If Anyone’s Interested

NYHSFAN33

The 2 CHSAA (Catholic Schools) in Westchester County, NY play Saturday.  Stepinac (White Plains, NY) vs Iona Prep (New Rochelle, NY).  Being they are both in the same league and are only 10-15 mins apart obviously makes this a heated rivalry.  

Iona Prep with the home field advantage for this regular season rivalry game.  If anyone is interested see below.  If you can’t get the local live stream there will be extensive twitter updates and highlights after I’m sure.  I am going to be there for at least the first half, hopefully the full game if life doesn’t get in the way.  Should be a good one.

Stepinac opened up with a win over Central Daulphin East, PA last weekend.  Iona opened up with a win over Bishop Hendricken, RI.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KDJmedia1/status/1039982972575854592

• Thanks 5
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

The 2 CHSAA (Catholic Schools) in Westchester County, NY play Saturday.  Stepinac (White Plains, NY) vs Iona Prep (New Rochelle, NY).  Being they are both in the same league and are only 10-15 mins apart obviously makes this a heated rivalry.  

Iona Prep with the home field advantage for this regular season rivalry game.  If anyone is interested see below.  If you can’t get the local live stream there will be extensive twitter updates and highlights after I’m sure.  I am going to be there for at least the first half, hopefully the full game if life doesn’t get in the way.  Should be a good one.

Stepinac opened up with a win over Central Daulphin East, PA last weekend.  Iona opened up with a win over Bishop Hendricken, RI.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KDJmedia1/status/1039982972575854592

Awesome, man. You KNOW I'm interested, lol. Hendricken hung in there pretty well with Iona Prep last week. Stepinac will be a tough matchup for Xaverian (Mass.) in a few. These teams imo are a lot better than they sometimes get credit for.

15 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Ahem...did you see the halftime score of the SFA/Christ the King game? These five borough teams are Delbartonish at best. 

Comparing Christ the King to Stepinac is silly. And it's also silly to assume that my comment was saying those teams were on SFA's level. Clearly, you skipped over all nuance here.

And St. Anthony's already doubled up on Delbarton this year, so "at best" isn't even factually accurate, let alone subjectively valid.

I'm talking places with regional, comparable demographics and resources. I have huge respect for the people that put out the regional polls, but some of the teams from Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and, as much as it pains me to say, Massachusetts, that get recognized in that fashion would face big matchup issues with programs like Stepinac, Iona Prep, Cardinal Hayes, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Want to see some top 10 NY teams in action. 

I can't ever remember watching any NY teams on TV, stream or in person. Lol. 

Surprised NY doesnt get into the oos craze. Non regional games against comparable opponents. Bishop Timon is the first one and they get shut down a year later. 

Would like to see Cardinal Hayes and St Anthony at some point too. 

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Until the NY privates start playing some of the Sig6 on an annual basis, they'll get no respect or mention from me.

Then don't mention them. Keep the old mouth shut. You say things, backtrack, get caught in your own tangle of words, and still expect to be taken seriously? Not respecting teams that aren't as interested as you are in following your lead is silly. And then saying you won't mention them -- as you mention them -- is weak. Try making a buck on OOS games without being a dick.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

Is this the Yankee version of....Lowndes/Colquitt?

Rufus>>

Not quite - this is the Yankee Catholic School version of Lowndes / Colquitt.  The public school version in my area would be the Rye / Harrison game.  Some background on that here:

http://www.myrye.com/my_weblog/2014/09/ogs-football-history-part-five-the-rye-harrison-rivalry-through-the-years-29-13.html

http://www.news12varsity.com/westchester/rye-vs-harrison-previewing-the-game-1.712430

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theodysseyonline.com/why-the-harrison-vs-rye-game-is-so-much-more-than-just-game.amp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Then don't mention them. Keep the old mouth shut. You say things, backtrack, get caught in your own tangle of words, and still expect to be taken seriously? Not respecting teams that aren't as interested as you are in following your lead is silly. And then saying you won't mention them -- as you mention them -- is weak. Try making a buck on OOS games without being a dick.

