4.1% Growth!!!

paladin4ever

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

Obama reached that # several times.  Wait until the year is over to see How the #'s turn out.  Reagan would bitch slap Trump btw for how he treats this country.  For all Reagan's faults, and they were many, he was a patriot who wouldn't think of throwing his country under the bus for the benefit of Russia.  

The problem with Trump and Russia is that he is most likely financially compromised. In the 1990s when his businesses were floundering, Russia was likely a source of funding as American institutions would not lend him money.

It's as simple as that. For Trump knows little of Russian history and of Putin's role in it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

The problem with Trump and Russia is that he is most likely financially compromised. In the 1990s when his businesses were floundering, Russia was likely a source of funding as American institutions would not lend him money.

It's as simple as that. For Trump knows little of Russian history and of Putin's role in it. 

Exactly.  Even junior said that's where they get money.  One thing is guaranteed: Trump denies any connection to Russia and Trump lying about it.

And its hard to know history if you don't read.  Whoever passed him in school should be prosecuted for being a horrible teacher.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Dude, 4.1% is solid growth. But, it is not China type growth; but given the maturity of the US economy, it is probably as good as we are going to get. I would have preferred something between 3 and 4% myself as that may have put the FED on hold. With 4.1% there will be two more rate hikes this year unless the market collapses.

It is interesting to note that despite the very good GDP numbers, and strong earnings from Amazon, the stock market is having a terrible day as I type this. 

The growth was anticipated and thus likely already largely built-in.

Tech stocks are taking a beating.

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Obama reached that # several times.  Wait until the year is over to see How the #'s turn out.  Reagan would bitch slap Trump btw for how he treats this country.  For all Reagan's faults, and they were many, he was a patriot who wouldn't think of throwing his country under the bus for the benefit of Russia.  

Which has not happened.

Trump has been tougher on the Russians than Obama or Hillary ever were or would have been.

"I'll have more flexibility after the election"

Russia reset.

Georgia and Crimea annexations.

No weapons sales to the Ukraine.

The 80s want their foreign policy back.

Obama knowing of Russian election meddling and doing nothing.

“There is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America’s elections, there’s no evidence that that has happened in the past or that it will happen this time, and so I’d invite Mr. Trump to stop whining and make his case to get votes.” - Barack Obama

Bubba meeting with Putin alone and walking away with a check for half-a-million bucks.

Untold millions of Russian "donations" to the Clinton Foundation

Sale of 20% of American uranium production to Russian-controlled concerns...

Hillary Clinton and the DNC paying for Russian bullshit intel and using it to justify spying on another campaign.

You people are a disgrace.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, concha said:

The growth was anticipated and thus likely already largely built-in.

Tech stocks are taking a beating.

All kinds of growth stocks are taking a beating; not just tech stocks. And there was no Facebook surprise. On the contrary, there was good reported news on the economy and great earnings from Amazon. Yes, Intel had bad news but it's been years since it was a leading stock, so it was not that. Could it be that the market is looking ahead and does not like what it sees?

To be fair and balanced, it could also be one of its periodic bouts of craziness with nothing more or less behind it. But the feel of the day's move and the acceleration of volume as stocks sold off, does not feel good. Stocks often top when economic news looks good as the market, while far from perfect, is an anticipatory body. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

All kinds of growth stocks are taking a beating; not just tech stocks. And there was no Facebook surprise. On the contrary, there was good reported news on the economy and great earnings from Amazon. Yes, Intel had bad news but it's been years since it was a leading stock, so it was not that. Could it be that the market is looking ahead and does not like what it sees?

To be fair and balanced, it could also be one of its periodic bouts of craziness with nothing more or less behind it. But the feel of the day's move and the acceleration of volume as stocks sold off, does not feel good. Stocks often top when economic news looks good as the market, while far from perfect, is an anticipatory body. 

Could be many things I guess. So far the change is barely a needle-mover.

The WSJ GDP growth forecaster, which was spot on this time anyway, is predicting a 3.0% rate for Q3. Hardly a red alert.

http://projects.wsj.com/econforecast/#ind=gdp&r=12

1 minute ago, concha said:

Could be many things I guess. So far the change is barely a needle-mover.

The WSJ GDP growth forecaster, which was spot on this time anyway, is predicting a 3.0% rate for Q3. Hardly a red alert.

http://projects.wsj.com/econforecast/#ind=gdp&r=12

Markets don't crash out of the blue. They top first and then either go down in fairly orderly fashion or crash later after the top. Today's action even on the NASDAQ does not mean much taken in isolation. What means a whole lot more to me is the fact that the market has sold its leaders off viciously without any specific bad news on the day. In good markets bad news is shaken off and stocks go higher. In bad markets, good news is sold and bad news is sold even more viciously. Yesterday, the action in response to Facebook's disappointment was far healthier, as tech stocks got bludgeoned but it did not spill over to the rest of the market. Today we are seeing something very different. 

