COLQUITT FINALLY GETS A PRE-SEASON SCRIMMAGE

94Packer

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm a definite yes to Saturday at the Benz. 

I thought you were talking about regular season tickets for Colquitt or whatever. 

Any Saturday ticket is good for all day at the Benz 

Either way... I got you.

Could you be so kind as to swing by and pick me up at Chateau Rab? And bring a wheelchair!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've been out there around the Magnolia Sports Complex diamonds. It's always been the same. A bunch of dads coaching and wanting to win a cheap trophy so bad that they hate having to let some of the less talented kids learn the game. 

Then we get to the varsity level and wonder why in the hell we can't win consistently, when all the way up since rec league, we have pushed out kids, and created an exclusive club of kids hand picked by their very own dads or dad's best friends etc. 

All the while some kids that don't have the "pedigree" could have been developed into monsters of the diamond. Instead they're outsiders since rec ball and treat the varsity "club" the same way they've always been treated by them... Like lepers. 

The only decent league at the Magnolia complex is the fall ball league. Kids actually get some instruction there and there is no cheap ass trophy at the end so the coaches aren't foaming at the mouth. That league doesn't last long enough imo. I guess maybe it's not as popular because the dad's don't have a piece of golden plastic with a crooked brass plate engraved with Champion on it. xD

Y'all know the trophy...

20180710_202609.thumb.jpg.141103403b72b659110a6868a41ab09c.jpg

xD

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've been out there around the Magnolia Sports Complex diamonds. It's always been the same. A bunch of dads coaching and wanting to win a cheap trophy so bad that they hate having to let some of the less talented kids learn the game. 

Then we get to the varsity level and wonder why in the hell we can't win consistently, when all the way up since rec league, we have pushed out kids, and created an exclusive club of kids hand picked by their very own dads or dad's best friends etc. 

All the while some kids that don't have the "pedigree" could have been developed into monsters of the diamond. Instead they're outsiders since rec ball and treat the varsity "club" the same way they've always been treated by them... Like lepers. 

The only decent league at the Magnolia complex is the fall ball league. Kids actually get some instruction there and there is no cheap ass trophy at the end so the coaches aren't foaming at the mouth. That league doesn't last long enough imo. I guess maybe it's not as popular because the dad's don't have a piece of golden plastic with a crooked brass plate engraved with Champion on it. xD

I wonder how our all star catcher is going to fare, if he doesn't play for a second year at GCSU? He's probably third on the depth chart! But they have DI transfers sitting as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The problem with it is, there aren't many real coaches. It's just dads that are going to coach for a couple of years until their kid outgrows it. It's a buddy buddy good ol' boy popularity contest that runs right up through to the varsity stuff. Talent is squandered in the rec leagues by poor coaching and failure to make kids that need development welcome. 

If the kid isn't already a baseball wizard that plays on expensive and exclusive travel ball teams, he's gonna ride the pine and not give a shit about the game. 

Simple simon stuff. 

I think maybe we agree. Possibly for different reasons but idk. 

That’s the reason we don’t do baseball at my house anymore. It’s a really expensive venture. You better have a pitching coach lined up when they come out of the womb or extremely deep pockets to play ball growing up here now. It was nothing like this when I came up. You played t-ball, farm league,, little league then pony league. The best from pony league made 8th grade team and so on all the way up. I played through my Jr year. It’s worlds different  now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 94Packer said:

That’s the reason we don’t do baseball at my house anymore. It’s a really expensive venture. You better have a pitching coach lined up when they come out of the womb or extremely deep pockets to play ball growing up here now. It was nothing like this when I came up. You played t-ball, farm league,, little league then pony league. The best from pony league made 8th grade team and so on all the way up. I played through my Jr year. It’s worlds different  now. 

I was halfway trolling with some of my posts after the one you quoted, but yes, exactly. Some of the most talented kids are left behind or out or however you want to say it. What eventually happens is you get the kids that may be less talented but had more training and practice early in their baseball careers advancing while kids that may well have a much higher ceiling are pushed out. 

I've been watching it happen for years. I don't even go out there anymore. It's pretty sad really. If the folks that have kids playing right now, stepped back and watched without having kids involved they'd see it in a whole different light I think. 

