2018 MD/DC Top 5

NicholasMalibu

2 hours ago, MA Fan said:

I'd put Morgan ahead of the Bishop Sullivan coach, but his record of stockpiling talent is still a lot better than his record of beating other talented teams. They took some ugly OOS losses at Oscar Smith, had defensive meltdowns against good teams.

The DC did a good job as HC at Potomac Falls, but he was also the DC at Oscar Smith when they got smoked by Gilman and Byrnes. At least five Marietta assistants are former Oscar Smith guys, it is pretty crazy that they got coaches to move en masse to another state like that.

They had a very up and down season... Their QB Harrison Bailey played the 1st 3 games of the season, and the last 3 in the playoffs...you can see how vital he was to their team as they went 5-1 with him, and 3-4 when he was out with an injury.

WITH 4* QB Harrison Bailey (#2 2020 Pro QB) (Marietta went 5-1)

Marietta 42, Wheeler 0 (Bailey was 22-of-31 , 332 yards, 5 TDs)

Marietta 14, Blessed Trinity 6 (BT won GA 4A State Title.. Bailey was 17-of-24 , 167 yards, 2 TDs)

Marietta 24, Pebblebrook 20 (Bailey went 25-of-42, 464 yards, 4 TDs... I guess they missed every XP)

Marietta 34, Westlake 7 (1st Rd of Playoffs... Bailey was 13-of-25, 169 yards, 1 TD)

Marietta 38, Woodstock 28 (2nd Rd... Bailey went 25-of-40, 354 yards, 3 TDs)

North Gwinnett 51, Marietta 41 (Quarterfinals... Bailey went 24-of-41, 338 yards, 5 TDs)

WITHOUT Harrison Bailey ... (3-4)

Lassiter 37, Marietta 14

Marietta 18, Campbell 14

Marietta 44, Kennesaw Mountain 28

Marietta 28, Hillgrove 17

North Cobb 7, Marietta 

McEachern 34, Marietta 14

North Paulding 49, Marietta 14

On May 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

It’s not too early to rank these teams. I’ll give a Top 5, key games, and the top 6 returners with *’s and offers for each team. A few of these squads go 25+ deep with P5 offered kids so I cut it off at the top 6 returners because ADHD. 

1. St. Frances Academy (MIAA-Baltimore)- Better than last year. Added a few very solid transfers. 

Key games-

DeMatha and then who knows. They haven’t released much. Last year’s schedule was weak so hopefully they did a bit more research for 2018. You can’t keep selling yourself to these recruits by saying your biggest OOS game is Bishop Sullivan(no offense).

Top 6 returners-

QB Jalon Jones 4*(Florida commit)

LB Shane Lee 4*(Alabama commit)

OL Darien Dalcourt 4*(Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc... offers)

RB Joachim Bangda 3*(Alabama, Ohio State, Penn St., etc... offers)

DE Chris Braswell 4*( Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, etc... offers)

LB Aaron Willis 4*(Florida, Penn St., Michigan, etc... offers)

2. St. John’s College High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- Again, will be better this season. The last QB Doyle(Arizona) was a massive reason for the success of 2017, but if the Hawaii transfer can get the ball in the right spots, SJC will be in the MNC discussion. They’ll have back ups with SEC offers. 

Key games-

Hoover, IMG, Marietta, and Miami Central. 

Top 6 returners-

QB Sol-Jay Maiava 4*( Michigan, Oregon, Washington, etc... offers)

RB Keilan Robinson 4*(Alabama, Florida St., Georgia, etc... offers)

LB Mekhail Sherman 4*(Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St., etc... offers)

WR Rakim Jarrett 4*(Florida, Florida St., Michigan, etc... offers)

DE Tre’Mon Morris-Brash 4*(Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, etc...)

DB Luke Hill 4*( Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma, etc... offers)

3. DeMatha Catholic High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- Last year was a huge let down. The offense couldn’t score. They will feature a new OC and DC. Transfers are still enrolling. They have the talent to win the WCAC, but offensive production is a massive concern. 

Key games-

St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Frances Academy, Imhotep Charter. 

