2018 MD/DC Top 5

NicholasMalibu

On 5/25/2018 at 10:18 AM, Columbiafan said:

Guess he thinks elite teams can't lose to teams they should beat 

The word "upset" must not be in his vocabulary 

Ironic since I could have sworn that St Thomas Aquinas lost to Cooper City a few years back,  i always thought that was a upset 

No, the piece of shit is actually showing his true colors through simple assumption and stereotypes.

37 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

@NicholasMalibu So is Gilman done as a relevant program?

I wouldn’t say done as a relevant program, but they probably won’t be in the National Top 10 again. The sophomore and junior classes are weak, so it will be tough to judge the program for a few more seasons. They did hire an up and coming HC from Georgia that seems to be well reviewed by the Gilman folks. I know the school is committed to having a very competitive football team. I could see them being a Gonzaga level program for the near future. 

50 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They should strive to make MDs Top 5 first. 

I agree. They aren’t anywhere close to the top 5 right now. I think Gonzaga beat them 38-0 last season. SFA did whatever they wanted against them twice. It’s going to be interesting to see what the new HC at Gilman does with SFA this season. I’m not sure forfeiting is the best way to set the tone...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Yea it looks like the entire MIAA-A may forfeit against SFA. I know the four catholic schools have given notice. Gilman and McDonogh are still waiting. I’m going to give it time before I decide who is at fault here. Both sides have an argument. Forfeiting seems a bit over dramatic at first glance...

Have you read any good articles from the Sun on what is going on with this situation?

Are you watching the Stanley Cup?

Las Vegas has gone crazy with hockey fever. Because the Knights are the first pro sports team in Las Vegas the team, the players and the logo have been embraced by the community like nothing I have seen before.(You would have to go back to the UNLV runnin rebels days with Tark to find a comparison.) And yes I am watching the Stanley Cup. I can’t wait for the puck to drop. 

I am a life long fan of the NFL and of the Steelers but the pro game is just not the same as it was just five years ago. Too many rules and an erratic application of the rules. 

After watching just one season of NHL action pro hockey is now my favorite sport. 

As a Caps fan, this is borderline bad for my heart health.

The Caps are a great team and these games have been exciting for sure. 

LV does look like they have an awesome venue.

T-Mobile arena is amazing. I have been to several games this year. The games are even better in person. And I love the pregame shows that they put on. 

Just now, NicholasMalibu said:

They have never been ranked in anyone’s top 10? News to me...

I'm sure you could mine all 15 national polls that have ever existed and find one single instance of Gilman being #8 or #9 but they've never been in the compilation top 10 nor have they ever been considered a top 10 team by consensus at any point in any season.

Yes, facts are definitely news to you.

12 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Have you read any good articles from the Sun on what is going on with this situation?

Las Vegas has gone crazy with hockey fever. Because the Knights are the first pro sports team in Las Vegas the team, the players and the logo have been embraced by the community like nothing I have seen before.(You would have to go back to the UNLV runnin rebels days with Tark to find a comparison.) And yes I am watching the Stanley Cup. I can’t wait for the puck to drop. 

I am a life long fan of the NFL and of the Steelers but the pro game is just not the same as it was just five years ago. Too many rules and an erratic application of the rules. 

After watching just one season of NHL action pro hockey is now my favorite sport. 

The Caps are a great team and these games have been exciting for sure. 

T-Mobile arena is amazing. I have been to several games this year. The games are even better in person. And I love the pregame shows that they put on. 

I don’t think the Baltimore Sun wants to touch this right now. SFA also has a sex abuse scandal going on. If I find something about the football team and the forfeit situation, I’ll post. 

Yea, this Stanley Cup series looks like it’s going to be back and forth. Playoff hockey is unreal. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

I'm sure you could mine all 15 national polls that have ever existed and find one single instance of Gilman being #8 or #9 but they've never been in the compilation top 10 nor have they ever been considered a top 10 team by consensus at any point in any season.

Yes, facts are definitely news to you.

Ok, so someone has considered them a Top 10 team at some point. Got it. 

2 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Ok, so someone has considered them a Top 10 team at some point. Got it. 