But, like I said, one bad day does not mean the world is coming to an end as markets periodically sell off for no particular reason only to rebound quickly. Nevertheless, the day's action serves as a warning that I for one will take meaning from. Should we have another day like this over the next two to three sessions, I will likely lighten up my exposure to avoid significant damage. Whether this is a top or not we need to realize that this is a late stage bull market that will probably end sooner than later. 

47 minutes ago, concha said:

Which has not happened.

Trump has been tougher on the Russians than Obama or Hillary ever were or would have been.

"I'll have more flexibility after the election"

Russia reset.

Georgia and Crimea annexations.

No weapons sales to the Ukraine.

The 80s want their foreign policy back.

Obama knowing of Russian election meddling and doing nothing.

“There is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America’s elections, there’s no evidence that that has happened in the past or that it will happen this time, and so I’d invite Mr. Trump to stop whining and make his case to get votes.” - Barack Obama

Bubba meeting with Putin alone and walking away with a check for half-a-million bucks.

Untold millions of Russian "donations" to the Clinton Foundation

Sale of 20% of American uranium production to Russian-controlled concerns...

Hillary Clinton and the DNC paying for Russian bullshit intel and using it to justify spying on another campaign.

You people are a disgrace.

You are disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.  You have no peer in this forum.  Comgrats.

I won't even bother to counter your bs with reasons and facts bc you are disingenuous.  I've tried many times and have yet to have an adult conversation.  

Trump tougher on Russia?  I don't think even Trump believes that shit.  The fact that you do almost makes me feel and for you.  Almost.  

Btw, you mentioned before that you have a special needs child at home.  Do you mind telling me what his needs are?  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

You are disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.  You have no peer in this forum.  Comgrats.

I won't even bother to counter your bs with reasons and facts bc you are disingenuous.  I've tried many times and have yet to have an adult conversation.  

Trump tougher on Russia?  I don't think even Trump believes that shit.  The fact that you do almost makes me feel and for you.  Almost.  

Btw, you mentioned before that you have a special needs child at home.  Do you mind telling me what his needs are?  

Congratulations to you for having the capacity to compose such a vacuous response. 

That Trump has been tougher is not even a competition. Sanctions, arming the Ukraine, stronger US military spending, pushing for stronger NATO militaries, opposing Russia in Syria, pushing the EU to shift away from energy dependence on Russia... "Disingenuous"? 

Look at that versus the list I just posted.

Your head is so far up the collective leftist hate-Trump-at-any-cost ass that you couldn't even guess the time of day.

56 minutes ago, concha said:

Congratulations to you for having the capacity to compose such a vacuous response. 

That Trump has been tougher is not even a competition. Sanctions, arming the Ukraine, stronger US military spending, pushing for stronger NATO militaries, opposing Russia in Syria, pushing the EU to shift away from energy dependence on Russia... "Disingenuous"? 

Look at that versus the list I just posted.

Your head is so far up the collective leftist hate-Trump-at-any-cost ass that you couldn't even guess the time of day.

Your list is trash.  You are a disgrace.  

Trump isn't pushing the EU away from buying energy from anybody.  Just bc he said that doesn't mean there going to change there portfolio.  That had zero affect and nobody except you think it did.  

He fought the sanctions and didnt want to implement them.  Congress tied his hands and he had to.  

Pushing for stronger militaries?  He went to Europe and insulted our allies and said pay more.  Zero affect.  They were and are already on a path and are not going to do more than they were planning on bc Trump said so.  

Haven't seen anything tough concerning Syria.  Haven't seen anything tough about Russia undermining sanctions concerning NK either.  

You and Trump deserve each other.  America doesn't.  

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

Your list is trash.  You are a disgrace.  

Trump isn't pushing the EU away from buying energy from anybody.  Just bc he said that doesn't mean there going to change there portfolio.  That had zero affect and nobody except you think it did.  

He fought the sanctions and didnt want to implement them.  Congress tied his hands and he had to.  

Pushing for stronger militaries?  He went to Europe and insulted our allies and said pay more.  Zero affect.  They were and are already on a path and are not going to do more than they were planning on bc Trump said so.  

Haven't seen anything tough concerning Syria.  Haven't seen anything tough about Russia undermining sanctions concerning NK either.  

You and Trump deserve each other.  America doesn't.  

Compared to your nonexistent list I'm sure it is trash.

Clown.