Tell us how you really feel.....

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Awesome, man. You KNOW I'm interested, lol. Hendricken hung in there pretty well with Iona Prep last week. Stepinac will be a tough matchup for Xaverian (Mass.) in a few. These teams imo are a lot better than they sometimes get credit for.

Adam, in my honest opinion I don’t believe Stepinac or Iona are as good as last season.  I don’t think Stepinac has the speed this season to mismatch Xavarian and beat them like they did last year. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Adam, in my honest opinion I don’t believe Stepinac or Iona are as good as last season.  I don’t think Stepinac has the speed this season to mismatch Xavarian and beat them like they did last year. 

That's interesting. Well, like in a lot of these OOS games, you give an extra boost to the home team when the other squad is coming off a long trip. Maybe this goes the other way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Want to see some top 10 NY teams in action. 

I can't ever remember watching any NY teams on TV, stream or in person. Lol. 

Surprised NY doesnt get into the oos craze. Non regional games against comparable opponents. Bishop Timon is the first one and they get shut down a year later. 

Would like to see Cardinal Hayes and St Anthony at some point too. 

it was pretty cool back in the day when Brooklyn Poly Prep would make the trip into play Bethlehem Catholic in PA.  They had some nice talent back then (early 2000's).  I haven't heard of them since.

They had a tailback named I. Perfection Harris during one season.  I do remember that one and he was a good one for sure.  The NY guys might know why they fell from the rankings.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

it was pretty cool back in the day when Brooklyn Poly Prep would make the trip into play Bethlehem Catholic in PA.  They had some nice talent back then (early 2000's).  I haven't heard of them since.

They had a tailback named I. Perfection Harris during one season.  I do remember that one and he was a good one for sure.  The NY guys might know why they fell from the rankings.

I. Perfection Harris was the best name going!  Poly Prep had plenty of talent back then, you are correct.   I believe (Do not quote this as gospel, as I am not in the know) coaches / administrators got caught up in some type of sexual assault scandal, the players stopped coming in, and that was all she wrote.  They do have an excellent baseball program, but their football program is very low level at the moment.  

14 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

I. Perfection Harris was the best name going!  Poly Prep had plenty of talent back then, you are correct.   I believe (Do not quote this as gospel, as I am not in the know) coaches / administrators got caught up in some type of sexual assault scandal, the players stopped coming in, and that was all she wrote.  They do have an excellent baseball program, but their football program is very low level at the moment.  

yep they had a really nice quarterback #10, a very very big athletic line, and Harris #1 at tailback.  I saw them two or three seasons in a row against a few teams and they always showed up and played a nice brand of football.

14 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

I thought I read they joined the Metropolitan Independent Football Leage this year.  Very low-level football with other small prep schools (no PGs) in NJ, NY, and CT.

Even as recently as 2015 they were still decent - playing teams like ECA (MD) and Friendship Collegiate (DC) and were winning.  They lost 21-0 to DePaul that year.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

I thought I read they joined the Metropolitan Independent Football Leage this year.  Very low-level football with other small prep schools (no PGs) in NJ, NY, and CT.

Even as recently as 2015 they were still decent - playing teams like ECA (MD) and Friendship Collegiate (DC) and were winning.  They lost 21-0 to DePaul that year.

You are correct.  2014, maybe 2015 was the last year I remember them being any good.  Then again I don’t follow them very closely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Not surprised. Cheating is not just limited to the privates as many surmise. The desire to win can ruin many lives. Everywhere. 

There was no cheating - the kid was injured and only had 13 practices in.  Need 14 to be eligible and staff thought eeey player met the requirement.  He didn’t.  Played a few plays when they were up 35-0.  Not a story

• Thanks 1