That's not what you meant when you said it but I understand that sleazes like you have to weasel out of these situations frequently because you spread falsehoods so much.

And I don't even know the answer to that. I would assuming too much that you had actually known this or checked before you made such a stupid claim.

4 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I don’t think the Baltimore Sun wants to touch this right now. SFA also has a sex abuse scandal going on right now. If I find something about the football team and the forfeit situation, I’ll post.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Yea, this Stanley Cup series looks like it’s going to be back and forth. Playoff hockey is unreal. 

Why didn’t anybody tell us desert dwellers how great hockey is before? 

EC22849F-F28C-405A-AB67-7853D7544B05.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

That's not what you meant when you said it but I understand that sleazes like you have to weasel out of these situations frequently because you spread falsehoods so much.

And I don't even know the answer to that. I would assuming too much that you had actually known this or checked before you made such a stupid claim.

You are easily my favorite poster on here. I’m glad to see you’re back in true form after the “I forgot my password” vacation...

The whole situation is a mess. Personally I'm on the refuse to play SFA side. They have nearly 30 FBS offered kids, a vast majority of whom started at other schools. They're even bringing in a kid from France. The best Gilman teams had less than 10 FBS level players.

SFA was always an odd fit in the MIAA. Their tuition is half the price of the next cheapest A Conference school and 1/4 to 1/5 that of the most expensive ones. They are the only A Conference school that requires no admissions test. Biff Poggi has used these loopholes (and his wife's money) to build a monster that he could have only dreamed of at Gilman, where he was restricted by a high tuition cost and an acceptance rate of less than 10%.

SFA is supposed to be an affordable option for inner-city Baltimore kids to get a better education than at Baltimore City Public Schools. Those are the kids now being displaced by Biff's All-Stars from around the world.

If Calvert Hall and Mount Saint Joseph and Loyola-Blakefield (who left the league entirely after last season) wanted to compete for a national title they'd join the WCAC. The MIAA was never meant to be a power football conference. It was meant to be a place for like-minded private schools to compete after the Baltimore City public schools left the joint public-private league (the MSA) in 1994. The MIAA has been on par with Philly's Inter-AC for most of their existence.

One man has changed all that with his ego trip and desire to win a national championship in football (not to mention his savior complex and the 8.... or 10... or maybe 26 homeless kids he brought to SFA... he kept adding on every time he mentioned it). That man is Biff Poggi and he may almost single-handedly destroy 25 years of work into building one of the best all-around athletic leagues in the country because this situation is going beyond just football right now. It looks as if the league office has been sitting on evidence of SFA breaking league rules for  two years and done nothing. I don't know how the other schools can trust them to deal fairly with them at any point going forward.

9 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

The whole situation is a mess. Personally I'm on the refuse to play SFA side. They have nearly 30 FBS offered kids, a vast majority of whom started at other schools. They're even bringing in a kid from France. The best Gilman teams had less than 10 FBS level players.

So?

Somehow there's virtue in being less good and less talented?

And SFA is better right now than any Gilman team has ever been. Seems to be doing something right.

18 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

SFA is supposed to be an affordable option for inner-city Baltimore kids to get a better education than at Baltimore City Public Schools. Those are the kids now being displaced by Biff's All-Stars from around the world.

---------------

(not to mention his savior complex and the 8.... or 10... or maybe 26 homeless kids he brought to SFA... he kept adding on every time he mentioned it).

Let's juxtapose these two statements.

So initially you complained that SFA was supposed to serve inner-city kids in Baltimore who might not otherwise have a chance at a decent education.

But then in the span of a few sentences you managed to flip completely around and bash Poggi for bringing in homeless kids who I assume don't otherwise have a chance at a decent education.

Somehow I don't think you'll understand how hypocritical you are on this.

16 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

SFA was always an odd fit in the MIAA. Their tuition is half the price of the next cheapest A Conference school and 1/4 to 1/5 that of the most expensive ones. They are the only A Conference school that requires no admissions test. Biff Poggi has used these loopholes (and his wife's money) to build a monster that he could have only dreamed of at Gilman, where he was restricted by a high tuition cost and an acceptance rate of less than 10%.

