OT-Savants and Geniuses

AztecPadre

Speaking about non trump supporters, I started remembering the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta and how he became a savant like genius but without being autistic.  Savants for whatever reason can unlock certain parts of their brains that allows them to do extraordinary things like being able to listen to a song once and without any piano training be able to play every note perfectly of the song they just heard.  Or Orlando Serrell who was 10 when he was hit with a baseball in the head and a month later was able to do ridiculous math calculations in his head.  How crazy mysterious is the human brain?  Don't suppose we have some brain surgeons in here? Lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Speaking about non trump supporters, I started remembering the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta and how he became a savant like genius but without being autistic.  Savants for whatever reason can unlock certain parts of their brains that allows them to do extraordinary things like being able to listen to a song once and without any piano training be able to play every note perfectly of the song they just heard.  Or Orlando Serrell who was 10 when he was hit with a baseball in the head and a month later was able to do ridiculous math calculations in his head.  How crazy mysterious is the human brain?  Don't suppose we have some brain surgeons in here? Lol.

I'm not a brain surgeon but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. ?

This is a fascinating topic.  I've read about people w split personalities who are diabetic under one and the second they switch, the new personality doesn't have the disease.  Hows that for power.  Lots of similar examples.  

The brain is a powerful thing but the real power is the mind behind brain.  

That was a good movie too.

This topic has always fascinated me.  Just how powerful is it?  I read where the average person uses something like 10% of their brain.  Well trumpeters more like 2% but I digress  Imagine what the other 90% could bring.  Telekinesis.  Power to heal oneself by just thinking it?  Crazy stuff Im finding right now about the power of the mind. 

• Like 1

If we were able to access just 50% of our brains, then what we consider reality would be totally different, and possibly quite scary.

I'm not sure we will ever access 100% of our brains, at least not without some sort of medication. I guess we, as the human species, could eventually get there with continued evolution. That would take millions of years though. Has anyone read any studies on whether or not, or how much, humans have increased access to their brains over time?

13 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

If we were able to access just 50% of our brains, then what we consider reality would be totally different, and possibly quite scary.

I'm not sure we will ever access 100% of our brains, at least not without some sort of medication. I guess we, as the human species, could eventually get there with continued evolution. That would take millions of years though. Has anyone read any studies on whether or not, or how much, humans have increased access to their brains over time?

what makes you think we don't use 100% of our brains? 

there is no increase of use over time, there was brain growth as needed as an adaptive stratagy

9 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

See now your heading down the path Im on.  Possibilities are endless!!!!  Almost like when you think about what was there before the universe? And what created that? And what created that?  And what created that?  And what created that? O.oO.oO.oO.oO.o

there is no such thing as creation, what was before our universe is still here, it always was and always will be

Birth and death have created an illusion that things have a beginning and end, They do not. Instead they are damned to change. 

• Like 1

Just now, noonereal said:

there is no such thing as creation, what was before our universe is still here, it always was and always will be

Birth and death have created an illusion that things have a beginning and end, They do not. Instead they are damned to change. 

Ok I in no way agree with you on this but thats neither here nor there.  But how can something just always be?  You said what is there has always been there.  How?

27 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Ok I in no way agree with you on this but thats neither here nor there.  But how can something just always be?  You said what is there has always been there.  How?

how could it not be?

Think about it. ;)

Don't feel bad, at one time Stephen Hawking believed information was lost on the event horizon.

I still recall screaming at my TV when he told me that. Guess what he latter recanted and admitted his mistake. 

I felt victorious.

4 minutes ago, noonereal said:

how could it not be?

Think about it. ;)

Don't feel bad, at one time Stephen Hawking believed information was lost on the event horizon.

I still recall screaming at my TV when he told me this, that hew was wrong. Guess what he latter recanted and admitted his mistake. 

Lol.  I hear ya but Im trying to follow your path to get it your line of thought.  Dont answer a question with a question.

• Like 1