Recap Of Colquitt's Final Spring Scrimmage

Rufus69

Here are the FACTS:

1.  It was better than the one last week.  1's against 1's and 2's against 2's.  Definitely some GATA last night.

2.  It was semi-wet.  Not the horror some people originally thought...but it did slow the offenses a tad.

3.  The Blackhats (Colquitt's No.1 defense) are gonna be badass this year.  We got some guys who are just OFFENDED about everything.

4.  Our QB and WR position athletes have a ways to go.  Colquitt runs a "power spread".  We hafta be able to throw the ball to balance the offense.  Perhaps the summer 7 on 7 tourneys will help get us there.

5.  Our kicking game should be fine.  Some of us were a bit worried about the "tripod" but it appears that is well under control.

Here is the PROGNOSIS:

Colquitt has some work to do on the offensive  side of the ball...BUT...the goal is obtainable by Region time.  It would be great to beat our non-Region foes...but it's ALL about the Playoffs and getting the best seeding we can get.  Our running game should be OK but the Hawgs need balance.  I'm thinking a 60/40 breakdown leaning towards the run.  If our passing attack progresses...we could adjust that to at 55/45 split.  All in all....we could win a few games this year.  But it ain't even Memorial Day and things can change overnight.  

Everybody stay safe this weekend...and DO NOT DRINK and DRIVE !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 2

Rufus, I was going to do a write-up last night, but, I figured to wait on you. I'm glad I did. 

I like where we are at. We are extremely talented on defense. Jay Ward and his 17 offers is getting a lot of the attention right now, but, we are really good in most positions. Even with Brian Merritt in a boot, the D-line looks pretty nasty and that 33/3/5/3 stack hybrid is definitely going to be awesome this season. Mo Dixon was right when he told me that we ain't seen nothing yet. 

I guess it's a little difficult to judge the QB's fairly when Harden was going against THAT defense. and McDonald was going against NOT THAT defense. I was really impressed with Marvion though, while it's obvious that Jaycee still needs work. I hoped he would look a tad more polished at this point, but, hey, that's what the 7on season is for. 

Did you get a load of our 2nd string center? I came away really impressed with him and the O-line as a whole considering what they were playing against. That young Thomas Barry kid shows that we have some depth at the C position. By next season he may be a monster. Just a tad undersized for the position right now, but damn if he didn't make up for it with technique. Impressive line play last night from both ones and twos. 

We have some talent at WR, but, everything just looks a tad out of synch still, so it's a little tough to get a really good read on speed at the position. 

Hey, it's spring. I feel pretty good after seeing what we look like. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Rufus, I was going to do a write-up last night, but, I figured to wait on you. I'm glad I did. 

I like where we are at. We are extremely talented on defense. Jay Ward and his 17 offers is getting a lot of the attention right now, but, we are really good in most positions. Even with Brian Merritt in a boot, the D-line looks pretty nasty and that 33/3/5/3 stack hybrid is definitely going to be awesome this season. Mo Dixon was right when he told me that we ain't seen nothing yet. 

I guess it's a little difficult to judge the QB's fairly when Harden was going against THAT defense. and McDonald was going against NOT THAT defense. I was really impressed with Marvion though, while it's obvious that Jaycee still needs work. I hoped he would look a tad more polished at this point, but, hey, that's what the 7on season is for. 

Did you get a load of our 2nd string center? I came away really impressed with him and the O-line as a whole considering what they were playing against. That young Thomas Barry kid shows that we have some depth at the C position. By next season he may be a monster. Just a tad undersized for the position right now, but damn if he didn't make up for it with technique. Impressive line play last night from both ones and twos. 

We have some talent at WR, but, everything just looks a tad out of synch still, so it's a little tough to get a really good read on speed at the position. 

Hey, it's spring. I feel pretty good after seeing what we look like. 

Hawg....you know I don't go overboard with praise for the Packers this early on...but I do think we're further along than we were last year.  We could have us a little QB battle if we're not careful.  Marvion has some skills.  Now with that being said...I fully expect Jaycee to continue his progress to where its his team.  Rush has pretty much said the starting job was his to LOSE.  And your point about Jaycee facing the 1's and Marvion facing the 2's is totally accurate.  BUT...if it was me...and...IT AIN'T....I'd like to see Mac running with the 1's just to see what he can do.

