2018 MD/DC Top 5

NicholasMalibu

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

What's the race angle? L-B and CH don't want to play SFA because they have so many black players?? Please educate us. Thx. 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/this-200-year-old-black-catholic-school-is-a-gem-in-baltimores-inner-city-58590

In 1828, a Haitian refugee named Elizabeth Lange began teaching children of African descent, both slave and free, out of her home in Baltimore – a slave state with a large free African-American population.

St. Frances Academy has persisted as the nation’s oldest African-American Catholic educational institution. In addition, the school is the oldest continually operating black educational facility in the United States, predating the founding of  Cheyney University of Pennsylvania – the nation’s oldest Historically Black College – by nearly a decade.

Rare case where building a powerhouse football program increased the proportion of white kids in the school...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

What's the race angle? L-B and CH don't want to play SFA because they have so many black players?? Please educate us. Thx. 

To go along with what MA Fan said, SFA has been 100% minority students and almost 100% minority administration and staff since 1828. They actually do have less than 100% minority students because they've brought in white OL, QB and K/P in the last couple years to bolster their football program.

The feeling from a lot of the inner-city Baltimore people is that Poggi was essentially doing the same thing at Gilman and it wasn't a big deal but "they" are out to get SFA because it is a black school from the ghetto getting "uppity." Read some of the posts on the linked Sun thread. Two or three posters throwing around terms like "white fragility" and insisting this is all a vast conspiracy to keep the black folk down. The principal of SFA and even the Raven's beat writer for the Baltimore Sun (Mike Preston) have made statements/written articles essentially saying that all of this is only happening because SFA is black institution.

Never mind that Poggi never had anywhere near as many recruited football players or brought in upperclass transfers or raided other MIAA schools for talent when he was at Gilman and there were still plenty of people complaining. One of his best Gilman players who reached the NFL (Darius Jennings) had been at the school since elementary school. Another great player was a legacy and the son of the governor. These kids obviously weren't recruited in elementary school.

Here's the Mike Preston article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-sp-preston-st-frances-0531-story.html

Mike Preston doesn't cover HS sports and only reached out to those on the SFA side so I consider that article piss poor journalism on his part.  

And here's the full statement from the SFA principal:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160421922345440&id=203531405439

For full effect, this should be read while playing "we shall overcome" at full volume. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I communicated w with Coach Russell today. I hooked him up with Doral Academy and DFB, among others. They'll get through this with the help of PGL. 

Nothing like turning a thread about MD/DC top 5 into a shameless and tone deaf plug for your crappy 'services'

21 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Calvert Hall, who was the first MIAA A Conference school to hire a black coach, has decided not to let Saint Frances play the race card unchecked.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-miaa-calvert-hall-reaction-0602-story.html

Yeah that was a smart move by St. Frances.  The race card always goes over well.

I’m sure the other schools will definitely genuflect now and beg St. Frances to deign to play them again...

12 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Calvert Hall, who was the first MIAA A Conference school to hire a black coach, has decided not to let Saint Frances play the race card unchecked.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-miaa-calvert-hall-reaction-0602-story.html

Ah, yes.

A bastardized version of the black friend trope.

That'll do it.

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

CH lax runs it up in whenever they can: Beat Reynolds 14-2, Arch Spalding 16-3 and John Carroll 18-6 this season. I hope those three abstain from playing CH in the future. #sissies 

Calvert Hall didn't recruit kids from across the country and internationally to get those scores.

Calvert Hall's coach isn't spending millions of his own money to recruit and house players.

Calvert Hall barely recruits for lacrosse period. Their best players for years have been legacies paying full tuition.

How can you not see the difference between that and what SFA does?

I know you like Russell and Poggi, but they're hated for a reason in the Baltimore football community. They're arrogant jerks who will stop at nothing to embarrass the rest of the MIAA. If the rest of the league doesn't make a statement now, 30 transfers will become 60 and they'll continue to pull kids and win every game with a running clock.

1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

Calvert Hall didn't recruit kids from across the country and internationally to get those scores.

Calvert Hall's coach isn't spending millions of his own money to recruit and house players.

Calvert Hall barely recruits for lacrosse period. Their best players for years have been legacies paying full tuition.

How can you not see the difference between that and what SFA does?

Yeah, Calvert Hall serves elite (mostly) white families in greater Baltimore.

St. Frances doesn't.

One is celebrated.

The other is vilified.

Wonder why?

On 5/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, Goldmember said:

I'm sure you could mine all 15 national polls that have ever existed and find one single instance of Gilman being #8 or #9 but they've never been in the compilation top 10 nor have they ever been considered a top 10 team by consensus at any point in any season.

Yes, facts are definitely news to you.

Not going to war with you, but I would like to comment on Gilman. Back in the Rival days we knew who Gilman was and they were in many conversations. Not sure they were top 10 at the end of the year in any national poll, but they bounced in and out of the top 25 a few times... You do remember the Rival days right? You can jump on Nick anytime you want, but a word of advice to you... Most of us liked that he took the time to post HSF news from the DC/MD/NYC area. It's time to start lining up the ducks for the season and Nick gave us a primer. So FUCKING what if he said Gilman was top 10 at some point in the history of time. Even if it was for only one week in a shit poll, it's wasn't a lie to him, the lie was only to someone that wanted to pick a fight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Not going to war with you, but I would like to comment on Gilman. Back in the Rival days we knew who Gilman was and they were in many conversations. Not sure they were top 10 at the end of the year in any national poll, but they bounced in and out of the top 25 a few times... You do remember the Rival days right? 

This is a lock of nonsense to read through in order to realize that your point is irrelevant.

NickMalibu claimed that Gilman was once a top 10 team.

So being "in the conversation" or "bouncing around the top 25" is meaningless in that context.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, Goldmember said:

With the exception of it, you know, not being true?

Yeah, I demand that people tell the truth when they talk about teams.

I know. Terrible right?

It's fine...you don't have to lose your shit over it every time, though. That part is kinda funny. 

On the flip side, it's nice that the low number of UE claims has freed up enough time for you to post again. xD