On recruiting Georgia (and SEC) kids to play out West...caveat emptor?

maxchoboian

33 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Where should he recruit? I get you don't like the guy, but come on....you are taking this pretty seriously

Last year commits....

Colorado St

Those are his commits.  I'm pretty sure he meant more of where he is offering more so than who commits?  

13 hours ago, badrouter said:

Georgia kids are higher level than Colorado (or neighboring states)..,on average. But those kids aren't going to end up at Colorado State. 

And, they're unlikely to end up at any of the Pac-12 schools. Those schools simply offer an inferior playing experience to what can be found at most every SEC school. This is something folks in traditionally pro sports dominated markets simply don't get. But, the result is that it is very, very rare these days for a true stud to leave the South to go play in the Pac-12. If anyone leaves the amenities and proximity to family and friends to head 2,000 miles away, they probably have some red flags next to their names for one reason or another.

All of which is to say I don't find the original hypothesis to be accurate. It's not lack of mental investment that's leading to disappointment in these players. It's that you're seeing second-rate players if they end up on the west coast nine times out of 10.

Andrew Luck, Leonard Williams, Ronald Jones, Nelson Agahlor, Bryce Love, Solomon Thomas. 

Probably more. Just off the top of my head. 

5 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Those are his commits.  I'm pretty sure he meant more of where he is offering more so than who commits?  

Not sure I follow you.

Colorado St "offers" this year by "state"......this isn't rocket science.

If more Georgia kids want to commit to Colorado St than California kids on a given year so be it. The HC is from Georgia..

bandicam 2018-11-20 12-49-44-265.jpg

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

I'm really missing the "real" point of this thread.......I think I get it, but I ain't buying it.

There was an article written in a local paper about the coach and how much time and how many recruits he spends time with in Georgia. At least one poster early this year said "watch out for Colorado State" because the coach was compiling some "ath-a-letes". So I thought I'd bring up this article.

And then it gave me a chance to use "Deputy Dog". I'm good now. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Not sure I follow you.

Colorado St "offers" this year by "state"......this isn't rocket science.

If more Georgia kids want to commit to Colorado St than California kids on a given year so be it. The HC is from Georgia..

bandicam 2018-11-20 12-49-44-265.jpg

Thanks for the breakdown.  I was just throwing it out there that based on the article his focus is on ga, but really a Colorado State type needs widen that focus. 

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

I was watching game with Univ of Colorado few weeks back and the TV announcer was talking about how Colorado has started recruiting Texas hard again.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2018-Football/Commits/   5 or 6 in the this class

They only have 1 committed from TX for 2019  -  mostly bunch from CA

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

2 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I was watching game with Univ of Colorado few weeks back and the TV announcer was talking about how Colorado has started recruiting Texas hard again.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

Well, the coach was just fired so we'll see what the next guy brings to the recruiting table.

Texas and California have been the bread and butter for Colorado schools for ages. Sprinkle in a few Colorado kids, but Texas and California are the meat of the rosters when the teams are strong. McCartney and his staff did great in TX and CA, and found some gems in NOLA and Detroit too. And, the few Colorado kids with the ability to play at that level stayed home (many more than now).

2 hours ago, mje44 said:

Andrew Luck, Leonard Williams, Ronald Jones, Nelson Agahlor, Bryce Love, Solomon Thomas. 

Probably more. Just off the top of my head. 

It's still very rare. "Rare" doesn't mean "never". Point is, of all of the recruits in SEC country over the last 10 years to be targeted by Pac-12 schools (any west region school not in the Pac-12 is completely insignificant in the national recruiting scene), less than 5% ended up heading west. And of those that came, there was almost always some question mark about them back in their home states. Of course, sometimes those guys still emerge as stars. But the odds aren't as great as they are for others. 

On 11/20/2018 at 1:18 PM, badrouter said:

It's still very rare. "Rare" doesn't mean "never". Point is, of all of the recruits in SEC country over the last 10 years to be targeted by Pac-12 schools (any west region school not in the Pac-12 is completely insignificant in the national recruiting scene), less than 5% ended up heading west. And of those that came, there was almost always some question mark about them back in their home states. Of course, sometimes those guys still emerge as stars. But the odds aren't as great as they are for others. 

That’s fair & I see what your saying 

And then there's also this factor:

Pedigree and Winning History. 

When is the last time a Pac-12 team did anything significant? 

What has a Pac-12 team done that would make a Athlete from say Georgia or Florida wanna go play for a team like USC,UCLA or Arizona? 

When you can stay down here and play for teams with a winning pedigree like Alabama,Miami,Georgia,FSU  or LSU... 

I couldn't in good conscience list Miami with a straight Face... But ya see what I'm getting at?

• 2 weeks later...