OT-Savants and Geniuses

AztecPadre

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm guessing you haven't had a ton of success with girls since you've been pining away for this one for better part of four years? 

Actually I dont need to get laid....

Everybody around here has been catching the F**k me Fever. 

I'd rather not.... 

Im good as is.... 

Work,Study,Eat,Sleep (Pfft). Just keep trucking.... Ive made my bed now I gotta sleep in it.... looks like I'll be sleepin in it by myself for a few more years... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Im good as is.... 

Work,Study,Eat,Sleep (Pfft). Just keep trucking.... Ive made my bed now I gotta sleep in it.... looks like I'll be sleepin in it by myself for a few more years... 

I like that attitude. I commend you for finally telling the girl how you felt, which takes balls. And although I'm sure you know this already, next time you gotta do it right away. 

And between now and when you run into the next one that makes you feel something, keep working on yourself and building up your stock. You'll find someone cool, and when you do, you'll wonder why you were ever so into the last one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Well All jokes aside.... Yea Heartbreak leaves a sour taste in my mouth....

Im not one for romance and feelings of romance are foreign to me. But this is usually what happens when I try.... 

Back to basics..... 

But hey its fine.... 

No wife,No kids. I dont need any of that Im good by myself...

A bachelor forever is what I'll be. 

you are fine today

no longer depressed or upset

you are instead determined 

peace brother, you can pm me if you want

7 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

We should accumulate all your pearls of wisdom and send them over to NYU's Center for Mind, Brain, and Consciousness. Clearly the Professors of Neural Science there are all mixed up and aren't approaching the problem pragmatically.

I am sure most are doing just fine. It's like anything else in life, some people are good at what they do, some not so much. Some stray in application and theory, some not.

As to a meeting, I am heading into NYC today coincidentally to facilitate a meeting in his field tomorrow. Not at NYU but rather uptown, closer to 116th st. ;)

here is the bottom line, you were determined to drag me down a road of annoying, endless, fallacy laden logic while maintaining control of the discussion

I don';t have the patience nor desire to do that.

No big deal,,,, except to you. 

If you want to believe in what ancients did, go right ahead. 

your ancestors in this school even discard the brain after death as it was a useless organ in life, hence not needed in afterlife either. 

Here in the vastness of today's future, I choose to reason, free of fallacy.

peace 

*study this video and you can then get back to me*

if you want to skip the first 8 minutes, that is fine but it serves as a good introduction.

At the 8 minute mark creation is broken down for you. 

hope this helps!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Yea.... honestly relationships arent very important to me... I dont even really communicate with my family that much. And I know thats terrible..... But its true. Ive always had to rely on myself... But she made me feel different..... And even though she broke my heart I still wish her the best.... 

Guess I can go get laid now....

wrong, man is a social animal

relationships are important

relying on oneself is the right attitude but not to the exclusion of relationships.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noonereal said:

As to a meeting, I am heading into NYC today coincidentally to facilitate a meeting in his field tomorrow. Not at NYU but rather uptown, closer to 116th st. ;)

Neat. But don't hold out on us. Are you an expert in his field, or are you an administrative person? 

I'm guessing it's the latter since you're unfamiliar with his work (even though he's easily one of the top 3 most famous and influential people in the field and has been for the better part of twenty years now) and were saddened when you discovered, just yesterday or the day before, that his work is studied at every major English speaking university in the world. 

And tell us how it goes.  

7 hours ago, noonereal said:

If you want to believe in what ancients did, go right ahead.

Yeah, I think the ancients got a lot of things right.

7 hours ago, noonereal said:

wrong, man is a social animal

relationships are important

It sounds like you do too, since Aristotle argued that man was a social animal and that relationships were an essential part of a successful human life.

He was also the first to articulate and defend principles of logic, which I'm sure you know, since you've got such a keen eye for fallacies. 

We don't want to reject a view just because it's old.

