Don Bosco Prep & SJR transfers

LiberalDonaldTrump

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I really have no clue. If one drew teams out of a hat, any combination could still make perfect sense. In alpha order, my thoughts are as follows:

BC: IMO none of its heralded "stars" did anything of substance last season that would warrant the team being considered preseason #1 in 2017. Yet, it appears that most will have them in the top spot next month. The OL was atrocious in 2016. How has it improved in 2017?

DBP: So many are down on the Ironmen. But why? Just because GOAT GT is gone? Arguably, they have the best OL, DL and RB in the conference returning. Breaking in a new, inexperienced QB appears to be the main reason why the "experts" will most likely rank them in the bottom half of the conference preseason polls. Anyone that sleeps on this team may be in for a rude awakening. New HC, new O, new D....changes for the better IMO. 

DPC: Have more starters returning in 2017 than any other conference foe. Yet I've been hearing really concerning, negative stuff coming out of their camp this summer. I'll just leave it at that. Truly hope they shock the hsfb world this season. They def have the talent to do so. 

PC: Lost more senior starters than any other BNU team. However, brought in the most number of seasoned transfers. Can this potpourri of top players gel and accomplish greatness together? That's the question. 

SJR: Have three great senior leaders returning in Patti, Alaimo and Stewart, but is that enough to win it all? Plus they play what may be the toughest OOS duo in DFB and SJC. And lost a TON of talented linemen on both sides of the ball. 

SPP. The two most high profile BNU recruits call Jersey City home. Can Ademilola and Simon replicate what Wimbush and Minkah achieved in 2014? With Maynor, Mickens, Falconer, Blair and Oben, the worthy supporting cast is there. Plus they have the easiest non-conference schedule allowing for two weeks off in essence.  

In other words another year of drawing straws for the best team. Should be very entertaining for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Personally, I believe that SPP and DBP will be playing for the G4 Chip come December. My wild card would be SJR. IMO BC, PC and DPC are all good teams, but will be on the outside looking in when all is said and done. 

With SJR going to G4, DPC will no doubt be the favorite in G3.

15 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I really have no clue. If one drew teams out of a hat, any combination could still make perfect sense. In alpha order, my thoughts are as follows:

BC: IMO none of its heralded "stars" did anything of substance last season that would warrant the team being considered preseason #1 in 2017. Yet, it appears that most will have them in the top spot next month. The OL was atrocious in 2016. How has it improved in 2017?

DBP: So many are down on the Ironmen. But why? Just because GOAT GT is gone? Arguably, they have the best OL, DL and RB in the conference returning. Breaking in a new, inexperienced QB appears to be the main reason why the "experts" will most likely rank them in the bottom half of the conference preseason polls. Anyone that sleeps on this team may be in for a rude awakening. New HC, new O, new D....changes for the better IMO. 

DPC: Have more starters returning in 2017 than any other conference foe. Yet I've been hearing really concerning, negative stuff coming out of their camp this summer. I'll just leave it at that. Truly hope they shock the hsfb world this season. They def have the returning talent to do so. 

PC: Lost more senior starters than any other BNU team. However, brought in the most number of seasoned transfers. Can this potpourri of top players gel and accomplish greatness together? That's the question. 

SJR: Have three great senior leaders returning in Patti, Alaimo and Stewart, but is that enough to win it all? Plus they play what may be the toughest OOS duo in DFB and SJC. And lost a TON of talented linemen on both sides of the ball. 

SPP. Two of the most high profile BNU recruits call Jersey City home. Can Ademilola and Simon replicate what Wimbush and Minkah achieved in 2014? With Maynor, Mickens, Falconer, Blair and Oben, the worthy supporting cast is there. Plus they have the easiest non-conference schedule (UC, Lincoln) allowing for two weeks "off" in essence.  

Nice work buddy... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

DPC: Have more starters returning in 2017 than any other conference foe. Yet I've been hearing really concerning, negative stuff coming out of their camp this summer. I'll just leave it at that. Truly hope they shock the hsfb world this season. They def have the returning talent to do so. 

SPP. Two of the most high profile BNU recruits call Jersey City home. Can Ademilola and Simon replicate what Wimbush and Minkah achieved in 2014? With Maynor, Mickens, Falconer, Blair and Oben, the worthy supporting cast is there. Plus they have the easiest non-conference schedule (UC, Lincoln) allowing for two weeks "off" in essence.  

As usual good assessment by GSB....I think you cannot minimize  toal loss but really think Marangi leaving and going SJR is a big deal.  Confident in Auggie for the O-line. Stern will figure a way especially since our skills positions might be the best since 2004.  Def is a work in progress, Secondary should be very strong,,just need some def lineman and Lb's...Van Italie + Agnew will be missed as much acceus...very good nucleus last year.  

