On recruiting Georgia (and SEC) kids to play out West...caveat emptor?

maxchoboian

A few weeks ago I saw this column below questioning Colorado State coach Mike Bobo's strategy of focusing his recruiting efforts on his familiar home state of Georgia and the southeast. No question there are many talented players in the region, but can simply recruiting talent be a detriment, particularly if the players from far away have little pride in their team? I think SportsNut said early this year to watch out for Colorado State, and when asked what his reasoning was, he said because of the kids Bobo has been bringing in over the last few years -- SEC athletes who were gonna show some thick-ankled ranchers in the Mountain West how to ball. As the article says, some of the recruits have panned out, but many have not. Opposing fans have questioned the fight in these superior athletes.

Was Grayson's performance against BC somewhat similar to the Colorado State dilemma? Maybe, maybe not. Interesting article.

(since the article, CSU has lost their next two games, including a 39-point loss at the hands of the 7-4 Nevada Wolfpack)

Should Mike Bobo change?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

A few weeks ago I saw this column below questioning Colorado State coach Mike Bobo's strategy of focusing his recruiting efforts on his familiar home state of Georgia and the southeast. No question there are many talented players in the region, but can simply recruiting talent be a detriment, particularly if the players from far away have little pride in their team? I think SportsNut said early this year to watch out for Colorado State, and when asked what his reasoning was, he said because of the kids Bobo has been bringing in over the last few years -- SEC athletes who were gonna show some thick-ankled ranchers in the Mountain West how to ball. As the article says, some of the recruits have panned out, but many have not. Opposing fans have questioned the fight in these superior athletes.

Was Grayson's performance against BC somewhat similar to the Colorado State dilemma? Maybe, maybe not. Interesting article.

(since the article, CSU has lost their next two games, including a 39-point loss at the hands of the 7-4 Nevada Wolfpack)

Should Mike Bobo change?

He is probably taking chances on kids now in hopes that it leads to better kids down the road.

23 minutes ago, Texasball said:

He is probably taking chances on kids now in hopes that it leads to better kids down the road.

He took over a team that was 10-3 in 2014.

Not sure if the strategy is working, based on his record:

2015     7-6     lost in Arizona Bowl

2016     7-6     lost in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

2017     7-6     lost in New Mexico Bowl

2018     3-8     won't even be going to the Famous Potato Bowl

The point is, again, that he is being questioned for having more Georgia/SEC country (and fewer Colorado) players on his roster than any coach ever has in the school's history. There's a chance some kids from the southeast are being told they can matriculate to another region of the country and win by just showing up. And it seems some are not too sure how to react to other players/teams who haven't read the southeastern players' press clippings.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

He took over a team that was 10-3 in 2014.

Not sure if the strategy is working, based on his record:

2015     7-6     lost in Arizona Bowl

2016     7-6     lost in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

2017     7-6     lost in New Mexico Bowl

2018     3-8     won't even be going to the Famous Potato Bowl

The point is, again, that he is being questioned for having more Georgia/SEC country (and fewer Colorado) players on his roster than any coach ever has in the school's history. There's a chance some kids from the southeast are being told they can matriculate to another region of the country and win by just showing up. And it seems some are not too sure how to react to other players/teams who haven't read the southeastern players' press clippings.

I can’t agree more.  They only become SEC players when they actually sign at those schools.   The SEC has good players not from SEC country.

• Like 1

I think there is something to the state pride thing, just like I believe there is something to the community pride thing and even closer in, the school pride thing.

Idk if it's the reason that Colorado State is struggling, but, it certainly could contribute to it. It truly probably is more on the coaching than anything else though. 

Interesting take from the writer. 

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Might need some new and improved asst coaches.....don't follow the Rams close enough to know.

That’s what it sounds like.  When a school / coaching staff recruits a kid it is up to them to provide the experience / guidance needed.  That’s what they all promise while recruiting at least.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

I Don’t know much about the rams myself but I do know that Qb Stevens last year was a stud and Michael Gallup (cowboys) was a beast in college. They were putting up serious points last year. 