Top 6 returners-

DB Nick Cross 4*(Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, etc...offers)

ATH DeMarcco Hellams 4*(Penn St., Clemson, Alabama, etc...offers)

RB Marshawn Lloyd 4*(Ohio St., Notre Dame, Florida, etc...offers)

LB Greg Penn III 4*(Florida, Nebraska, West Virginia, etc...offers) 

DE Coziah Izzard 4*(Notre Dame, Georgia, Tennessee, etc...offers)

OL Golden Achumba 4*(Florida, Michigan, Boston College offers)

4.) Gonzaga College High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- 10 years ago, this Gonzaga team would be the top team in the area. Not so much in 2018 with the arms race between the top private schools. They will feature the best QB in the WCAC. I feel like half of their team will end up playing at a FCS, Ivy, or service academy. This team will push SJC and DM for the WCAC title. Best coaching in the league.

Key games-

Don Bosco Prep, Bishop Sullivan 

Top 6 returners- 

QB Caleb Williams 4*(Florida, Florida St., Michigan, etc...offers)

DE Joseph Wete 4*( Penn St., Oklahoma, USC,etc...)

DE Hunter Stewart 3*(Missouri, UNC, West Virginia, etc...offers)

ATH Dean Engram 3*(Wisconsin, Penn St., Virginia Tech, etc...)

OL Luke Petitbon 3*(Vanderbilt, Boston College, Cincinnati offers)

OL Jestus Johnson 3*(Rutgers and Cincinnati offers)

5. Our Lady of Good Counsel High School(WCAC-Washington DC)-Very similar to Gonzaga, but with a under recruited running threat at QB. The OL is massive(6’4 310 average) and the RB is a workhorse. This team is about as disciplined as it gets. We’ll see what they are about in game 1 vs Marietta. 

Key games-

Marietta, St. Joseph’s Prep

Top 6 returners-

WR Cam Hart 3*(Michigan State, UNC, West Virginia, etc...offers) 

OL Landon Tengwall 4*(Ohio St., Penn St., LSU, etc...offers)

LB Julio Ayamel 3*(Kentucky, Army, Air Force offers)

LB Jalen Green 3*(Virginia offer)

LB Mitchell Melton 3*(Rutgers offer)

OL Mason Lunsford 3*(Virginia, Army, Air Force, etc...offers)

Pretty impressive group.  Could start with two in Tier 1.  Most improved area over the past 2-3 years.  Showing the rest of the country what the BNU discovered early, that the DC boys can ball and are nationally relevant.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Pretty impressive group.  Could start with two in Tier 1.  Most improved area over the past 2-3 years.  Showing the rest of the country what the BNU discovered early, that the DC boys can ball and are nationally relevant.

MD/DC, NJ, AZ, HI all have something in common 

All have a few solid teams at the top but will never be top 3 simply because of depth but i agree the top few teams can ball

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yea it’s been a process. There were a few OOS speed bumps on the way, but it seems to be paying off now. The talent and funding have always been here. The coaching and organization have finally caught up. 2018 should be a good one. 

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

MD/DC, NJ, AZ, HI all have something in common 

All have a few solid teams at the top but will never be top 3 simply because of depth but i agree the top few teams can ball

I completely agree. You also have to understand that the MD/DC Top 5 are located within a 35 mile radius. You can’t compare them to the state of Texas or California. The northeast of the US compares via metropolitan areas. So if I’m talking to a guy from Boston or NYC, and I’m representing DC, I understand that we aren’t talking about Massachusetts or New York. To me, Don Bosco Prep is associated with NYC, St. Joseph’s Prep is associated with Philly, DeMatha is associated with DC, etc...It’s a regional situation because we have massive cities and extremely small states. 

To be honest, NJ/BNU or MD/DC should be compared to DFW, South Florida or Greater Los Angeles. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 7:17 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

It’s not too early to rank these teams. I’ll give a Top 5, key games, and the top 6 returners with *’s and offers for each team. A few of these squads go 25+ deep with P5 offered kids so I cut it off at the top 6 returners because ADHD. 

1. St. Frances Academy (MIAA-Baltimore)- Better than last year. Added a few very solid transfers. 

Key games-

DeMatha and then who knows. They haven’t released much. Last year’s schedule was weak so hopefully they did a bit more research for 2018. You can’t keep selling yourself to these recruits by saying your biggest OOS game is Bishop Sullivan(no offense).

Top 6 returners-

2. St. John’s College High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- Again, will be better this season. The last QB Doyle(Arizona) was a massive reason for the success of 2017, but if the Hawaii transfer can get the ball in the right spots, SJC will be in the MNC discussion. They’ll have back ups with SEC offers. 

