2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

6 hours ago, Pops said:

If CC makes it to 14-0, I’m nominating @On2whls for sandbagged of year award 

I always lean CC in socal (except last 2 years) but he convinced me you guys were down this year —

No, they won’t make it to 14-0.  I’ve seen more 3and outs on offense this year, than in the last 4 combined.   Very troubling they they haven’t established any sort of run game.   You have to have balance to compete with MD and SJB. The defense is what got them through the OOL schedule.  The offense will have time to practice execution in league schedule but it won’t be at the same speed they’ll see in the playoffs.  Still, for a team with only three “star rated” players, they’ve done okay thus far.   

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

30 minutes ago, On2whls said:

No, they won’t make it to 14-0.  I’ve seen more 3and outs on offense this year, than in the last 4 combined.   Very troubling they they haven’t established any sort of run game.   You have to have balance to compete with MD and SJB. The defense is what got them through the OOL schedule.  The offense will have time to practice execution in league schedule but it won’t be at the same speed they’ll see in the playoffs.  Still, for a team with only three “star rated” players, they’ve done okay thus far.   

Got it (although think it’s a bit funny you hour a thumbs down from big daddy)

On 9/9/2018 at 9:41 AM, Belly Bob said:

DLS is too high. 

This is coming from a Tier 1 homer. 

They took a step back offensively this week. Unforced turnovers. Errant throws.

And I'm not sure why, but they started a 5'6'' sophomore at corner. St. Francis was able to the move the ball and score by throwing it high to their much taller receivers.

BG has very tall receivers and a mobile QB who can find them downfield.

Plus BG's defensive backs aren't going to be as forgiving of errant throws.  

DLS belongs on Tier 3 if that's where BG belongs. 

I agree with DLS being too high.  Until they can open up the playbook and then execute I don't see them scoring enough against Tier 2 teams.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

You guys are still better than DLS and Foolsom.

Don't let these cats tell you otherwise.

• Like 1

Just now, On2whls said:

Oooh, you did it now!  Brace for impact LOL.    

Not worried.

The two that will come kicking and screaming are two of the least knowledgeable posters here. Block nor Pops has a freakin' clue as to what is taking place on the field.

Hell Pops only sees bits and pieces of DLS games; he damn sure doesn't know what is going on outside of Concord.

3 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Not worried.

The two that will come kicking and screaming are two of the least knowledgeable posters here. Block nor Pops has a freakin' clue as to what is taking place on the field.

Hell Pops only sees bits and pieces of DLS games; he damn sure doesn't know what is going on outside of Concord. 

Pops is okay.  He's proud of his team and state, and will defend them vigorously.  The other guy, er how many guys is he up to now well.....

Just now, On2whls said:

Pops is okay.  He's proud of his team and state, and will defend them vigorously.  The other guy, er how many guys is he up to now well.....

It's one thing to support your team.

It's totally different when you go full retard to defend what can't be defended, and Pops does that often. Sometimes you just need to say nothing.

Block is just full retard, and borderline psychotic.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Belly Bob said:

Yes, that would be a fair compromise. 

Sammy? 

LOL   Not only would that be exhausting, but it also misses the entire point about Tiers in HS Football.

The idea is that there is clear separation between HS teams that is not readily apparent by looking at W/L records or numerical rankings.

For Example in 2017 even though BC was a State Champion and  Top 20 team, there was no chance in hell they (as a Tier 3 team) had a chance to beat Tier 1 Mater Dei.  The gap between those Tiers was so expanisve, that BC could not ever make that leap.

9 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

LOL   Not only would that be exhausting, but it also misses the entire point about Tiers in HS Football.

The idea is that there is clear separation between HS teams that is not readily apparent by looking at W/L records or numerical rankings.

For Example in 2017 even though BC was a State Champion and  Top 20 team, there was no chance in hell they (as a Tier 3 team) had a chance to beat Tier 1 Mater Dei.  The gap between those Tiers was so expanisve, that BC could not ever make that leap.