GR4 thing is still not decided last I heard...but its probably 50/50...if not this year definitely next year but wish they would just put us there in perpetuity. Just changes the picture in GR4.  

• Like 3

On 7/8/2017 at 11:42 AM, Drummer61 said:

I also am not sold on Sweeney as a "Good line coach..As a player at Bosco he never bought in and Granatelll was not at all high on him !!

I have direct experience and when Sweeney came in it was a breath of fresh air....a players coach

Remember great coaches weren't always great players

• Like 2

At this time of year, people ask me who I think will be the best and I tell them "I have no idea."  This year is no different.  Here is my version of GSB's post.

I do think Bosco can win this year, but it's not a definite.  There are some good players like Friday, Earlington, Courtney, Brennan, and Berger.  If they can straighten out the QB thing, they can be very good.  Next year may be a bigger question than this year.  

Bergen Catholic: I think Langan is very legit, as long as he is healthy.  BC was a different team when he was hurt.  Agree the line is the question and whether McKenzie can stay healthy - actually I wonder if Rahmir Johnson, at some point, passes him.  I think DiCosmo and Jean-Baptiste are ready to have good years on defense. As a BC grad, I look at it this way: just beat DePaul on opening day and I will worry about the next game after that.   

Paramus Catholic: Depth may be a bigger question this year.  If they can stay healthy enough, I think they will improve as the season progresses, like Sabella teams usually do.  Get Clark in space and he can make plays and Toure can have a breakout year at WR.  Like BC, the line is also a question, with only one starter returning.  

Joe's: They have been pretty quiet this off-season.  A source I know close to the program for a long time thinks they will be down a little.  They have to replace some three-year starters.  One who could step up big for them on defense is Howard Cross, Jr. on the D-line.  Patti improved throughout last season and that will help.  Sharkey coming in from Bosco will help the secondary and he might play some offense.  They should be able to fill in the line with players.  

St. Peter's Prep: They have the chance to be very good this year.  Everything I have heard for the last two years tells me Maynor will be a better QB than Johnathan Lewis ever was and he brings energy.  I am told the linebackers will be better than last year's even though they have to replace everybody there - seniors were given the nod last year.  Have not seen the "wow" plays from the Ademilola twins yet, but Simon is the real deal.   

DePaul:  18 starters are back and that's a start.  Right now junior Ronnie Hickman is probably the best Catholic WR.  DePalma is one of the best football players in the state - not one of the top recruits, but he is all football player and, if nothing else, Boston College will be getting a great special teams player.  The kid makes tackles on defense and special teams. If Roberson keeps improving at QB, they can be very good.  

Pope John: Have 15 starters back.  Were in a lot of games, but couldn't close the deal; all five losses were by a total of 31 points.  Their games with DePaul were physical affairs and Bergen was a close game.  The one LB is going to Boston College.  They definitely have some dudes.  Were getting some transfers, but I hear that is falling apart.  The one transfer that can make an impact is DE/TE Aidan Murray, who played for a bad Wallkill Valley team.  They also have Neal at RB, who started out at Bosco.  Lost to DePaul by three in the playoffs.  May not be able to keep up with everyone, but they can be dangerous on a given week.    

Seton Hall Prep:  It is Year Three for Vito and they could have or should have beaten Bosco in the playoffs.  They will be a solid team, but don't think they can keep up with the big boys on a weekly basis.  They will come to play.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Zipcep said:

I have direct experience and when Sweeney came in it was a breath of fresh air....a players coach

Remember great coaches weren't always great players

Just what exactly is a players coach? I hear the term used so much but everyone seems to have a different meaning.

Just now, aZjimbo said:

Just what exactly is a players coach? I hear the term used so much but everyone seems to have a different meaning.

He looked out for his players

ie: Toal would have the O-line guys (260-280lbs) running and doing bear crawls as much as the skill players and you could see it affecting them.

I'm all for the tough-guy approach, Hell, I asked T.Friday to lean on my son and give him the business, it will only make him better...

but what Toal did to some of the large players was silly... I won't get into the "wrestling match"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zipcep said:

ie: Toal would have the O-line guys (260-280lbs) running and doing bear crawls as much as the skill players and you could see it affecting them.

