RIP 49er great Dwight Clark

Horsefly

42 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Dude ripped my heart out with the Catch over Everson Walls back in the Day.   A great Players.  Sir have you seen the correlation of how this is a disease that Many Football players and Military guys get in proportion to the total population.  Some think it might be contributed to excessive training.  RIP.

22 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Dude ripped my heart out with the Catch over Everson Walls back in the Day.   A great Players.  Sir have you seen the correlation of how this is a disease that Many Football players and Military guys get in proportion to the total population.  Some think it might be contributed to excessive training.  RIP.

Yeah, that catch ripped my heart out too.  I was a serious cowboy fan back in the day. 

No, I haven’t seen the report on the disease and athletes/military.  Not a good trend for sure!

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

We are twice as Likely to develop ALS than anyone.  And no one knows why.  But it seems in some reports I read that the more rugged the training the higher risk of getting it.  Like Football players get it in higher numbers than any other Sportsmen. 

Being a Marine and the rugged Training and being a Former Drill Instructor.  I heard about it. Check this out.  I try to stay up on a lot of topics sir.  Actually I have been on alert.  Any time I trip or foot dragging I am like WTF.   Read this sir.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/11/health/als-and-military-veterans/index.html

There's something about military life that is putting our nation's vets in harm's way, and it's not the usual suspects.

It's not a military action or terrorist threat, but a horrifying disease that weakens muscles to the point of paralysis, ultimately trapping people inside their bodies, completely aware, yet unable to move or even breathe without help.
It's Lou Gehrig's disease, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, and studies show that if you've served in the military -- any branch, any war, or even if you served in a time of peace -- you have a much higher risk of dying from it than if you were not in the military. And no one seems to know why.

http://www.alsa.org/als-care/veterans/military-white-paper.html

ALS in the Military White Paper

Existing evidence supports the conclusion that people who have served in the military are at a greater risk of developing ALS and dying from the disease than those with no history of military service. As outlined in this paper, study after study continues to demonstrate this to be true: If you serve in the military, regardless of the branch of service, regardless of whether you served in the Persian Gulf War, Vietnam, Korea, or World War II, and regardless of whether you served during a time of peace or a time of war, you are at a greater risk of dying from ALS than if you had not served in the military. The questions we are asking today are these: Why is there a greater risk of ALS with military service? And what are we, as a nation, going to do about it?

It is the goal of The ALS Association that this paper raise awareness of the important work that so far has been done on the relationship between ALS and military service. In this effort, we hope to impress upon the Congress, the Administration and the American public the seriousness of this issue and the need to act now.

2 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

http://www.alsa.org/als-care/veterans/military-white-paper.html

ALS in the Military White Paper

Existing evidence supports the conclusion that people who have served in the military are at a greater risk of developing ALS and dying from the disease than those with no history of military service. As outlined in this paper, study after study continues to demonstrate this to be true: If you serve in the military, regardless of the branch of service, regardless of whether you served in the Persian Gulf War, Vietnam, Korea, or World War II, and regardless of whether you served during a time of peace or a time of war, you are at a greater risk of dying from ALS than if you had not served in the military. The questions we are asking today are these: Why is there a greater risk of ALS with military service? And what are we, as a nation, going to do about it?

It is the goal of The ALS Association that this paper raise awareness of the important work that so far has been done on the relationship between ALS and military service. In this effort, we hope to impress upon the Congress, the Administration and the American public the seriousness of this issue and the need to act now.

That is strange.  They have no idea what the cause could be?  It doesn't matter what you did in the military?  I drank and chased women- That could be a common factor among the services.  

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

That is strange.  They have no idea what the cause could be?  It doesn't matter what you did in the military?  I drank and chased women- That could be a common factor among the services.  

LOL.  If that was the root cause hell 80% of us would have it believe me I have chased them from Kitzingen, Germany to Pattaya Beach, Thailand and all points in between and succeeded way too many times :D.  I read a report once that they think the more strenuous training could have been something that Trigger's it.  So being  a Former Hat and all the goes into that.  Hell I been to Boot Camp 7 times. As a Recruit, DI School  and 5 Cycles as a Drill Instructor.  Believe me 18-19 hrs a day for 2 years will wear your Ass out.   And of course I am bias but that is the Most intense Recruit Training the U.S. Armed Forces. 

It is scary that it attacks us Military people.  What's worse is no one knows why. I have read the stories that's why any time I drop something or drag my foot>  I am like WTF.  ¬¬

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I had this conversation just last week with some friends about the vast # of veterans at the VA and ONE common factor we have are all the mandatory vaccinations and shots. We really don’t know the side affects nor truthfully what we were being given. That’s the first place I’d start. 