Everything being said...we need polish.  I think we'll get that over the summer.  Oh...and we definitely NEED Merritt.  I'm holding YOU personally responsible for his rehab....(Smile).  I just think we're gonna be OK.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

I thought the Offense looked a lot better last night. The 1’s on OL showed a lot and we were able to establish the run. QB1 started strong the 1’s in the defensive backfield were effective on stifling the pass game. I agree it’s still a work in progress but if it comes together like I think it will it’s going to be fun to watch. My only wish is that the TE get utilized more.. but overall it was a great scrimmage. The kids are definitely pumped and are playing with an attitude. I think the defense will be out for blood this year.

57E7255E-3028-4A4C-80BC-6049A7791942.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rufus69 said:

Hawg....you know I don't go overboard with praise for the Packers this early on...but I do think we're further along than we were last year.  We could have us a little QB battle if we're not careful.  Marvion has some skills.  Now with that being said...I fully expect Jaycee to continue his progress to where its his team.  Rush has pretty much said the starting job was his to LOSE.  And your point about Jaycee facing the 1's and Marvion facing the 2's is totally accurate.  BUT...if it was me...and...IT AIN'T....I'd like to see Mac running with the 1's just to see what he can do.

Everything being said...we need polish.  I think we'll get that over the summer.  Oh...and we definitely NEED Merritt.  I'm holding YOU personally responsible for his rehab....(Smile).  I just think we're gonna be OK.

Rufus>>

No doubt about it, I would have loved to see Marvion against the ones last night for a few series. I know the coaches know what's up though, so, like you, I don't really see anyone but Jaycee starting. Perhaps we will see some special packages where Marvion is in there for the wheels, and/or various other complications for opposition defenses. 

JC looked good but did try to force a couple passes that were not there. Marvion did well and even with the long ball but it was against the 2’s on D and floated a couple for completions that would have been picked against the 1’s. Overall I thought it was a great showing in wet conditions

• Like 1

I brought ponchos and umbrellas. I knew if I did, the rain would get out of there before we had to get in the stands. Had I been stupid and not brought the gear, the rain would have stayed all night. No need to thank me though. xD

I DID NOT win anything in the raffle... AGAIN. That signed helmet would have been pretty alright with me,  but the companion grill was what I had my hopes on. I could be tailgating with that for years to come! >:(

Better luck next year I guess. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I brought ponchos and umbrellas. I knew if I did, the rain would get out of there before we had to get in the stands. Had I been stupid and not brought the gear, the rain would have stayed all night. No need to thank me though. xD

I DID NOT win anything in the raffle... AGAIN. That signed helmet would have been pretty alright with me,  but the companion grill was what I had my hopes on. I could be tailgating with that for years to come! >:(

Better luck next year I guess. 

@HawgGoneIt I brought my rain jacket too and thankfully didn’t need it. I did let my ex sit on it though because of the wet stands..... see I can be gentleman 😇

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I thought the Offense looked a lot better last night. The 1’s on OL showed a lot and we were able to establish the run. QB1 started strong the 1’s in the defensive backfield were effective on stifling the 

57E7255E-3028-4A4C-80BC-6049A7791942.jpeg

Looks like a sell out ,,, u guys did say u guys take ur football very serious.... looks like the community came out in full force...

All 47 of them

2 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Looks like a sell out ,,, u guys did say u guys take ur football very serious.... looks like the community came out in full force...

All 47 of them

@LiberalDonaldTrump this was pre-game after the rain quit we had a decent showing considering it’s a spring and the weather. A lot more showed up than what is shown in the pic. I actually took the pic just for you so you could see where real football is played 🤘🏻

• Haha 1

On Friday night, of the Memorial Day Weekend when many are traveling etc., these are the die-hards. Real Packer fans. They could be doing a lot of other things, but, here they sit, in wet stands, looking at the product that their support has helped create. 

I know y'all be jealous and all, so this little video was just for the haters and jealous types. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

What in the actual heck am I looking at Hawgie?

Mildew on the bleachers or what?

Hahahaha.

Yeah, we need to run through there with a pressure washer before real season gets here. 

We've all been busy since football season ended so nobody has volunteered to run up there and handle the light stuff. xD

• Haha 2