Change in culture turned St. John Bosco into a national powerhouse

BobbySanchez

6 hours ago, badrouter said:

I'm not sure about all of them, but the 3* senior RB Jones listed on 247 has a 40 time of 4.76. Now, relative to most HS RBs, there's nothing slow about that, indeed. And, the defenses he figures to face most weeks (they don't play Mater Dei most weeks) in California don't figure to be extremely fast. So, we have every reason to believe he will post huge numbers, especially given the up-tempo offense with the gunslinger at QB. But, at 4.76, he likely would be slower than any of the players in the back seven on any/all of the elite defenses in Florida. 

SJB sophomore RB just set the California Freshmen record for the 100

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

How much of him will we see on the football field?

SJB is not really a team that relies heavily on the run, at least not with their 5 Star 6'5 240 pound QB at the helm. Probably not as much as you'd want, because SJB has the most talented WR Corps and QB in their school program. They are so loaded this season it's kind of scary. Every single California team refused to play SJB this season. Hell Bishop Gorman even refused to ever play their program again. That's why they got 5 OOS games this year

37 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

SJB is not really a team that relies heavily on the run, at least not with their 5 Star 6'5 240 pound QB at the helm. Probably not as much as you'd want, because SJB has the most talented WR Corps and QB in their school program. They are so loaded this season it's kind of scary. Every single California team refused to play SJB this season. Hell Bishop Gorman even refused to ever play their program again. That's why they got 5 OOS games this year

I wasn't saying they aren't good. They're obviously very good. They just don't appear to have the quickness and explosiveness at the offensive skill positions that one might assume given the points they figure to put up. There are a few bad match ups out there for them across the country (which they seem to avoid unless Dematha is vastly improved). That's not saying much of anything of interest as all or most all teams also could find teams that would present significant issues for them. But, I do think the idea that they are unquestionably head and shoulders above everyone beyond Mater Dei (may prove to be vastly overrated in 2019) and IMG, St Frances is plenty debatable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I wasn't saying they aren't good. They're obviously very good. They just don't appear to have the quickness and explosiveness at the offensive skill positions that one might assume given the points they figure to put up. There are a few bad match ups out there for them across the country (which they seem to avoid unless Dematha is vastly improved). That's not saying much of anything of interest as all or most all teams also could find teams that would present significant issues for them. But, I do think the idea that they are unquestionably head and shoulders above everyone beyond Mater Dei (may prove to be vastly overrated in 2019) and IMG, St Frances is plenty debatable. 

Hmmm. I don't really know how to respond to this, because SJB is not really a team that matches up poorly with anybody. Teams like DLS, Don Bosco because of their play style and offense (pounding the rock and being physical) it depends on how well the other teams front 7 is for example their success matches differently with other teams.

Last season, we saw Mater Dei be the only team in a long ass time defeat IMG which claimed so many victories from the best teams in California, Florida, Texas, New Jersey, I mean every state you name it. IMG, as much as we love to hate them is the benchmark for that elite status And then SJB destroyed that same MD team except more talented (they were missing their 4 Star WR against the IMG game, he played against SJB) with the score of 41-18.

Assuming you're a Florida guy, I can understand why you might feel that way about SJB when they played STA. SJB in 2017 when they played STA and St.Johns College was kind of weird for me...because during both of those games they used their backup QB for those games and he threw 3 INTS against St,Johns College and 2 INTS against STA and they didn't use the actual starter (the 5 Star kid I told you about above). The backup QB was like this 5'10 160 pound kid he just seemed lost during those games.

Both those games SJB looked really flat and awful against those two OOS teams I agree. But that's not actually SJB's full power or the team I am used to seeing. SJB's backup QB that season caused a lot of chaos and drama within their program that season due to out of control egos and even leading to a 4 Star WR quitting the team during that season.

52 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Hmmm. I don't really know how to respond to this, because SJB is not really a team that matches up poorly with anybody. Teams like DLS, Don Bosco because of their play style and offense (pounding the rock and being physical) it depends on how well the other teams front 7 is for example their success matches differently with other teams.

Last season, we saw Mater Dei be the only team in a long ass time defeat IMG which claimed so many victories from the best teams in California, Florida, Texas, New Jersey, I mean every state you name it. IMG, as much as we love to hate them is the benchmark for that elite status And then SJB destroyed that same MD team except more talented (they were missing their 4 Star WR against the IMG game, he played against SJB) with the score of 41-18.