2 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

All the left said "it can't happen with Trump, never....Under nobama it was always like 1.3.......,..for eight years and he took out a sixth  of our economy with nobamacare....Trump will keep this going.....Rather than make snide and condescending remarks, why not praise his success......I know why.....

Nobody said it couldn't happen.  Show me where anyone on this forum said it can't happen with Trump.  

41 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

With all your stock market acumen, why haven't you made a bundle in investments ??? Then you could afford to travel to Europe 3-4 times......The way you go on with all your expertise and market bloviating, you should  be rolling in cash.....

Talk is cheap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

With all your stock market acumen, why haven't you made a bundle in investments ??? Then you could afford to travel to Europe 3-4 times......The way you go on with all your expertise and market bloviating, you should  be rolling in cash.....

I am up $23,392 since January 30, 2018. At no time during this six month period have I ever had more than $170,000 of my original capital at risk despite having more than twice as much investable funds on the sidelines. The $23.4 k was made on both long and short trades. And no, not all of the trades made were profitable. However, the losses were kept to minimal levels. 

I have posted every trade made in real time initially as a way of forcing myself back into market form as I had taken a 27 month hiatus. After that, I kept posting, though with less frequency since I had regained my rhythm, as a favor to those that find such stuff interesting. 

There is no need for you to read a damn thing I post if it provides no value to you. What I will say is this: it takes courage to post your actual results in real time since your failures, as well as your successes, will be laid bare for all to see. I doubt many of you would ever have the self confidence to do so.

To those that do read I hope you gain some additional market knowledge from them. I have made the posts with absolutely no hidden agenda nor with any intention of pecuniary benefit.  

As to where and when I take my vacations, kindly f**k off. I don't think it's any of your damn business. 

Peace!

18 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Almost every single post I have made regarding individual financial instruments have been positions I have traded over the six month period. It's not talk. It's what I have actually done with my money. 

So what is your angle?  You say you are not a professional and are not offering financial advice.  Yet you trash financial advisors like you have a secret they don’t.  Anyone who would take advice from some random dude on the internet is an idiot anyway.  So are you just bragging?  If so, either you have been at this just a little while, or you took some big losses in the past.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

So what is your angle?  You say you are not a professional and are not offering financial advice.  Yet you trash financial advisors like you have a secret they don’t.  Anyone who would take advice from some random dude on the internet is an idiot anyway.  So are you just bragging?  If so, either you have been at this just a little while, or you took some big losses in the past.

If you took the time to read my response to Drummer's post, my angle is clearly stated therein. I won't repeat it in this post but if you want to know, I suggest you read it. 

The only secret to the stock market is that there is no secret assuming you don't have inside information. The key to success in the stock market is to: 1. Have a well though out method that works for you (others may not be able to use your methods as they don't have your gut,  patience, discipline to do the work necessary or risk tolerance); 2. Have the discipline to stick to it (in other words don't let emotion control you); 3. Have an effective way to control your risk. If you do one, two and three effectively, you will accumulate profits consistently over time.

Regarding my time in the market and my successes and failures, I bought my first stock almost exactly 28 years ago. I was in my early thirties then. It took me that long to accumulate sufficient savings to take the plunge as I was an immigrant from the third world and not an heir. Over the 28 years, I have had winners and losers. The key to keeping ahead has been to not let my losers destroy me due to pigheadedness.  You cut your losers before they do damage to your capital and let your winners run if market conditions warrant it. I have avoided big losses in the two major bear markets of my time (2000-2002 and 2007-2009) by going to the sidelines early and mostly staying there.

Unfortunately, my attempts at successfully shorting during those two bear markets was  not as successful as my trades on the long side during bull market periods. This has been due to the fact that bear markets are way more volatile than bull markets and that makes it harder, at least for me,  to hold positions on days they go against you. Interestingly, I held off reentering the market from my 27 month long hiatus until I got a clear sell signal from my indicators.Why?  Perhaps this was try and prove to myself that I can effectively make good money shorting? I don't really know. 

9 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

And still never went to Europe......

My wife has been twice. I let her fill me in on the details. I have been to both China and Thailand. My kid has lived in both places and that has given me a reason to go. 

But tell you what, if I am up over $100,000 from now through next summer, I will take a trip that covers certain countries in Europe (UK, France and Germany and/or maybe Italy and Spain), as well as Nigeria and Ghana in Africa.

For me, when I am trading trips are costly. Why? Either I violate many of my trading rules, or I spoil the trip by spending too much time monitoring the market, or I go to cash. All three choices have real costs to them. 

For the record, when my wife retires in four years, I will stop trading as at that point, wage income, which serves as a comforter, will be a thing of the past. At that stage, perhaps, if I am healthy, I will take more trips then.