Just now, DevilDog said:

LOL.  If that was the root cause hell 80% of us would have it believe me I have chase them Kitzingen, Germany to Pattaya Beach, Thailand and all points in between.  I read a report once that they think the more strenuous training could have been something that Trigger's it.  So being  a Former Hat and all the goes into that.  Hell I been to Boot Camp 7 times. As a Recruit, DI School  and 5 Cycles as a Drill Instructor.  Believe me 18-19 hrs a day for 2 years will wear your Ass out.   And of course I am bias but that is the Most intense Recruit Training the U.S. Armed Forces. 

It is scary that it attacks us Military people.  What's worse is no one knows why. I have read the stories that's why any time I drop something or drag my foot>  I am like WTF.  ¬¬

I've always dropped shit (unless it was a football) and tripped so that is not a good parameter for me.  The AF wasn't real big on the training you warriors did on a daily basis and yet they are not excluded from getting this.  

Its a bad thing science isn't a top priority now and that money will be in short supply in order to study these things.  😕 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I had this conversation just last week with some friends about the vast # of veterans at the VA and ONE common factor we have are all the mandatory vaccinations and shots. We really don’t know the side affects nor truthfully what we were being given. That’s the first place I’d start. 

That is an excellent thought.  Look at the smarts on Horsefly.  Hadnt thought of that.  We did get a lot of shots.  

RIP, one of my all time favorites. I was lucky enough to be at the Stick for the Catch, best sports event I ever saw in person. 

Of course Lawrence Pillers really saved the game when he stripped Danny White as the Cowboys were driving for the go ahead FG.

And people can say whatever about Eddie DeBartalo, but the guy is a stand up person, how he treated Clark through this horrible experience and their entire friendship was outstanding.

7E76C6CC-5075-42FC-9BDF-4BBF1A11C296.jpeg

294633FD-0C7F-4C43-8DD3-735EB7120E53.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

And people can say whatever about Eddie DeBartalo, but the guy is a stand up person, how he treated Clark through this horrible experience and their entire friendship was outstanding.

I heard the retreat they did for him recently was pretty darn awesome.

Eddie D is a stand up guy who will always be a 9er.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cossacks said:

RIP, one of my all time favorites. I was lucky enough to be at the Stick for the Catch, best sports event I ever saw in person. 

Of course Lawrence Pillers really saved the game when he stripped Danny White as the Cowboys were driving for the go ahead FG.

7E76C6CC-5075-42FC-9BDF-4BBF1A11C296.jpeg

294633FD-0C7F-4C43-8DD3-735EB7120E53.gif

Diehard Cowboy and I was in Augusta Ga watching this game at an Army Fort.  Even after The Catch I thought My Boys would still win it and I disagree Pillers won it but the game was saved when Eric Wright Got a Finger tip on Drew Pearson's Jersey or he would have scored on like a 70yd strike across the middle. People forget that play.   If the Horse Collar would have been in effect much different story too.    Great game and he will forever be remembered for that Catch over Fellow Texan Everson Walls..

Go to the 30 sec Mark.   \

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/George-Seifert-Bill-Walsh-had-forbidden-Eric-6794221.php

Better video here 1st min of video

Oh I totally remember Wright making that tackle. Big play, but causing the TO was bigger IMO.

Cowboys score and there was time left (ask Matt Logan and CC about scoring to quick and leaving too much time). There was a guy named Montana who was known to lead a decent comeback in big games if the Boys would have scored 😉

9 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Oh I totally remember Wright making that tackle. Big play, but causing the TO was bigger IMO.

Cowboys score and there was time left (ask Matt Logan and CC about scoring to quick and leaving too much time). There was a guy named Montana who was known to lead a decent comeback in big games if the Boys would have scored 😉

There was only like 38 secs when Drew was Tackled.  Would not have been a lot of time if he scored.    Great game that ripped my heart out. Still don't like the 49ers to this day but much respect to the Franchise and we put a whopping on them in the early 90's made it all the more sweeter.  The Cowboys and Niners have won like 1/5th of all Superbowl's and played in 14 Combined going 10 - 4 as well.  And the 4 losses combined total 14 pts.

Remember this old Sega Game

Image result for COWBOYS VS  NINERS SEGA 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 7:22 AM, Drummer61 said:

Yes he was, but did Joe attempt to throw the ball away or was the  play and  pass a planned play.??

“Planned” play all the way....according to Joe. He said that was a their “go to” route if that situation were to ever occur (in any game). He said they practiced it.  Throw it to a spot and let 6-4 DC go up and get it. 6-4 was huge for a receiver back then. WRs and DBs were like 5-11 in general. That said iiiiiiii’m not so sure about that🤔🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1