age group of potential draftees, Blacks were sent to Vietnam at twice  the rate as their white counterparts.  That is to say, Black soldiers were recruited to fight in a war when at home they were discriminated against, living in states still operating under the last vestiges of Jim Crow.

That recruitment got a boost from Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara’s Project 100,000. Project 100,000 began in 1966 intended to recruit Black and low income whites from the south. Especially important to understand in this movement to recruit Black soldiers for Vietnam is how disproportionate the numbers were.

Blacks were 45% of the 100,000 troops recruited mainly into the Army and Marines, those the most likely to see combat.

Whites were drafted into the Navy and AF in high numbers during Vietnam where they were not likely to see Combat. 4% of the Population made up 30% of Combat troops.  Wrap your head around that.   And much respect to all the Light Green Warriors that fought along side their Dark Green Brothers.  I never met a Black Navy or AF Vietnam vet in my life. All Army and Marines.

Now that is flipping a topic to show the persistence of B.S.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

First off, the spirit of C. Ray lives on in all of us, not just the denizens of NoLa, and inspires us to new heights daily.  When I think of him I am reminded of the Elton John tribute to the beloved Princess Di, “...and it seems to me, you lived your life, like a candle in the wind...”

As to the original point contemporary left-right politics has nothing to do with it.  The law may have had its roots in Jim Crow but at this point you’ll have to show it’s still being applied in a discriminatory manner for me to accept that as a reason to repeal it.  You’re telling me white defendants in those cases are subject to different rules?  Show me that happens and I’ll march through Jackson Sqaure right next to you changing “No Justice, No Peace!”

Now I agree it should be unanimous, if nothing else as another check that “we the people” have on government power.  I’d make it unanimous.

But simply shouting “racism” isn’t enough.

Sir being intellectually honest anything derived in Slavery can never be applied to African Americans with Justice.  What you will find is Just Us :).  But I am sure I am not intelligent enough to wrap my head around such a practice. And I don't live there so I shall bow out after my 02. cents.  I agree shouting racism isn't enough.  But I will bet historically they can present a helluva case and they lawyers are smarter than I.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Sir being intellectually honest anything derived in Slavery can never be applied to African Americans with Justice.  What you will find is Just Us :).  But I am sure I am not intelligent enough to wrap my head around such a practice. And I don't live there so I shall bow out after my 02. cents.  I agree shouting racism isn't enough.  But I will bet historically they can present a helluva case and they lawyers are smarter than I.

I respect your experiences and the lens through which you view these topics.  I have no doubt our two lives have diverged in marked ways due to obvious differences.

And I agree that the genesis of these laws does warrant a closer look at how they are applied.  In this instance I get that the origin of the law was with evil intent.  But you’ll have to show some sort of different impact by race in the present to show it still has that evil outcome.

We agree it should be changed even if not for the same reasons.  That two people with different outlooks can come to the same conclusion is something I find heartening in today’s America.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

What happened to their"Chocolate City" mayor !!!  Politicall corrupt state for over 100 years and one of the worst politically informed states out there....Read about NO and those southern Democrtats and for how long they were warned about those faulty dykes around that city...

Dumber61, picking hate boogers and babbling again on a topic he is clueless on.

Wipe those boogers on your forehead, old man.

1 hour ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

I respect your experiences and the lens through which you view these topics.  I have no doubt our two lives have diverged in marked ways due to obvious differences.

And I agree that the genesis of these laws does warrant a closer look at how they are applied.  In this instance I get that the origin of the law was with evil intent.  But you’ll have to show some sort of different impact by race in the present to show it still has that evil outcome.

We agree it should be changed even if not for the same reasons.  That two people with different outlooks can come to the same conclusion is something I find heartening in today’s America.

Great post.  

I'll post some links later that show that blacks and whites are treated differently in the judicial system.  The whole judicial system.  This is the whole country that this happens but there are areas where it is worse and LA is one of those. 

I don't have the links on my phone but I'll post them when I get home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drummer61 said:

IMO LA will not get their SHIT together..ie this Jim Crow bussiness along with dismantling statues of Southern generals isjust taking down historical fact will not help anybody.......... as it only blanks out part of our history that some don't like...Change comes from individules not  by destroying history...  Next they will attempt, never mind....It's all liberal BS...

It doesn't destroy history at all.  Taking down statues is the right thing to do.  Put them in museums and people can go look at them and learn about them All they want.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DevilDog said:

"I've heard a lot about this system begin adopted as a vestige of slavery. I have no reason to doubt that. I'm not proud of that, that that's the way it started, but it is what it is," he said.  More of his B.S. (Preserve vestige's of Slavery.  Hell La. had a KKK Leader on it's Vietnam Draft Board as well during that War.

Leftists? 

🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Sometimes we all fall pray to MSNBC and CNN tactics....You should have praised me...I used that mayor as an example of how corrupt LA has been and that changing those purported Jim Crow laws won't change anything, and they won't...

I was actually making jabs at Eddy. Inside joke with DD I think, which is why I quoted DD instead of you. 

Eddy thinks the guys that DD posted about are leftists. Maybe they are so far left that the are actually almost to the right.

• Like 1

• BUFORDGAWOLVES changed the title to Louisiana Set to Strike Down Jim Crow Era Law
  • 1 year later...
On 4/26/2018 at 4:22 PM, DevilDog said:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/supreme-court-bolsters-unanimous-jury-rule-in-louisiana-case

@DevilDog

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, World Citizen said:

It doesn't destroy history at all.  Taking down statues is the right thing to do.  Put them in museums and people can go look at them and learn about them All they want.   

All statues then right? MLK hated gays put the statue in a museum. JFK fucked everything that moved blow out the flame move it to a museum right? Allah was a pedophile. Move his likeness to a museum right?

Or does THE WOKE white guy only want statues he doesn't like to prove his wokeness taken down?

Serious question?

4 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

All statues then right? MLK hated gays put the statue in a museum. JFK fucked everything that moved blow out the flame move it to a museum right? Allah was a pedophile. Move his likeness to a museum right?

Or does THE WOKE white guy only want statues he doesn't like to prove his wokeness taken down?

Serious question?

Did MLK fight to enslave or kill them?

Laying pipe behind your wife's back is a long way from slavery, genocide and disliking a certain group.

And FYI, I'm pretty sure that likenesses of Allah and Mohammad are not permitted in Islam.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Serious question?

Martin Luther King did not hate gays. As a matter of fact one of the people who worked right alongside of him Bayard Rustin was one of the leaders of the civil rights movement and quite gay.  Quite well respected and was among his right hand men.  

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Martin Luther King did not hate gays. As a matter of fact one of the people work right alongside of him Bayard Rustin was one of the leaders of the civil rights movement and quite gay quite well respected and was among his right hand men.  

As I was MLK thought homosexuality was a sin and a disease.

Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconsciously repressed. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that lead to the habit. In order to do this I would suggest that you see a good psychiatrist who can assist you in bringing to the forefront of conscience all of those experiences and circumstances that lead to the habit. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.- MLK

9 minutes ago, concha said:

Did MLK fight to enslave or kill them?

Laying pipe behind your wife's back is a long way from slavery, genocide and disliking a certain group.

And FYI, I'm pretty sure that likenesses of Allah and Mohammad are not permitted in Islam.

So is that the standard? Killing people? If you killed thousands of people history comes down?

Listen I'm all for it? But we're does it end? Should all statues of Jefferson come down? How about Washington? They both owned slaves? 

History is already being hidden from the youth. Half of them don't know it is their right to own a weapon.

You knowno how you make it easy to take ones rights? You never let them know they had any.