Change in culture turned St. John Bosco into a national powerhouse

BobbySanchez

5 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Those teams would give any team trouble.

St. John gave Re-Al trouble, DJ not so much, as Bosco scored easily on the two drives he orchestrated against them(Kind of easy to defend  an offense with a QB that can't throw the ball farther than 10 yards if you can't push the other team around upfront. This has been STA the last couple of years)

Yes, I remember very clearly everybody was in complete shock the whole game between St.Johns and SJB. SJB was trailing the whole game at one point by two scores and never once had the lead. Until DJ came in the last minute and drove down the field and won them game easily. SJB the whole game was held under 20 but with a few minutes left DJ scored twice. 

There is a reason why QBs are the highest paid, the whole team sort of revolves around how well the QB is.

DJ could have thrown, ran the ball with his size, or handed it off to his backs. They didn't become one dimensional anymore. St.Johns defense needed to backoff and needed to respect the offense more. This threw them into confusion and why SJB scored.

I'm telling you man, that DJ kid is scary good. He's better than Josh Rosen was in HS and he is an NFL QB starter. :)

SJB now and from this point on is like STA back in their days when they destroyed everybody. They literally recruits the whole state of California from tens of different counties in places like LA, Long Beach, Carson, Compton, etc.

SJB now is the team other teams around the state must play to see THEIR benchmark. Before, SJB was the one doing it but they have now earned that title.

It was the same before with STA.

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

And yet the claim was he was the reason SJB couldn't do much offensively vs. STA and SJC. Yet they had just scored 49, 42 and 56 vs. Corona Centennial, Mater Dei and De La Salle, respectively en route to the Open Bowl title with him as QB. Clearly, having him as the QB was NOT going to keep them from putting up a boatload of points vs. the relatively-average-in-athleticism defenses they faced most weeks.

I think the claim that Bosco couldn't do much with him(Re-Al) vs St. John was proven true when DJ led two scores in his only two drives he led.  Similar to Riley Dodge leading SLC to two scoring drives vs Abilene and then going down. 

In that 2017 season, they did the following with Mitchell as QB on offense:

Week 1, STA: 3 points for the game, including an OT session

Weeks 2-4, vs. California opponents, all of whom played in the playoffs that season: 163 points, good for 54 ppg.

Week 5, SJC: 0 points at halftime, 7 points through 3+ quarters trailing by 10. And then Uiagalelei leads two scoring drives to rescue the win.

No problem lighting up the scoreboard against teams with average athleticism using Mitchell at QB, and then rather dreadful performances against stacked defenses.

STA and SJC are considered top 25 teams in the country(STA is a top 10 defense annually).  You're rarely going to move the ball on teams of that quality being one dimensional. 

I don't doubt SJB outmanned the teams they beat with Mitchell as QB. My point is that there are teams across the country, several of whom may not really even be known or spoken of on this board, who would NOT be outmanned in this way. And I'm talking about the quality of players and athletes some of these teams have now, not what the players are projected to look like after several years of growth, weight training, dieting, etc.

Once again, if they're one dimensional,  I agree, but if they can sling the ball around they'll put up at least 20 against anyone.  SJB was similar to STA with Re-Al at QB. Good athletes everywhere,   but the QB can't get them the ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

SJB now and from this point on is like STA back in their days when they destroyed everybody. They literally recruits the whole state of California from tens of different counties in places like LA, Long Beach, Carson, Compton, etc.

SJB now is the team other teams around the state must play to see THEIR benchmark. Before, SJB was the one doing it but they have now earned that title.

It was the same before with STA.

A key difference is there aren't nearly as many quick/fast/awesome athletes per capita in SoCal as there are in Dade/Broward counties. And per capita is the best way to look at this, because schools are dependent on players who live close enough to reasonably commute. You have to cast a much wider(farther) net to capture the same number of fast athletes in California than you do in Dade/Broward. *It should be noted that you could substitute any other area in the place of California and the statement would still be true.

35 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

It remains significant that SJB WAS able to move the ball and score-nearly at will- vs. CC, Mater Dei and DLS, with Mitchell at QB. That clearly does suggest that the defenses at SJC and STA were on another level compared to CC, MD and DLS. Maybe that's obvious to many...

7 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Re-al didn't win a state championship, the offensive line and defense did. The MD-SJB game was run left, and run right all game long(376 rushing yards on the night, and only 87 passing yards). Anyone could've QB'd that game for Bosco that could hand the ball off.

Against DLS, DLS was outmatched everywhere, once again, SJB could've put anyone behind center and won.

Wow! This is really sad. 

2 hours ago, bigrobstercraws said:

LOL

Some Cali guys.Re-al was a great running QB. A not so good passing QB. This was even during his state title run. That's what he was. 

He lost me on QB1. I thought he was a douche on QB1. So did his teammates. You could tell in how they treated him, especially when he lost his spot. But, even before like when some guys refused to include him in on a handshake. 