If Calvert Hall and Mount Saint Joseph and Loyola-Blakefield (who left the league entirely after last season) wanted to compete for a national title they'd join the WCAC. The MIAA was never meant to be a power football conference. It was meant to be a place for like-minded private schools to compete after the Baltimore City public schools left the joint public-private league (the MSA) in 1994. The MIAA has been on par with Philly's Inter-AC for most of their existence.

One man has changed all that with his ego trip and desire to win a national championship in football (not to mention his savior complex and the 8.... or 10... or maybe 26 homeless kids he brought to SFA... he kept adding on every time he mentioned it). That man is Biff Poggi and he may almost single-handedly destroy 25 years of work into building one of the best all-around athletic leagues in the country because this situation is going beyond just football right now. It looks as if the league office has been sitting on evidence of SFA breaking league rules for  two years and done nothing. I don't know how the other schools can trust them to deal fairly with them at any point going forward.

Lets just cut to the chase and say that you're a fan of a school that's been getting it's teeth kicked in by SFA and you want it to stop. Now.

Stop pretending that you care about inner-city kids in Baltimore. It's so transparent.

10 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Don't agree. Delbarton tried this tactic in NJ a few years back. Forfeiting accomplishes nothing and is teaching really bad life lessons to the kids. 

In lacrosse, Loyola-Blakefield beat Mt St Joseph by 10 goals this season, which is the equivalent of beating a team by 42 in football. Also, McDonogh beat John Carroll 19-4 and Calvert Hall beat Archbishop Spalding 16-3. These sissy programs are hypocrites. 

I'd counter by saying that kids aren't going to get physically beat up by a blowout loss in lacrosse or soccer or any other sport. I'd argue it's a safety thing. McDonogh was destroyed physically after playing SFA last year.

Delbarton was ducking teams assembled fairly under a decently competent and very powerful NJISAA. These schools are ducking a national all-star team assembled with no rules and an MIAA that can't enforce even the most basic of their own pathetic rules. None of the BNU teams ever had this much talent, brought in this many transfers or cheated as blatantly. Bosco never brought in kids from France. Refusing to play SFA is more in line with refusing to play IMG. Is every team refusing to play IMG a sissy?

I've seen the voter registrations on two recent SFA players that proved they were too old to play their senior seasons and I know the MIAA office had them too. The league office also allowed inter-conference transfers at SFA to play immediately even though they had proof the player never moved when you need to 30+ miles to transfer to play immediately if you transfer within the conference, per league rules.

The answer isn't to let them walk all over you until Saint Biff get bored or his wife's money runs out. I'd argue you're more of a sissy for staying there and taking the beating then for trying to escape the situation.

It's not that some of these schools couldn't match SFA if they went all in, they don't want to do it. McDonogh has a $100 million plus endowment and donors who have given $50 million in one lump sum. If they wanted to go to war with SFA, they could. They did it with Gilman. They've decided they'd rather not lose their mission as a school chasing after a mythical national championship.

Unlike pretty much every other school in the country, the schools in the MIAA are there voluntarily and the MIAA is not an all-powerful state association. They don't have to do anything the league says because it's not a state association, they can just leave if they want to and form another league.

• Like 1

https://deadspin.com/baltimore-high-schools-sick-of-getting-whupped-by-footb-1826437133

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-miaa-st-frances-folo-0601-story.html

Per the Sun article, the MIAA AD's annual retreat is next week and the remaining 3 schools (McDonogh, Gilman, Archbishop Spalding) that have not decided if they are dropping SFA or not will make a decision at that time.

5 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Sounds like basedon reading your post, the league office sat on it too long and allowed it to fester. 

Hopefully it gets squared away and kids get back to playing soon. 

Regards

BufordGaWolves

• Like 1

St. Frances is currently the #3 trending topic on Twitter for the Baltimore-area.

Lots of nasty back and forth. Some of Poggi's former Gilman players now in college or the NFL are tweeting in defense of him and SFA. Lot of people playing the race card too.

Nobody talks football in Baltimore in May. This is going to be an interesting summer.