Are St. Frances's players amateurs, or has Biff made them pay-for-play pros?

badrouter

Watching the E:60 documentary, I was left wondering exactly when/where the amateurism line might be crossed. Is Poggi paying them to pay? Are the benefits he's offering (housing and whatever else?) enough to render these teenagers as pros? Should we start referring to that team as "the Baltimore professional prep team"?  I don't really have the answers to these questions. What do you all think?

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Watching the E:60 documentary, I was left wondering exactly when/where the amateurism line might be crossed. Is Poggi paying them to pay? Are the benefits he's offering (housing and whatever else?) enough to render these teenagers as pros? Should we start referring to that team as "the Baltimore professional prep team"?  I don't really have the answers to these questions. What do you all think?

Valid question. I have no idea what the correct answer is, but when you’re paying living expenses for amateur athletes it’s a valid question. He’s a great guy for doing it, but it doesn’t mean what’s going on shouldn’t be questioned. 

IMG and Oak Hill have to be involved in this question as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badrouter said:

Are college players amateurs?   

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Are college players amateurs?   

Good question. There are multiple reasonable perspectives. A difference here seems to be that it is one wealthy guy directly gifting players benefits. And that one guy is the coach of the team. Some of the players receiving benefits have moved into the area near the school from other states. Meanwhile, other young men (no girls benefit) who live in the area do not have an opportunity to reap those benefits because they're not deemed to be good enough at football.

7 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Other privates use booster-funded endowments for these same reasons. SFA uses Biff. In the end it’s all the same. And very legal. 

Key word, other “private’s”.   Sure it’s “legal” but certainly not anything a public school could pull off.  

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Other privates use booster-funded endowments for these same reasons. SFA uses Biff. In the end it’s all the same. And very legal. 

If you weren't so poor you could buy your OWN national powerhouse high school football team. 

You seem like the type guy that would do that. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Na Baller, it's not legal for any booster to provide funds to a school specifically for football players only. A private school in NJ can not give athletic scholarships. Some schools give scholarships to ball players and mask them as academic scholarships,  but under no circumstance can you provide financial support solely as a benefit to athletes. Not legal

20 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

Na Baller, it's not legal for any booster to provide funds to a school specifically for football players only. A private school in NJ can not give athletic scholarships. Some schools give scholarships to ball players and mask them as academic scholarships,  but under no circumstance can you provide financial support solely as a benefit to athletes. Not legal

I suspect that gardenball is just trying to defend one of his pgl godaddy clients.

That's the way it works in the political world. 

3 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

This. 

Upon close examination (or, really, just through the use of common sense) it may well become clear that the benefits (housing, transportation, etc) are only accrued by boys who are deemed to be sufficiently good at football, regardless of where their parent/guardian lives. It's not "provide for the kids of this community", It's "Get as many of the best football players we can get by offering whatever is needed to get them to play here".

• Like 1

The key being oversight through a committee. Not one rich guy signaling to star football players on ESPN calling all the shots.

If helping young people truly was the intention, couldn't he fund their tuition to attend a variety of schools? Or, couldn't he pump money into the local public schools? His money is only going towards kids that play football for him. Seems entirely self-serving.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

How’s that? Their record the last three years is almost perfect! And he’s established a pipeline to elite college teams like no other hsfb coach of late. 

Dude...I could coach that team to 10-0.

Watched three or four of his games at Gilman, (where he didn't have 5x the talent of the other sideline) and it was downright painful. He's a simply terrible in-game coach. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Biff’s money goes to everything at SFA. Athletic Dept, capital improvements, teacher salaries, etc.  There’s many ways that this works. Many privates have Big Brother programs whereby a booster pays all expenses for a student/athlete that’s been assigned to them. Happens every day at privates all over America. I actually see advertisements for these types of opportunities in the annual report magazines of some elite privates. 

Does it? Last I heard, they were playing and practicing in terrible facilities. This is the kind of thing that should get more scrutiny through looking at "the books".

What is the process of assigning students to sugar daddy? How is it determined who gets a sugar daddy and who is shit out of luck?