Assuming you're a Florida guy, I can understand why you might feel that way about SJB when they played STA. SJB in 2017 when they played STA and St.Johns College was kind of weird for me...because during both of those games they used their backup QB for those games, not the actual starter (the 5 Star kid I told you about above) and both those games SJB looked really flat and awful against those two OOS teams I agree. But that's not actually SJB's full power or the team I am used to seeing. SJB's backup QB that season caused a lot of chaos and drama within their program that season due to out of control egos and even leading to a 4 Star WR quitting the team during that season.

That's a rather unfortunate mischaracterization of the circumstances. Re-al Mitchell was THE starter for SJB. He had just led the team to an Open Bowl title, going 18-20 with two TDs in putting up 56 points in a route of DLS. That was the next game after Mitchell led SJB to 42 points in a win over Mater Dei. Game before that, he put up over 400 yards of offense by himself in a win over CC. He was THE guy going into 2017. Indeed, he was more of an athlete playing QB. And, the offense wasn't putting up the kinds of numbers they wanted against the very fast defenses at STA and St. John's.  Uiagalelei came off the bench to rally SJB to a win over SJC. Even after that, there were mixed signals coming out of the SJB camp, with the public line being Mitchell was merely hurt for the Mater Dei game, but some feeling it was unfair to Mitchell for them to start Uiagalelei. John Jackson spoke at length about this during the broadcast. Ultimately, it appeared the staff recognized the higher ceiling for Uiagalelei and wanted to move on with him.

STA and St. John's would be examples of teams that would give SJB trouble, as they in fact did. Really, exceptionally fast and athletic teams that also have size in the trenches. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

Assuming you're a Florida guy, I can understand why you might feel that way about SJB when they played STA. SJB in 2017 when they played STA and St.Johns College was kind of weird for me...because during both of those games they used their backup QB for those games and he threw 3 INTS against St,Johns College and 2 INTS against STA and they didn't use the actual starter (the 5 Star kid I told you about above). The backup QB was like this 5'10 160 pound kid he just seemed lost during those games.

Both those games SJB looked really flat and awful against those two OOS teams I agree. But that's not actually SJB's full power or the team I am used to seeing. SJB's backup QB that season caused a lot of chaos and drama within their program that season due to out of control egos and even leading to a 4 Star WR quitting the team during that season.

You are putting way too much stock in a “Fluke Score” over MD in a game that was “No Lose”.... Great teams can have an off night and MD was overconfident against SJB because of their win over IMG.... Unfortunately for MD when you are “Overconfident” against the talent of SJB you can’t just “out talent” your way to a win.... They learned their lesson as shown by the way they shut down the #1 QB in the country when all the money was on the table.... That is the real MD that showed up, the one that shut out BG and Beat IMG....

As far as SJB vs STA, that game was on Bosco and their coaches... They couldn’t do anything against STA and Negro couldn’t figure it out.... You can’t sit here and say “We would have” because if Negro thought DJ was ready, he would have been in the game because we could all see SJB had nothing going on Offense and all you needed was a TD to win that awful offensive game.... This was Bosco’s “Full Power of a Team” because that’s what the coaches actions said....

Hoping for SJB to rep Cali great in OOS this year, but I do believe MD will sweep SJB because MD is motivated to prove last years League game was a “Fluke”....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ararar said:

If by human nature you mean it’s not fair they are winning and we’re not I agree with you 

No, it's human nature to want to be the best at something. 

Then, once a human realizes that the rules aren't set up fairly for them to compete, let alone be the best, the nature of being a human is to complain and attempt to get a more fair situation. 

I think you understand. 

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

That's a rather unfortunate mischaracterization of the circumstances. Re-al Mitchell was THE starter for SJB. He had just led the team to an Open Bowl title, going 18-20 with two TDs in putting up 56 points in a route of DLS. That was the next game after Mitchell led SJB to 42 points in a win over Mater Dei. Game before that, he put up over 400 yards of offense by himself in a win over CC. He was THE guy going into 2017. Indeed, he was more of an athlete playing QB. And, the offense wasn't putting up the kinds of numbers they wanted against the very fast defenses at STA and St. John's.  Uiagalelei came off the bench to rally SJB to a win over SJC. Even after that, there were mixed signals coming out of the SJB camp, with the public line being Mitchell was merely hurt for the Mater Dei game, but some feeling it was unfair to Mitchell for them to start Uiagalelei. John Jackson spoke at length about this during the broadcast. Ultimately, it appeared the staff recognized the higher ceiling for Uiagalelei and wanted to move on with him.

