Thomas Sowell is nation treasure...

Eddyr2

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I've heard of him, but know nothing of him...

Who is he?

C.A.

Thomas Sowell grew up in Harlem, NYC. He is a right wing Economist who has consistently taken positions that the "Welfare State" has been a detriment to African Americans and the poor in general. In that sense he has been a "treasure" of the right wing of US politics for the past 50 years. I will give him an A for consistency and a D for his economic and social prescriptions. He was a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation based out of Stanford University.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

He speaks no differently from many other conservative pundits, but with a lot more admiration.  Why is HE a national treasure?

Because he is black. It is very important to the right's sense of well being to have a brother on their side. Let's call a spade a spade and a heart a heart. 

He studied under Milton Friedman at the University of Chicago. Apparently he was greatly influenced by the great monetarist!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Because he is black. It is very important to the right's sense of well being to have a brother on their side. Let's call a spade a spade and a heart a heart. 

He studied under Milton Friedman at the University of Chicago. Apparently he was greatly influenced by the great monetarist!

Oh I know it, I wanted these guys to admit to it.  I find their use of the word "national treasure" peculiar as I've read comments on other sites that described him in the same way.  At best this is nothing more than group think.

ive read a few of his books, some things I agreed with, other things not so much.  I'm cautious with a person that is an "expert" in many areas, he's commented on social issues, climate change and of course economics.

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Let's call a guy courageous for stepping off the plantation.

And of course the left has to point to his skin color.  His intelligence and eloquence are what I appreciate most. To the left... well, he's gotta be an Uncle Tom first and foremost.

• Thanks 1

Just now, concha said:

Let's call a guy courageous for stepping off the plantation.

And of course the left has to point to his skin color.  His intelligence and eloquence are what I appreciate most. To the left... well, he's gotta be an Uncle Tom first and foremost.

You like repeating that line "stepping offf the plantation", as if that doesn't have racial overtones, but yet you lecture the left for focusing on skin color.  Lol 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You like repeating that line "stepping offf the plantation", as if that doesn't have racial overtones, but yet you lecture the left for focusing on skin color.  Lol 

Look at who mentioned his skin color first in the thread.

Then giggle some more while you think about my response.

What's next? Are you going to claim that black conservatives are treated by the left and within the AA community no differently than if they were liberals? Let me go get some popcorn.

2 minutes ago, concha said:

Look at who mentioned his skin color first in the thread.

Then giggle some more while you think about my response.

What's next? Are you going to claim that black conservatives are treated by the left and within the AA community no differently than if they were liberals? Let me go get some popcorn.

You have repeated on several occasions black liberals being on the plantation in their thinking.  That's pretty myopic and condescending.

He's treated no differently than how white conservatives treat white liberals and vice versa..  in this country there is a deep and strong disdain for those with differing political opinions.  So, why are you singling out the black community in this regard and holding them to a different expectation?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Outstanding man as I have spoken about him on the board, met him and have read him for 20 years...Libs don't like him and certain groups that we all know about,  dismiss or admonish him.....He talks about the welfare state and accountability...Big govt type don't like that....Need more like him...🤙🤙🤙

Yeah, compelling comments here on why he's a "national treasure". you guys crack me with your vapid responses. 

22 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You have repeated on several occasions black liberals being on the plantation in their thinking.  That's pretty myopic and condescending.

He's treated no differently than how white conservatives treat white liberals and vice versa..  in this country there is a deep and strong disdain for those with differing political opinions.  So, why are you singling out the black community in this regard and holding them to a different expectation?

1)  Myopic and condescending?  Look at how black conservatives (a small minority) are treated. Divert from the liberal group think and count yourself ostracized. Now tell us what the last 50-60 years since the so-called Great Society has gotten the AA community.  How's that worked out?  What's the famous saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

2) White liberals are not a small minority who have to worry about ostracism.  Comparing the situations of white liberals to black conservatives is just laughable.

1 minute ago, concha said:

1)  Myopic and condescending?  Look at how black conservatives (a small minority) are treated. Divert from the liberal group think and count yourself ostracized. Now tell us what the last 50-60 years since the so-called Great Society.  How's that worked out?  What's the famous saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

2) White liberals are not a small minority who have to worry about ostracism.  Comparing the situations of white liberals to black conservatives is just laughable.

This is where folks on the right lose credibility as they like to lump all black liberals into the lower levels of society and whatever characteristics and traits they have, then ALL black liberals are the same.

I know many black liberals that are extremely successful.  My parents were products from the Great Depression and my dad was very successful professionally so it worked out fine as his standard wasn't based on hand outs and perverting the social welfare system.  Their network of black friends were in the same boat.

11 minutes ago, concha said:

1)  Myopic and condescending?  Look at how black conservatives (a small minority) are treated. Divert from the liberal group think and count yourself ostracized. Now tell us what the last 50-60 years since the so-called Great Society.  How's that worked out?  What's the famous saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

This statement is laughable as it very well could be the igniter that sends us into another civil war.  We've definitely had civil unrest bc of political differences...see no farther than squirmishes at rallies and universities.  

8 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

This is where folks on the right lose credibility as they like to lump all black liberals into the lower levels of society and whatever characteristics and traits they have, then ALL black liberals are the same.

I know many black liberals that are extremely successful.  My parents were products from the Great Depression and my dad was very successful professionally so it worked out fine as his standard wasn't based on hand outs and perverting the social welfare system.  Their network of black friends were in the same boat.

I have never suggested that there are no successful black liberals. Not once. Not even a little.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

He speaks no differently from many other conservative pundits, but with a lot more admiration.  Why is HE a national treasure?

he is the most well spoken libertarian economist in the US for over 45 years now. His work on the “welfare state” has been influential to 3 generation. #NationalTreasure 

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

This statement is laughable as it very well could be the igniter that sends us into another civil war.  We've definitely had civil unrest bc of political differences...see no farther than squirmishes at rallies and universities.  

Don't be stupid.  A very large percentage of whites are liberals.

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

But you have broadly referenced black liberals being on the plantation, not progressing farther than handouts and entitlements

So whenever I post I have to publish a treatise that spells out all caveats and exceptions?

Broad view:  African-Americans have seen the destruction of the black family occur under the modern liberal state. Birth-out-of-wedlock (~70% or more). Abortion (3x-4x the national average). Single-mother homes. Incarceration...

Does this apply to all? Of course not. But are you going to tell me that the AA community as a whole has not been disproportionately affected?  Do you think Maxine Water's district looks at all like her actual neighborhood?