Calpreps Database Preseason Top 25 (as of May 2nd)

RedZone

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Indeed.  

No clearer example than Arkansas last year.  High state scale and two schools finish 7th and 14th in the end of year top 25.  

It’s a human poll with an algorithm bandaid.  :)   It’s the Ned Freeman poll.  NY and Wisconsin were powerhouses in the past.   He defines the ratings with his state scale parameters.  

The PAM for OOS is a novelty tool and won’t matter much as most OOS games will have been played prior to October 1st anyway.  Oct 1 we are into district play w data likely already within district play.  Not a bad starting entry point to predict games.

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

I can verify how many CP teams are in comp top 25

You appear not worth the effort on further explanations — your post clearly illustrates that you are among the tappers that just want to yap and aren’t capable of thought

No you are just kissing their ass because it makes that "badass" state look good 

Fact is California can't come close to touching FL 

De La Salle is 0-2 against FL and they the states most celebrated program 

Not to mention that your top 5 ranked St John Bosco who is considered 2nd best team in cali last year lost to a FL team who wasn't even top 10 in our damn state 

Those are facts buddy, don't yap about me when you haven't produced one piece of evidence to defend calpreps "slim" credibility 

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

I can verify how many CP teams are in comp top 25

You appear not worth the effort on further explanations — your post clearly illustrates that you are among the tappers that just want to yap and aren’t capable of thought

I don't give a shit what a computer that has no human input on teams thinks

Those computer polls can't distinguish between teams who pad stats and ones who actually play real competition, that's why so many undefeated teams who play no one good can get ranked high in computer polls over teams playing a real schedule 

21 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I don't give a shit what a computer that has no human input on teams thinks

Those computer polls can't distinguish between teams who pad stats and ones who actually play real competition, that's why so many undefeated teams who play no one good can get ranked high in computer polls over teams playing a real schedule 

Actually the opposite is true

teams that play no one and run up a bunch of wins will much more likely be overranked by humans 

see John Curtis 2012 — #1 in most human polls, #152 at CP after playing no one in top 300 with half the competition outside the top 10,000 

wanna try again?

1 minute ago, Pops said:

teams that play no one and run up a bunch of wins will much more likely be overranked by humans 

see John Curtis 2012 — #1 in most human polls, #152 at CP after playing no one in top 300 with half the competition outside the top 10,000 

wanna try again?

I see maxpreps constantly ranking undefeated teams heading into the playoffs way high only for them to get bounced in first round 

Also these computer polls like maxpreps had North Little Rock ranked higher than any Texas team and also ranked over a solid Ben Davis team 

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

wanna try again?

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/rankings.aspx?schoolid=6c1ff40f-6309-44b7-a7fc-77965825d04b&ssid=d7de9baf-87f8-4a16-bf62-ff51dcb7b9d5

Just now, Columbiafan said:

I see maxpreps constantly ranking undefeated teams heading into the playoffs way high only for them to get bounced in first round 

Also these computer polls like maxpreps had North Little Rock ranked higher than any Texas team and also ranked over a solid Ben Davis team 

Anyone can atecdotally criticize any poll

I'm still waiting for you to name a better one 

if Echs’s personal poll is still your answer, well.... I’d prefer something more challenging to dismiss 

1 minute ago, Pops said:

What is this?  What’s your point?

North Little Rock over Allen TX and Ben Davis? 

You defending computer polls so explain how North Little Rock is better than those teams or better yet how they better than tons of teams from power states not ranked that high? 

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

Anyone can atecdotally criticize any poll

I'm still waiting for you to name a better one 

if Echs’s personal poll is still your answer, well.... I’d prefer something more challenging to dismiss 

The composite poll on this board is better

The no nonsense poll on this board is better 

So basically any poll by a experts is better than maxpreps or calpreps 

7 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

North Little Rock over Allen TX and Ben Davis? 

You defending computer polls so explain how North Little Rock is better than those teams or better yet how they better than tons of teams from power states not ranked that high? 

First of all, maybe north Little Rock is that good — neither you nor I know for sure

i’ll Concede there appears to have been a glitch in the algorithm boosting specifically Arkansas last year

youre going to be able to shoot holes in any poll 

here what CP does best

— ordinally rates/ ranks 14,000 teams and gives us National hsfb goobers something to talk about 

— uses empirical evidence to objectively differentiate between teams

— changes the order of teams every week - has zero inheritance potential

— can’t see talent/ potential, just results 

— remarkably, still gets about 80% of the comp 25, same as most other polls and the differences are worth noting

— will be the last poll to overrank a team for beating a bunch of tomatoe cans

— will have the highest ranked team with a loss, or 2 losses, or 3 losses most years — gives credit for SOS

— elevated playoff ratings when teams are supposed to be playing their best

again, give me an alternative, don’t just bring up north Little Rock 

21 minutes ago, Pops said:

First of all, maybe north Little Rock is that good — neither you nor I know for sure

i’ll Concede there appears to have been a glitch in the algorithm boosting specifically Arkansas last year

here what CP does best

— ordinally rates/ ranks 14,000 teams and gives us National hsfb goobers something to talk about 

— uses empirical evidence to objectively differentiate between teams

— remarkably, still gets about 80% of the comp 25, same as most other polls and the differences are worth noting

— will have the highest ranked team with a loss, or 2 losses, or 3 losses most years — gives credit for SOS

And will be the only poll ever to move a team from 17th place to #1 the next week and that was the last week😮

what kind of whacky we talking here

your argument was sound till you thought you lost us... but not here😆

59 minutes ago, Pops said:

here what CP does best

uses empirical evidence to objectively differentiate between teams

The weight given to these results is determined by a California homer.

Whats incredible to me, is you STILL dont seem to understand what state scaling is... Even after I explained it for years, and Ned make a link explaining...,you brush it off because you dont get it.

29 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Smh 

No chance that many teams better than Gorman 

Yeah that’s a little hard to believe. Especially considering how BG handled DLS last year. I know their both different teams this year, but I don’t see BG having that big of a drop off to warrant a #130 ranking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Smh 

No chance that many teams better than Gorman 

1 hour ago, Gator 82 said:

Yeah that’s a little hard to believe. Especially considering how BG handled DLS last year. I know their both different teams this year, but I don’t see BG having that big of a drop off to warrant a #130 ranking.

You both find it inconceivable that BG would only be better than 99.1% of teams instead of 99.9%?

with a 50% roster turnover, new year, etc?

on an algorithm that shouldn’t even be viewed until October when there is some empirical results to evaluate?

I suggest the issue is yours

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

You both find it inconceivable that BG would only be better than 99.1% of teams instead of 99.9%?

on an algorithm that shouldn’t even be viewed until October when there is some empirical results to evaluate?

34-7, yeah the issue is mine.

48 minutes ago, Pops said:

Considering some of the teams ranked ahead of them 

Yes i find it to be bullshit 

31 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

34-7, yeah the issue is mine.

You don’t see the stupidity of getting agitated about BG being ranked too low in May in a work-in-progress algorithm that is effectively worthless until it can evaluate results

or understand the irrelevancy or immaturity of just tossing last year’s BG-DLS score as your touché?

Yep, your issue

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Considering some of the teams ranked ahead of them 

Yes i find it to be bullshit 

You shouldn’t find it anything

this is like critiquing a movie by reading the first star if the script 

you guys need to unwad your panties