Let’s bond, family. How old are you?

ATLien12x

17 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

That's heavy, man.

And it's true, for those who are of the world: they all lose finally. 

But some of us are not of the world.

It's like what Billy Joe Shaver used to say:

I'm gonna live forever.

I'm gonna cross that river.

I'm gonna catch tomorrow now. 

Ha!  I very much enjoy a good thinker post, and this certainly is that.

It struck me that the subject of Viva La Vida had not only met, but also had sympathy for, the devil...so I posted it.  But as a way of life, his is not really my cup-o-tea.

Not familiar with the philosophical stylings of one Mr. Billy Joe Shaver, but if I read this snippet right (and I fully admit I may not have) he comes from a long line of thinkers from time immemorial (e.g. Epicurus, Aurelius, Thoreau, Wittgenstien, Ram Dass and on and on and on) suggesting we be here now, be ever mindful, live in the present. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."  Epicurus

Sure Epicurus was a hedonist, but he was a careful hedonist...

😉

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, noonereal said:

Same here. fortran and cobol.

We had a computer room with big fans. We linked up with Darthmouth over special lines. 

You had to reserve computer time. 

I still recall the girl that banged the professor for A's. 

Good memories. 

One hour time limit on the dumb terminals at a time, please....chalk board with the 4 hour wait is to the left...get back in line...

PS. What... no Assembler or Pascal too???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

You can leave the Sea Witch alone.

Her and Alice the Goon were just in love. 

Alice admitted it and the Sea Witch acted like she didn't love him.

You know her and Spanky died with heart problems.

To be more accurate, Darla died of Congestive Heart Failure and Spanky had a heart attack.

P.S. I bet Darla at 18 was a fox.

I was to young to spank it back then about  Darla thank God.I'm only 1/2 blind now.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

You can leave the Sea Witch alone.

Her and Alice the Goon were just in love. 

Alice admitted it and the Sea Witch acted like she didn't love him.

You know her and Spanky died with heart problems.

To be more accurate, Darla died of Congestive Heart Failure and Spanky had a heart attack.

P.S. I bet Darla at 18 was a fox.

OTAY

10 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Ha!  I very much enjoy a good thinker post, and this certainly is that.

It struck me that the subject of Viva La Vida had not only met, but also had sympathy for, the devil...so I posted it.  But as a way of life, his is not really my cup-o-tea.

Not familiar with the philosophical stylings of one Mr. Billy Joe Shaver, but if I read this snippet right (and I fully admit I may not have) he comes from a long line of thinkers from time immemorial (e.g. Epicurus, Aurelius, Thoreau, Wittgenstien, Ram Dass and on and on and on) suggesting we be here now, be ever mindful, live in the present. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."  Epicurus

Sure Epicurus was a hedonist, but he was a careful hedonist...

😉

Same.

I thought that the lyrics would be a funny response to ATLien's question. I'm surprised it landed. Most of my stuff doesn't. But of course it doesn't represent the kind of life I try to live. (I'm not much for killing children, for example.)

But the Billy Joe Shaver stuff is actually about Christian immortality. He's a Christian man, and he's a good writer, even though he dropped out of school in the 8th grade to help his family (such as it was; he had a hard upbringing) pay the bills. He's a key figure in outlaw country music. He was one of John Steinbeck's favorite lyricists, and even Bob Dylan has covered his songs.

I guess my own views on personal immortality are more in line with Plato's, Descartes's, Leibniz's, and Billy Joe Shaver's.

But I am well aware that it's all the rage these days to think that views like that are stupid.

And of course there is no inconsistency between living in the moment and living forever. In Matthew, for example, Jesus tells us not be anxious for tomorrow. 

• Like 2