STA and St. John's would be examples of teams that would give SJB trouble, as they in fact did. Really, exceptionally fast and athletic teams that also have size in the trenches. 

You bring up very good points. I watched all of SJB including Mitchell's starts they are close to where I live lol.

If I'm being completely honest, DJ as a freshman should have been brought up as the starting QB. Re-al Mitchell as freak as a runner he is couldn't play QB at all man. SJB's offensive line that was behind Mitchell all were 6'4ish 300+lbs and almost all of them were D-1 studs and they had that monster 5 Star right tackle Wyatt Davis whose dad played in the NFL. The playbook surrounding Mitchell was literally just runs and bubble screens, their entire offense was limited because he just couldn't throw. 

DJ could have very well could have been kind like of like Jabrill Peppers in Don Bosco starting both ways as a freshman and boosting them to a MNC, I don't think I'm being biased at all but if DJ started all their games I think the only loss they would have was to Bishop Gorman's 2016 MNC team. That game should been closer but like I said, Mitchell cost the team a lot of turnovers...and when the other team knows your QB can't throw it's very easy for the other teams defense to keep you one dimensional. STA, MD, St.Johns, BG, all did that to Mitchell

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

No, it's human nature to want to be the best at something. 

Then, once a human realizes that the rules aren't set up fairly for them to compete, let alone be the best, the nature of being a human is to complain and attempt to get a more fair situation. 

I think you understand. 

Lol you just said exactly what I said 

they are winning and we are not 😂

any grown man that falls on the it’s not fair sword 🗡 sounds like a whining child.

Does everyone know the rules before a season starts? Ok then why would you whine ? As I have said if you’re happy with how your school is operating don’t worry about anyone else 

4 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

You bring up very good points. I watched all of SJB including Mitchell's starts they are close to where I live lol.

If I'm being completely honest, DJ as a freshman should have been brought up as the starting QB. Re-al Mitchell as freak as a runner he is couldn't play QB at all man. SJB's offensive line that was behind Mitchell all were 6'4ish 300+lbs and almost all of them were D-1 studs and they had that monster 5 Star right tackle Wyatt Davis whose dad played in the NFL. The playbook surrounding Mitchell was literally just runs and bubble screens, their entire offense was limited because he just couldn't throw. 

DJ could have very well could have been kind like of like Jabrill Peppers in Don Bosco starting both ways as a freshman and boosting them to a MNC, I don't think I'm being biased at all but if DJ started all their games I think the only loss they would have was to Bishop Gorman's 2016 MNC team. That game should been closer but like I said, Mitchell cost the team a lot of turnovers...and when the other team knows your QB can't throw it's very easy for the other teams defense to keep you one dimensional. STA, MD, St.Johns, BG, all did that to Mitchell

I am curious, are you DJ’s Offical “Hype-man”??...🤣🤣🤣

I am not sure what SJB team you have watched the last 5 years, but in reality, other then DLS 2 Times in State Bowl Games, where is the “Big Time” Meaningful win’s for SJB?....

In the Big OOS games I can remember SJB is 1-2, losing to BG and STA and beating a SJC team that lost to a DLS team that couldn’t even pass the ball... DLS had a safety or wide receiver playing QB and put up 35 points on that team, SJB (With DJ) could only muster 21....

Since MD joined the Arms Race, SJB is 0-2 in CIF title games and 1-1 in league title games, that’s 1-3 against MD, 1-2 OOS, if you add the 2 SBG wins over DLS we are talking 4-5 in “Big Time” games in the All Star Era....

In your opinion DJ should have started as a freshman, but the coaches didn’t think he was ready for a reason... DJ has had 2 shots at CIF and State Titles and didn’t come through either time.... 

He still has a ways to go... Last years Schedule was so Awful it told us nothing other then SJB can beat a bunch of over matched teams and an overconfident MD team....