Idk how you solve it at this point, but, I do know that it's not because we don't have the athletes in this town/county. We have them. We just rather play popularity contests and what is right for "our" kid in the early development stages than do what is right for the baseball program in this county I think. 

29 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I would hope for a real coach. 

WELL, MAYBE I can conjure one up! The last time I talk with him, he was languishing in the hills of Nawth East Jawja! He DOES have baggage though, kinda like YOU know WHO! You hafta ask yourownself! SELF, do I want a church mouse, or a CHAMPIONSHIP? 

PS

I just did a lil digging, and rumor has it, he is languishing in tween employment, with his spouse on St. Simons! How good is he you ask? And I reply, FOUR big school titles!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I was halfway trolling with some of my posts after the one you quoted, but yes, exactly. Some of the most talented kids are left behind or out or however you want to say it. What eventually happens is you get the kids that may be less talented but had more training and practice early in their baseball careers advancing while kids that may well have a much higher ceiling are pushed out. 

I've been watching it happen for years. I don't even go out there anymore. It's pretty sad really. If the folks that have kids playing right now, stepped back and watched without having kids involved they'd see it in a whole different light I think. 

Idk how you solve it at this point, but, I do know that it's not because we don't have the athletes in this town/county. We have them. We just rather play popularity contests and what is right for "our" kid in the early development stages than do what is right for the baseball program in this county I think. 

The biggest factor holding back the high school baseball program is the lack of quality instruction coming up.

A few dad's who played little league ball, are not going to develop the talent to a level to compete at the highest level.

There is a lot of raw talent here, but only a few can afford professional instruction. Those kids spend much of their time playing on elite travel teams growing up. When high school ball rolls around, we just don't have a large enough number of those kids to compete with the recruited up teams around the state and country.

In our best years, we just overwhelmed people with talent. We've never had outcoached anyone on the diamond.

Everything you stated is true as well. Politics are a huge part when it comes to who starts on varsity. I've witnessed the better players ride the pine because the other kid has the right last name.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

The biggest factor holding back the high school baseball program is the lack of quality instruction coming up.

A few dad's who played little league ball, are not going to develop the talent to a level to compete at the highest level.

There is a lot of raw talent here, but only a few can afford professional instruction. Those kids spend much of their time playing on elite travel teams growing up. When high school ball rolls around, we just don't have a large enough number of those kids to compete with the recruited up teams around the state and country.

In our best years, we just overwhelmed people with talent. We've never had outcoached anyone on the diamond.

Everything you stated is true as well. Politics are a huge part when it comes to who starts on varsity. I've witnessed the better players ride the pine because the other kid has the right last name.

THANKFULLY, that AIN'T the case at MACK THARPE!

As an aside, I WONDER how much of a motivator, the football nutrition program is at Colquitt? I could see kids wanting to play, just so they could dine like KINGS!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

THANKFULLY, that AIN'T the case at MACK THARPE!

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

Agreed! Thanks to Rush he reversed that mentality.

Which is exactly what we need to do in the other sports like baseball.

Rush has proved that it doesn't take a lot of transferring etc. to compete. He has shown us how to organize and develop and to the chagrin of some, you earn your spot by showing up, hard work and competing. Not by who your dad is or whatever other stuff we have seen through the years and in other programs. 

4 hours ago, 94Packer said:

Colquitt Will have a new basketball coach next year. Harden is leaving the coaching ranks to be a principal

I got one on St. Simon's Island, IF you're man enough to take the heat! He is ProPstesque in his baggage! But four big boy titles cures a lotta ills!

9 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Which is exactly what we need to do in the other sports like baseball.

Rush has proved that it doesn't take a lot of transferring etc. to compete. He has shown us how to organize and develop and to the chagrin of some, you earn your spot by showing up, hard work and competing. Not by who your dad is or whatever other stuff we have seen through the years and in other programs. 

Hawg....personally...I think you (and all the other gurus) are missing a critical point in your comparison to the football versus the other sports programs at Colquitt.  That element is MONEY.  Wanna have some fun?

Tell Rush he has to work with the baseball budget...or...the basketball budget...or any of the budgets of any of the other sports programs.  You're not comparing apples and apples.  CCBLACKHATTER knows the annual budget for the Packer Touchdown Club.  Put a "third" of the PTC budget into the other programs...and you'll see a major difference.