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

3. DeMatha Catholic High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- Last year was a huge let down. The offense couldn’t score. They will feature a new OC and DC. Transfers are still enrolling. They have the talent to win the WCAC, but offensive production is a massive concern. 

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

4.) Gonzaga College High School(WCAC-Washington DC)- 10 years ago, this Gonzaga team would be the top team in the area. Not so much in 2018 with the arms race between the top private schools. They will feature the best QB in the WCAC. I feel like half of their team will end up playing at a FCS, Ivy, or service academy. This team will push SJC and DM for the WCAC title. Best coaching in the league.

Key games-

Top 6 returners- 

5. Our Lady of Good Counsel High School(WCAC-Washington DC)-Very similar to Gonzaga, but with a under recruited running threat at QB. The OL is massive(6’4 310 average) and the RB is a workhorse. This team is about as disciplined as it gets. We’ll see what they are about in game 1 vs Marietta. 

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

Outstanding local report!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

Key games-

Top 6 returners- 

Key games-

Top 6 returners-

Am I correct:  both Greg Penn III and Cosiah Izzard have transferred into DeMatha?  From McDonogh and Palloti respectively.  Two gifted players, among the best in Maryland.

Any other significant transfers?

Do you think the sophomore qb could start?

7 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Am I correct:  both Greg Penn III and Cosiah Izzard have transferred into DeMatha?  From McDonogh and Palloti respectively.  Two gifted players, among the best in Maryland.

Any other significant transfers?

Do you think the sophomore qb could start?

Yes, Penn and Izzard transferred in to DeMatha. There are other transfers, but I didn’t want to jump the gun. I’ll share once it’s official. 

The QB position is up for grabs. There are 3-4 players battling it out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Yes, Penn and Izzard transferred in to DeMatha. There are other transfers, but I didn’t want to jump the gun. I’ll share once it’s official. 

The QB position is up for grabs. There are 3-4 players battling it out. 

Two rising sophomores at DM that you should look out for are RB Sieh Bangura and DE/OLB Colin Mobley. Both will probably blow up after this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

A bunch of chatter on the local MD/DC board about a few MIAA teams forfeiting against SFA for 2018. Mt. St. Joe’s and Calvert Hall are confirmed as forfeits. More to come...

I think it is a play to force SFA to be independent and leave the MIAA.  Do you think SFA can sustain as an independent team with no home conference?   This would entail a lot of traveling of a very large team.  Way different moving a football team vs a Basketball team.  Even in the Baltimore area if I am correct SFA doesn't have their own Home Field.

53 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

PGL is working overtime to fill those games. #crisismanagers

Don't you ever get tired of this silliness?

It's a throwaway line that I've seen twice now, and the first one turned out to be false.

Is there a single soul out there who's still buying your charade?

18 minutes ago, amitchell47 said:

Do you think SFA can sustain as an independent team with no home conference? 

They could probably put together a schedule, but it would be hard to assemble something that would be financially feasible while justifying the kind of recruiting they do. What's the point in bringing in talent from all over the place in order to play a schedule of Canadian programs, DC charter schools, juvenile offender facilities, and Bishop Sullivan?

They have successful basketball programs to worry about as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

A bunch of chatter on the local MD/DC board about a few MIAA teams forfeiting against SFA for 2018. Mt. St. Joe’s and Calvert Hall are confirmed as forfeits. More to come...

Wow. 

Still shocking this hasn’t happened in Nevada with Bishop Gorman. 

9 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Thank you! 

Wow according to one of the posts SFA only has three games set for the 2018 season. 

Yea it looks like the entire MIAA-A may forfeit against SFA. I know the four catholic schools have given notice. Gilman and McDonogh are still waiting. I’m going to give it time before I decide who is at fault here. Both sides have an argument. Forfeiting seems a bit over dramatic at first glance...

Are you watching the Stanley Cup? As a Caps fan, this is borderline bad for my heart health. LV does look like they have an awesome venue.

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Hate it for the kids Nic, @NicholasMalibu

Yea it’s terrible for the players. This is an issue between coaches and admins. Supposedly the league office has evidence of broken rules over the past two years and has done nothing. The teams forfeiting feel this is the only option. They want SFA in the league, but needed to make a statement. In my opinion the idiots in charge should of figured something out months ago. This is insane.

• Like 2