Refs taking Zags out of the game already. SMH.

954gator

4 hours ago, thc6795 said:

This is the worst yr i have seen. Dont want to hear horrible on both sides. Horrible is horrible. Notice no replay if Collins 5th foul? Refs controlled entire 2nd half.

the media is now covering for the refs too? O.o

is UNC a left wing team? 

---------------------------------------

Come on, last week the Kentucky, UNC game was the national championship game, as I posted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Let's not forget that UNC was gifted the game in the final seconds against Arkansas due to a bad call (or lack thereof). They should have been put out a few rounds ago.

Against Oregon as well. Overall the refs were horrible the entire tournament.

5 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Against Oregon as well. Overall the refs were horrible the entire tournament.

I agree. With that being said, this is a trend in nearly every basketball game I've ever watched. Too much subjectivity in the sport when it comes to enforcing the rules. What seems like a foul to one ref may not be seen the same as a another ref on the very same court.

• Like 1

The number of fouls and whistles made for a choppy, average, free-throw shooting contest of a game. Which probably benefited Gonzaga, because although I was pulling for the Zags, North Carolina was too long for Zarnowski and Williams-Goss. Those are the premier scorers for Gonzaga, and both their shots were affected by the long arms of the UNC defense. Shots were blocked early, contested all night, and other than a couple buckets, those two couldn't get it going.

54 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

The number of fouls and whistles made for a choppy, average, free-throw shooting contest of a game. Which probably benefited Gonzaga, because although I was pulling for the Zags, North Carolina was too long for Zarnowski and Williams-Goss. Those are the premier scorers for Gonzaga, and both their shots were affected by the long arms of the UNC defense. Shots were blocked early, contested all night, and other than a couple buckets, those two couldn't get it going.

Yes without Collins in the game they struggled to get boards, but with Collins in the game they looked like the better team IMO.  Collins cancelled out the advantages UNC had, but wasn't really in the game because of the fouls.    In the 14 minutes he played he had 3 blocks 7 boards (3 offensive), 9 points, and a steal.    Not to mention of those 14 minutes, maybe 5 of them were with 4 fouls already, which takes away a player's defensive intensity.  

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I agree that the refs made the game about them.  No flow, ticky tack fouls.  Game still could have been won by either team.  The team I feel bad for is Oregon.  That was a painful way to lose a game, on 2 offensive rebounds off FT.

Oregon still would have had to hit a shot at the buzzer, which isn't a given. I certainly thought they were guaranteed that shot, though.

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I think BBall refs have the hardest job in sports.  Gauranteed to make half the people in the building mad at you with every call.  I think that it should be an obvious foul and I think that they see there are arms flying all over and assume a foul occured.

Karnowski was called for an offensive foul on an off-ball pick during Gonzaga's first possession of the game. That is never a good omen for how the game will be officiated.

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

Karnowski was called for an offensive foul on an off-ball pick during Gonzaga's first possession of the game. That is never a good omen for how the game will be officiated.

Yeah they sucked and controlled the game.  Probably worst officiating I've seen since last time I fouled out.  Guy had it in for me.?

11 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Yeah they sucked and controlled the game.  Probably worst officiating I've seen since last time I fouled out.  Guy had it in for me.?

Last time I fouled out was the last organized basketball game I ever played. And I was called for an offensive foul on an off-ball pick during our first possession of the game. And it was the state championship game my senior year in high school. Same result for us as Gonzaga, although a kid on the other team hit 2 free throws to beat us by 1. Sucked alright.

• Like 1