Not surprising with both of them gone, Colorado state struggling. 

But they were only 7-6 with those stubs and beasts. I'm not as concerned about this year's record (although it's pretty bad), but am more concerned with mediocrity year after year. Bobo had been 7-6 three years in a row, with bowl losses all three. And he again has 100 offers out to southeastern players, including 29 from Georgia. Not sure they agree with the altitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Odds are, any kid leaving SEC country for Colorado St. isn't anywhere near SEC-caliber. So, he's getting mostly low level players, not SEC players.

I agree. Then why recruit there so heavily?

To answer my own question, it is most likely because Bobo was raised in Georgia, played for Georgia, and coached for Georgia. So he is convinced Georgia kids are higher-level and has focused heavily on them. But, it doesn't appear to be working. Otherwise, the team would be playing for the Mountain West championship year in and year out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Might need some new and improved asst coaches.....don't follow the Rams close enough to know.

Very well could be. I'm not really familiar with assistant coaches at any school, except maybe Alabama. Anyway, a quick glance at the Bios of the top 3 assistants at Colorado State shows that they are dudes with backgrounds from...Georgia.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

To answer my own question, it is most likely because Bobo was raised in Georgia, played for Georgia, and coached for Georgia. So he is convinced Georgia kids are higher-level and has focused heavily on them. But, it doesn't appear to be working. Otherwise, the team would be playing for the Mountain West championship year in and year out.

Georgia kids are higher level than Colorado (or neighboring states)..,on average. But those kids aren't going to end up at Colorado State. 

And, they're unlikely to end up at any of the Pac-12 schools. Those schools simply offer an inferior playing experience to what can be found at most every SEC school. This is something folks in traditionally pro sports dominated markets simply don't get. But, the result is that it is very, very rare these days for a true stud to leave the South to go play in the Pac-12. If anyone leaves the amenities and proximity to family and friends to head 2,000 miles away, they probably have some red flags next to their names for one reason or another.

All of which is to say I don't find the original hypothesis to be accurate. It's not lack of mental investment that's leading to disappointment in these players. It's that you're seeing second-rate players if they end up on the west coast nine times out of 10.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Not sure they agree with the altitude.

I ran a 5:30 mile in 8th grade 

i didnt run track in hs so wasn’t timed again until 1st day of practice at CC In Colorado Springs after I arrived from west coast day prior 

I ran a 7:30 mile and I needed an ambulance afterward 

i think it took a couple of weeks to adjust 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

5DCF38B1-E6C9-46A0-A665-38B2FB784940.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, maxchoboian said:

Should Mike Bobo change?

it's not working for him.  He is closer to the west coast and like you said, how much will the kids care about CSU when they are so far away from home and were most likely not heavily recruited by the SEC since they would end up at CSU.  I say one has to recruit the whole nation, otherwise hire yourself some better recruiters. 

47 minutes ago, Pops said:

Cmon Man

Busting chops with a quote out of context — the punchline was how much slower I was when I hit altitude 

if I want to brag I’ll post pics of Ny Johnson or wallet not my junior high mile Times 

I was impressed by your speed, not calling you out for bragging or busting your chops. Don’t be sensitive, fella 

7 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

it's not working for him.  He is closer to the west coast and like you said, how much will the kids care about CSU when they are so far away from home and were most likely not heavily recruited by the SEC since they would end up at CSU.  I say one has to recruit the whole nation, otherwise hire yourself some better recruiters. 

I think it is a mistake to take your first head coaching job and spend an inordinate amount of time recruiting a region 2000 miles away. Plus, I think the coach is a doofus. I know some on here from Georgia think highly of the guy, but he reminds me of Deputy Dog.

image.jpeg.60cbf4483d0932ac75f65b6d01d6a7ed.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I think it is a mistake to take your first head coaching job and spend an inordinate amount of time recruiting a region 2000 miles away. Plus, I think the coach is a doofus. I know some on here from Georgia think highly of the guy, but he reminds me of Deputy Dog.

Where should he recruit? I get you don't like the guy, but come on....you are taking this pretty seriously

Last year commits....

Colorado St