Carmel upsets Center Grove 16-13 in OT

ECHS05

Thought I would inform everyone this game is on Fox Sports Pacific at 7pm ET tonight. The same channel Corona Centennial vs St. John Bosco will be on at 10pm ET. 

Right now the Indiana 4A Championship is on... but in an hour the big one will be on... and 3 hours after that, the big CA showdown.

8 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

whiteshoes is an Indiana guy I'm pretty sure

Was at the game last night spotting for the PA announcer.  I thought McCoy's injury on his run in overtime Was critical as it forced Center Grove to run Yeasch up the middle, something he does not seem to be comfortable with.  As you see he tried to stretch the ball over the goal line when a Carmel player popped it out.  I have thought about this game's effect on my poll as I am uncomfortable ranking a four loss team in it but also feel that both Center Grove and Warren Central are amongst the best 100 teams in the country.

3 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Was at the game last night spotting for the PA announcer.  I thought McCoy's injury on his run in overtime Was critical as it forced Center Grove to run Yeasch up the middle, something he does not seem to be comfortable with.  As you see he tried to stretch the ball over the goal line when a Carmel player popped it out.  I have thought about this game's effect on my poll as I am uncomfortable ranking a four loss team in it but also feel that both Center Grove and Warren Central are amongst the best 100 teams in the country.

FWIW I would absolutely put CG and WC in the top 50. Not even a question in my mind. 

As for Carmel......not sure if this what you are suggesting, but just because they win a state title doesn't mean they should be ranked higher than WC or CG. It's a whole season's body of work, not just the playoffs.  Some teams get much easier draws in the playoffs and only have to win 1 big game for a title.

From what I saw of Carmel this season, they are a pretty good team that had trouble finishing against good teams. They finished in the big game when it counted tho. I too think it would be a very tough call on whether or not to put them in the top 100, but not because of their record.

Watched the entire game on IHSAA internet site.  Fantastic defensive battle.  Carmel defense was stout and really shut down the CG running game.  

Watching CG go about their business, and observing the post game interviews, especially with Trojan Head Coach Eric Moore, it looks like Center Grove was complacent coming in and expected to walk away with an easy victory.  Carmel HC John Hebert obviously had his team primed and ready to deliver their best performance of the season, and the Greyhounds came thru in the clutch.  The back to back 50 yard field goals by the CG kicker were just astounding.  How often does that happen in hs football?  

CG is elite, but still not quite ready for the Indiana Mt Rushmore of high school football programs.  Great ballgame.  Beats the heck out of the 67-52 Texas garbage shootouts that they are playing out west.