9 hours ago, noonereal said:

here is the bottom line, you were determined to drag me down a road of annoying, endless, fallacy laden logic while maintaining control of the discussion

I don';t have the patience nor desire to do that.

No big deal,,,, except to you. 

I thought we were having fun.

13 hours ago, noonereal said:

I am sure most are doing just fine. It's like anything else in life, some people are good at what they do, some not so much. Some stray in application and theory, some not.

I wonder why he's Director of two different major research centers.

I guess his own colleagues fail to recognize that he's not good at his job and that he strays in application and theory. 

NYU, the ANU, Oxford UP, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences have all failed to recognize what you have figured out without even reading his work. 

Maybe you should quit while you're ahead. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, noonereal said:

a concept is physically present in the brain

are you really disputing what brain scans have found in these regards? 

Could it be that what you are referring to is the result of said concepts and not the concept itself?  Same thing with numbers, you can see the brain doing stuff but you can't see the concept.  Or put another way, you don't see the thinker of the thought, just the workings of the result of that thought.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, noonereal said:

Had a long talk about this last night in the real world. Your view, theory, is still being taught (saddened me) alongside my view.

Funny thing was, the student I talked to thought it ridiculous that it was being taught. Obviously that counts for nothing but I did find it interesting that they felt it a waste of class time. 

I'll know more in a few years but as I have expressed, if a mind exists, we will be able to examine it one day, we have simply not yet harvested the tools to examine/discover it. Same with your soul and your God. 

You don't have to bring God into this you know.  Religion should be excluded from this conversation imo. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Idk much about being either one of these. The girl Ive been in love with for so long I Sent her gifts and everything. Unfortunately California is a hop skip and a 2000+Mile trip.... I asked her out and she let me down gently.... 

"We can still be friends"

Man.... This is what I get..... 

Im 5 drinks deep and heartbroken.... 

Idk about being a Savant or a genius.... 

But I can tell ya all about playing the fool...

Im a jack of all trades and a master of none...

You are the master of yourself.  That's a pretty respectable position with unlimited power if you ask me. 

59 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Could it be that what you are referring to is the result of said concepts and not the concept itself?  Same thing with numbers, you can see the brain doing stuff but you can't see the concept. [...]

That's what I'm thinking too.

It's one thing to say that we know what goes on in the brain when we think about numbers. 

It's quite another thing to say that numbers, the things that we're thinking of, are themselves physically located in the brain or are physical parts of the brain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

That's what I'm thinking too.

It's one thing to say that we know what goes on in the brain when we think about numbers. 

It's quite another thing to say that numbers, the things that we're thinking of, are themselves physically located in the brain or are physical parts of the brain.

I also think, even If it can't be proven by scientific means, that these conversations are interesting and I usually learn something I didn't know previously.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, World Citizen said:

You don't have to bring God into this you know.  Religion should be excluded from this conversation imo. 

I agree 100 percent.

21 hours ago, noonereal said:

your ancestors in this school even discard the brain after death as it was a useless organ in life, hence not needed in afterlife either. 

Here in the vastness of today's future, I choose to reason, free of fallacy.

peace 

At the 8 minute mark creation is broken down for you. 

hope this helps!

I don't know who you think my ancestors in the school are supposed to be. 

I guess you think that the mind-brain discussion is somehow a veiled discussion about Christianity or God or something like that, which just shows how misinformed you are.

The traditional Christian view is that you are your body (of which your brain is an important part) and that, at the general resurrection, God reconstitutes the particular body that you are.

The view that the mind and the brain are two different things was not articulated and defended until Descartes in the 17th century. And among his staunches critics was Pierrre Gassendi, a Jesuit priest. 

People talked about souls since antiquity, but mostly the soul was whatever explains or accounts for the life of a body. So plants had souls and dogs had souls and humans had souls etc, since they were all living things. Aristotle, for example, thought that the soul was just the way a particular body of certain kind was organized. So, for that reason, the soul disappeared with the death of the body.

David Chalmers is an atheist who rejects the view that the mind is the brain. Peter van Inwagen of Notre Dame is a Christian who argues that the two are identical. 