Well some of y'all are really making it seem like he didn't do shit that year SJB won it all. Then, as soon as SJB goes down to STA, he's the problem. Wtf?

On QB1, shit didn't start going left until after the STA game. And did you not see how much influence his dad had on his future at SJB? The coaches most likely had ulterior motives from the jump. 

22 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

And did you not see how much influence his dad had on his future at SJB? The coaches most likely had ulterior motives from the jump. 

Since you have such a strong opinion, can you suggest what those ulterior motives may have been as you see them?

9 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Since you have such a strong opinion, can you suggest what those ulterior motives may have been as you see them?

We have this up and coming man child of a quarterback in the reigns, and we feel like he'll take us to the next level. Even tho Re-al has done some really good things for us, we're not gonna be that patient with him. He has very little room for error before we kick his ass to the curb for DJ. Guess what happened? 

Just now, FootballGuy said:

We have this up and coming man child of a quarterback in the reigns, and we feel like he'll take us to the next level. Even tho Re-al has done some really good things for us, we're not gonna be that patient with him. He has very little room for error before we kick his ass to the curb for DJ. Guess what happened? 

So is that fundamentally wrong?  Isn’t it a coaches job to position his team to have the best chance of success given the dynamic nature of the conditions he is faced with?   

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

It remains significant that SJB WAS able to move the ball and score-nearly at will- vs. CC, Mater Dei and DLS, with Mitchell at QB. That clearly does suggest that the defenses at SJC and STA were on another level compared to CC, MD and DLS. Maybe that's obvious to many...

That would be a true statement if 2016 SJB and 2017 SJB weren't two different teams. SJB was much better upfront in 2016 than in 2017.

Unfortunately for Bosco, they didn't have Wyatt Davis(Nor 3 of the 5 starting lineman) to run behind in 2017. Something they pretty much did to Mater Dei all game long in the division 1 championship

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, On2whls said:

So is that fundamentally wrong?  Isn’t it a coaches job to position his team to have the best chance of success given the dynamic nature of the conditions he is faced with?   

Yes, but why in the hell would they wanna do away with him after a successful season? It's like they were looking to replace him at any given moment, and we saw a lot of that during and after the STA game. Like come on! It's ONE GAME.....and you're already coming up with excuses to replace him? Nah..... 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Well some of y'all are really making it seem like he didn't do shit that year SJB won it all. Then, as soon as SJB goes down to STA, he's the problem. Wtf?

On QB1, shit didn't start going left until after the STA game. And did you not see how much influence his dad had on his future at SJB? The coaches most likely had ulterior motives from the jump. 

He took snaps. He did nothing for SJB during his tenure to help achieve anything that any other mediocre H.S. QB couldn't have done.

He was a very mediocre H.S. QB but he had speed which helps immensely against most H.S.

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Yes, but why in the hell would they wanna do away with him after a successful season? It's like they were looking to replace him at any given moment, and we saw a lot of that during and after the STA game. Like come on! It's ONE GAME.....and you're already coming up with excuses to replace him? Nah..... 

SJB had successful seasons the prior 4 years(Before Re-Al)

Like the back up is a real QB, and has a lot more upside and was a better QB at the time. Re-Al started because he was a senior that was returning, but at no point in that season was he a better QB.

• Like 2

What happened was Re-al & DJ were still going to battle for PT for the Mater Dei game before daddy pulled Re-al with a fake shoulder injury. Little room for error? Had Re-al won practice like the previous week, he would have started the MD game too. 

The fact is a blind man could see the Bosco offense was much better with DJ at QB. That's why the QB competition opened up. 

7 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

The offense was world's better with DJ at QB. Without DJ, they lose vs. SJC. 

His dad is the worst type of sports dad. Youth sports suck when adults get too involved. 

I lost a player once when I coached frosh ball because his dad, who never even played HS football was super sports dad. I kicked his ass off my practice field after a good public cussing out. I was rather impressed with my creative profanity. 

15 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

His dad is the worst type of sports dad. Youth sports suck when adults get too involved. 

I lost a player once when I coached frosh ball because his dad, who never even played HS football was super sports dad. I kicked his ass off my practice field after a good public cussing out. I was rather impressed with my creative profanity. 

What was your record that year?

47 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

He took snaps. He did nothing for SJB during his tenure to help achieve anything that any other mediocre H.S. QB couldn't have done.

He was a very mediocre H.S. QB but he had speed which helps immensely against most H.S.

So was tate martell a mediocre quarterback? Because the main things he did was run and make those something out of nothing plays.

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

So was tate martell a mediocre quarterback? Because the main things he did was run and make those something out of nothing plays.

Martell actually made plays with his arm. If you switch Martell with Re-Al in 2016, SJB beats Gorman. That was the difference in those two teams that year.