DJ will have his 3rd shot this year to win A state and National Title Like Rosen won, Mitchell won (League, CIF, State Title) and BY of MD won Last year (CIF, State and National Title)... Untill he does though, The “Bosco Would Have If DJ Started” argument is pretty ridiculous....

The Dude hasn’t won anything yet other then 1 league title....

5 hours ago, badrouter said:

It's crazy howquick the Cali guys turned their back on Re-al after losing the STA game, huh? Smh. This was the same guy who just won them a state championship in the previous season, too. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

It's crazy howquick the Cali guys turned their back on Re-al after losing the STA game, huh? Smh. This was the same guy who just won them a state championship in the previous season, too. 

Re-al didn't win a state championship, the offensive line and defense did. The MD-SJB game was run left, and run right all game long(376 rushing yards on the night, and only 87 passing yards). Anyone could've QB'd that game for Bosco that could hand the ball off.

Against DLS, DLS was outmatched everywhere, once again, SJB could've put anyone behind center and won.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, badrouter said:

Those teams would give any team trouble.

St. John gave Re-Al trouble, DJ not so much, as Bosco scored easily on the two drives he orchestrated against them(Kind of easy to defend  an offense with a QB that can't throw the ball farther than 10 yards if you can't push the other team around upfront. This has been STA the last couple of years)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Re-al didn't win a state championship, the offensive line and defense did. The MD-SJB game was run left, and run right all game long(376 rushing yards on the night, and only 87 passing yards). Anyone could've QB'd that game for Bosco that could hand the ball off.

Against DLS, DLS was outmatched everywhere, once again, SJB could've put anyone behind center and won.

And yet the claim was he was the reason SJB couldn't do much offensively vs. STA and SJC. Yet they had just scored 49, 42 and 56 vs. Corona Centennial, Mater Dei and De La Salle, respectively en route to the Open Bowl title with him as QB. Clearly, having him as the QB was NOT going to keep them from putting up a boatload of points vs. the relatively-average-in-athleticism defenses they faced most weeks.

In that 2017 season, they did the following with Mitchell as QB on offense:

Week 1, STA: 3 points for the game, including an OT session

Weeks 2-4, vs. California opponents, all of whom played in the playoffs that season: 163 points, good for 54 ppg.

Week 5, SJC: 0 points at halftime, 7 points through 3+ quarters trailing by 10. And then Uiagalelei leads two scoring drives to rescue the win.

No problem lighting up the scoreboard against teams with average athleticism using Mitchell at QB, and then rather dreadful performances against stacked defenses. This isn't meant to come off as particularly exciting or profound insight. It just needs to be said because the narrative around SJB lately has been that they are on another whole level, "tier", then most any other team. With the insinuation being that they'd easily coast to wins against anyone not named Mater Dei or IMG or maybe the Baltimore pro franchise.

I don't doubt SJB outmanned the teams they beat with Mitchell as QB. My point is that there are teams across the country, several of whom may not really even be known or spoken of on this board, who would NOT be outmanned in this way. And I'm talking about the quality of players and athletes some of these teams have now, not what the players are projected to look like after several years of growth, weight training, dieting, etc.

• Like 2

DJ was so good, he got 4 star Joey Yellen who was the primary back-up to Re-Al on the 2016 Title team to become a farmer at St. Mission Viejo before summer camp, 2017. Yellen is now at Arizona State. 

They had a shit ton of talent at QB at that time. Jack Alexander who was 4th on the depth chart that spring before Yellen left played QB at Dartmouth for a year before calling it quits due to health issues. 

Most teams in the nation would love to have one guy with Alexander's talent at QB and he was 4th at SJB.

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Those teams would give any team trouble.

St. John gave Re-Al trouble, DJ not so much, as Bosco scored easily on the two drives he orchestrated against them(Kind of easy to defend  an offense with a QB that can't throw the ball farther than 10 yards if you can't push the other team around upfront. This has been STA the last couple of years)

Re-Al can throw further than just 10 yards.

Now, he might not hit the target though lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Not everybody could run like Re-al though. 

9 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

LOL

Some Cali guys.Re-al was a great running QB. A not so good passing QB. This was even during his state title run. That's what he was. 

He lost me on QB1. I thought he was a douche on QB1. So did his teammates. You could tell in how they treated him, especially when he lost his spot. But, even before like when some guys refused to include him in on a handshake.