I'm all for the tough-guy approach, Hell, I asked T.Friday to lean on my son and give him the business, it will only make him better...

but what Toal did to some of the large players was silly... I won't get into the "wrestling match"

OK. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Zipcep said:

and when we went to Prattville Alabama and played in the crazy heat and humidity down there we won that game because of those bear crawls...the o-ilne "sucked-it-up" and they won the game for us...almost the same story when we played Manatee...thank goodness for those bear crawls....or they would have been LONG flights home....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

and when we went to Prattville Alabama and played in the crazy heat and humidity down there we won that game because of those bear crawls...the o-ilne "sucked-it-up" and they won the game for us...almost the same story when we played Manatee...thank goodness for those bear crawls....or they would have been LONG flights home....

Of course it had nothing to do with the incredible talent Bosco had in those years. Maybe it might be better you stick with your always incorrect political posts?

26 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

We don't  agre politically,however, that conditioning did have value in that and other games... Toal once told that he wanted,"all lineman ready to  go all day".... I watched that game on big screen and those players were "soaked" all over from that heat... I remember, for example,against MV that that "giddy up offense" broke down MV to the point that 4 of them were hospitalized ... Silly or not, that conditioning paid off in several games and I witnessed it.. That along with talent made some Bosco teams unbeatable.. I saw Toal run a block kick play 24 times to perfection and it worked against STA in Fla and it disrupted MV on several occasions..

I know we don't agree politically but often do about Bosco....thank goodness....you played as did I and we understand that conditioning of players often can make the difference in getting a win or loss...I was on the sidelines for both of those games and the fact that we were in much better shape than both of those teams allowed us to beat them in their element...in fact if you remember there was a big controversy before the Manatee game...they said we were the "feature" game and would therefore play after B.C. that day...then they changed the game time at the last minute to play first as to play in the heat of the day....it worked...we played in their heat and beat them...it was all about conditioning in Prattville and Manatee....the heat and humidity down south is a killer....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Of course it had nothing to do with the incredible talent Bosco had in those years. Maybe it might be better you stick with your always incorrect political posts?

...come on Jimmy...of course it had to do with talent...but when you play teams with incredible talent like Prattville and Manatee in their house in the heat and humidity they are use to playing in it has EVERYTHING to do about conditioning...but what do you know about football?...stick to defending dopey Donny...

21 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Those barbaric antics, along with telling kids everyday that they 'sucked' and that they were 'pussies' stopped working around 2012. Words started going in one ear and out the other at that time. Got old. The stars, as well as the once overachieving "Wally Waldwick's" of the team, stopped responding and executing. There was a total disconnect. Hence, the 4+ annual losses and current OOS slump. 

A new, positive approach, mentality and perspective was needed IMO. From what I see and hear, the dividends are already paying off. #InTeelWeTrust #InHeuserWeTrust

all of a sudden in one year Coach's Toal's techniques became obsolete??..not IMO....that's a bunch of BS...Bosco was "Home of the Tough Guys"...until some soft parents got involved..2012 huh...hummm...wasn't that around the time Chris (Mr. Verizon) Partridge and P.C. came to fame??...humm...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

all of a sudden in one year Coach's Toal's techniques became obsolete??..not IMO....that's a bunch of BS...Bosco was "Home of the Tough Guys"...until some soft parents got involved..2012 huh...hummm...wasn't that around the time Chris (Mr. Verizon) Partridge and P.C. came to fame??...humm...

Why are you ALWAYS wrong?

Other than standing on the sideline you're connection to what goes on recently is very limited :$

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Those barbaric antics, along with telling kids everyday that they 'sucked' and that they were 'pussies' stopped working around 2012. Words started going in one ear and out the other at that time. Got old. The stars, as well as the once overachieving "Wally Waldwick's" of the team, stopped responding and executing. There was a total disconnect. Hence, the 4+ annual losses and current OOS slump. 

A new, positive approach, mentality and perspective was needed IMO. From what I see and hear, the dividends are already paying off. #InTeelWeTrust #InHeuserWeTrust

Bottom line will be wins. And Teel will have a tremendously difficult time matching the wins that Toal achieved. But conforming to the president of the school and keeping team nationally relevant seems to be the current goal of the administration. Good luck to Coach Teel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You blame CP, Drummer blames Heuser, HRC blames the Russians ;) 

I still believe what I wrote above is what occurred. I call it the Kevin Wilkins/Jabrill Peppers phenomenon. Kids saw that you could be successful (individually and w team chips) at other programs, while being treated like a human being. 

Sometimes the successful antics of a coach resonate with certain kids. Sometimes they turn the kids off.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

With today's parity, 300+ victories will never happen again for a modern-day BNU HC. Unless they start scheduling the publics again, that's an impossible feat and an unfair expectation and comparison. On the other hand, a state section Chip this season would be a great start! 

True but again remember that Bosco was forced to play those publics until they pushed for the OOS games. Toal had his era. Now its Teels era. Being top 100 nationally and winning state titles will be seen as very successful.

• Like 1