I'm not saying I'm right...but it might be suggested that some of those kids with last names get to play because Dad and Mom pump in some SERIOUS jack to their particular sport.  It's the Republican way.  And that's the major source of that sport's revenue.  Which is why me and Doc have always supported the One Act Play Club.  But for now...and the extended time being...

Football in king in Colquitt County.

And it's GOOD to be King......

Rufus>>

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Hawg....personally...I think you (and all the other gurus) are missing a critical point in your comparison to the football versus the other sports programs at Colquitt.  That element is MONEY.  Wanna have some fun?

Tell Rush he has to work with the baseball budget...or...the basketball budget...or any of the budgets of any of the other sports programs.  You're not comparing apples and apples.  CCBLACKHATTER knows the annual budget for the Packer Touchdown Club.  Put a "third" of the PTC budget into the other programs...and you'll see a major difference.

I'm not saying I'm right...but it might be suggested that some of those kids with last names get to play because Dad and Mom pump in some SERIOUS jack to their particular sport.  It's the Republican way.  And that's the major source of that sport's revenue.  Which is why me and Doc have always supported the One Act Play Club.  But for now...and the extended time being...

Football in king in Colquitt County.

And it's GOOD to be King......

Rufus>>

Oh no doubt about that. 

I'm just saying that a fundamental change early on in the process could make it much better.

Personally, idc if the baseball program is ever good again. Just giving my opine on why it's where it is. If the ones involved wanna make it better, they're gonna hafta open the doors. Organize better. Etc. 

Stay exclusive. Stay in the current shape. It is what it is. I accept that and don't really care. I just get tired of hearing the fans of the other sports complain that football gets all the support, when those other sports try to be exclusive clubs. Your support gets limited to the group that you limited yourself to. Then those few guys bitch and moan that they are having to pay for everything. xD

I say, enjoy your exclusive club of mediocrity. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Oh no doubt about that. 

I'm just saying that a fundamental change early on in the process could make it much better.

Personally, idc if the baseball program is ever good again. Just giving my opine on why it's where it is. If the ones involved wanna make it better, they're gonna hafta open the doors. Organize better. Etc. 

Stay exclusive. Stay in the current shape. It is what it is. I accept that and don't really care. I just get tired of hearing the fans of the other sports complain that football gets all the support, when those other sports try to be exclusive clubs. Your support gets limited to the group that you limited yourself to. Then those few guys bitch and moan that they are having to pay for everything. xD

I say, enjoy your exclusive club of mediocrity. 

Fundamental changes don't come very easily.   The powers that be in Colquitt enjoy the status quo.  Seldom do decisions reflect major variances to the SOP.  I will say...the change in the Principal position is slightly off the beaten path...but...only slightly.  The thing to remember is...we don't need to get spoiled.  We need to keep in mind...one person's mediocrity is another person's Super Bowl.

Hell...this will all be a moot point soon enough.  As soon as Lowndes completes the plans for their new university and IPG....we'll all be mediocre....including Rab.

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

WELL, MAYBE I can conjure one up! The last time I talk with him, he was languishing in the hills of Nawth East Jawja! He DOES have baggage though, kinda like YOU know WHO! You hafta ask yourownself! SELF, do I want a church mouse, or a CHAMPIONSHIP? 

PS

I just did a lil digging, and rumor has it, he is languishing in tween employment, with his spouse on St. Simons! How good is he you ask? And I reply, FOUR big school titles!

David is a basketball junkie, good players are attracted to him. Runs a great practice,  usually has a pitbull of a coach running the drills, while he lays back and watches the players. 

Definitely has baggage and an outsized ego to go with it. Milton/North Fulton bullshit politics did him dirty, his A.D. left to go to Jackson County I think and they turned on him. Mostly daddyball parents and helicopter mamas who wouldn’t compete or couldn’t compete with the move ins. 

Typical appeasement admin types for that area, and the biggest mouth in the area complaining was the biggest loser... he’s still coaching Milton’s rival. Because basketball in North Fulton in not that important, these folks wanna win but won’t do what it takes to be successful.

I think you got an idea why we made the move.

Regards

All Knowing Asshole