Daniel Dennett at Tufts is an atheist who argues that the mind is the brain but who also defends the possibility of life after death, on the traditional Christian view that you are your body and that the relevant information about the particular body that you are could be stored in a super computer. It's just a matter of building computers that can store that much information and developing the technology to grow the kinds of complicated bodies that we are. 

The point is that the mind-brain discussion is about the relationship between the mind and the brain, not God or Christianity.

You're pretending to be a guy who knows what he's talking about. But you don't. And that's fine. But I think you'd have more fun if you stopped pretending. 

And I'm gonna way out on a limb and say that you don't know much about the field of logic either. So settle down with the accusations of logical fallacies. 

20 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Neat. But don't hold out on us. Are you an expert in his field, or are you an administrative person? 

I'm guessing it's the latter since you're unfamiliar with his work (even though he's easily one of the top 3 most famous and influential people in the field and has been for the better part of twenty years now) and were saddened when you discovered, just yesterday or the day before, that his work is studied at every major English speaking university in the world. 

And tell us how it goes.  

I am but a hobbyist. 

the meeting does not include me, I am a facilitator, as I said 

I am glad you are awed by titles, I never have been. In any field. Ever. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I agree 100 percent.

I don't know who you think my ancestors in the school are supposed to be. 

I guess you think that the mind-brain discussion is somehow a veiled discussion about Christianity or God or something like that, which just shows how misinformed you are.

The traditional Christian view is that you are your body (of which your brain is an important part) and that, at the general resurrection, God reconstitutes the particular body that you are.

The view that the mind and the brain are two different things was not articulated and defended until Descartes in the 17th century. And among his staunches critics was Pierrre Gassendi, a Jesuit priest. 

People talked about souls since antiquity, but mostly the soul was whatever explains or accounts for the life of a body. So plants had souls and dogs had souls and humans had souls etc, since they were all living things. Aristotle, for example, thought that the soul was just the way a particular body of certain kind was organized. So, for that reason, the soul disappeared with the death of the body.

David Chalmers is an atheist who rejects the view that the mind is the brain. Peter van Inwagen of Notre Dame is a Christian who argues that the two are identical. 

Daniel Dennett at Tufts is an atheist who argues that the mind is the brain but who also defends the possibility of life after death, on the traditional Christian view that you are your body and that the relevant information about the particular body that you are could be stored in a super computer. It's just a matter of building computers that can store that much information and developing the technology to grow the kinds of complicated bodies that we are. 

The point is that the mind-brain discussion is about the relationship between the mind and the brain, not God or Christianity.

You're pretending to be a guy who knows what he's talking about. But you don't. And that's fine. But I think you'd have more fun if you stopped pretending. 

And I'm gonna way out on a limb and say that you don't know much about the field of logic either. So settle down with the accusations of logical fallacies. 

You keep running to formal education as an endorsement of rightness, intellect and knowledge. You show no uniqueness in this. Few don't. Problem is, often the same titles disagree with one another.

as to Dennett, anything is possible. Not in the way you described early in the thread however. 

By chance, last week I was watched a show  about Alan Turing when it dawned on me that the science of today is always a hindrance on the science of tomorrow. 

I see you fitting this mold well too. 

20 minutes ago, noonereal said:

it dawned on me that the science of today is always a hindrance on the science of tomorrow. 

I see you fitting this mold well too. 

This is ironic since I take it that this is exactly how Chalmers and his ilk feel: the science of today is physicalism, and it's hindering the science of tomorrow, since it's refusing to take seriously certain data, namely, facts about consciousness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

This is ironic since I take it that this is exactly how Chalmers and his ilk feel: the science of today is physicalism, and it's hindering the science of tomorrow, since it's refusing to take seriously certain data, namely, facts about consciousness. 

Cut away your attitude, this has merit.

The last line is simply not true however. 

------------------------------------------

Where is this mind? Is it a gas, mineral, yet to be discovered anomaly?