I understand what you’re trying to do 

I think you’re not really doing what you say though 

if so, tiers are going to get bigger — imagine a perfectly shaped bell curve with 14k+ teams represented where your average teams are the middle tallest part of the curve 

MD, SJB, IMG are to the furthest right of curve 

tier 2 will have twice as many teams as tier 1, tier 3 will have twice as many as tier 2, etc 

thats how to differentiate by level of play because that’s how teams are differentiated (vs ie trying to choose #11-15 among 5 similar teams)

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

if so, tiers are going to get bigger — imagine a perfectly shaped bell curve with 14k+ teams represented where your average teams are the middle tallest part of the curve 

tier 2 will have twice as many teams as tier 1, tier 3 will have twice as many as tier 2, etc 

thats how to differentiate by level of play because that’s how teams are differentiated (vs ie trying to choose #11-15 among 5 similar teams)

Theoretically you are correct, and if the Cal preps computer placed teams on Tiers, that is how it would work out.   Ideally I would like to finish the season with teams in their most competitive playoff brackets represented by each Tier.  That's the end game of the Tiers.

Tier 1 - would have 4 or 8 teams in that playoff

Tier 2 - (8-16) Teams

Tiers 3-6 (16) teams 

So BC and DLS this year may be a good fit for participating in a Tier 2 National playoff.

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Theoretically you are correct, and if the Cal preps computer placed teams on Tiers, that is how it would work out.   Ideally I would like to finish the season with teams in their most competitive playoff brackets represented by each Tier.  That's the end game of the Tiers.

Tier 2 - (8-16) Teams

Tiers 3-6 (16) teams 

So BC and DLS this year may be a good fit for participating in a Tier 2 National playoff.

You're putting the cart before the horse.

10 hours ago, On2whls said:

Oooh, you did it now!  Brace for impact LOL.    

At this point in the season, I'd favor Cen10 over DLS. 

My point was that if we make the Tiers course-grained (as I think we should), then Cen10 and DLS would be on the same Tier, since at this point in the season, I think DLS could hang with Cen10 even if they would likely come up short and I don't think that Cen10 would have a real chance against MD.

You may know better than I do, but in the two games I've watched, the QBs weren't executing the read option very well and were making some suspect throws. 

3 hours ago, Pops said:

When you study a bell curve, you rarely look at the middle. You analyze the tails. So think of Sammy’s tiers as the right hand tail of a bell curve.

5 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

When you study a bell curve, you rarely look at the middle. You analyze the tails. So think of Sammy’s tiers as the right hand tail of a bell curve.

I just said that 

3 hours ago, Pops said:

7 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 2 - (8-16) Teams

Tiers 3-6 (16) teams 

You've already got some preconceived notion of the number of teams for each tier. You're doomed from the start Sammy.

Also, please remove the crowd sourced disclaimer. Your bias towards particular teams will not allow you to accurately place those teams despite substantial evidence mounted against or in favor of said teams. This is obvious, which is why you apply your "move the goal posts" evaluative measures.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TheRealOrangeCounty said:

I adamantly disagree.

Cen10 looked sloppy against mediocre Pitt, a team that Folsom would likely put 75 on on.

I think DLS is better than Cen10.  

You gave yourself away with that one, Block.

You've now got about 6 accounts that all express the same dull ideas. 

We're gonna keep our eye on you. You're going places in this world, kid. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You've already got some preconceived notion of the number of teams for each tier. You're doomed from the start Sammy.

Also, please remove the crowd sourced disclaimer. Your bias towards particular teams will not allow you to accurately place those teams despite substantial evidence mounted against or in favor of said teams. This is obvious, which is why you apply your "move the goal posts" evaluative measures.

First off, the Tiers state that not every team is attempted to be ranked, only the teams posters are interested in. 

Second off, guys can vouch that I do accept and process data from posters in their areas of expertise, and have made several adjustments due to their alerting me to various developments.

Third off, you never have any constructive to add.   Would appreciate some honest takes to help improve the product.

As an end result, I would like to arrive at competitive playoff brackets per Tier

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

First off, the Tiers state that not every team is attempted to be ranked, only the teams posters are interested in. 

Second off, guys can vouch that I do accept and process data from posters in their areas of expertise, and have made several adjustments due to their alerting me to various developments.

Third off, you never have any constructive to add.   Would appreciate some honest takes to help improve the product.

As an end result, I would like to arrive at competitive playoff brackets per Tier

My critiques have all been honest and justified. I can't help your biases hinder your abilities to apply the information to improve your product.

I think most reasonable persons on here would agree. Keyword being reasonable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Sammy just put them in tier 1 already so they stop crying 😢... I never seen a team wanna be ranked so bad nationally but Refuse to play anyone out of state with a Pulse

• Thanks 1