De La Salle Football and the Terror

BobbySanchez

From a California perspective, from 2014 back to 1990's just saying that name alone struck so much fear into the other team.

Before Socal started recruiting like IMG's whore sister, De La Salle would have won the 2013 Open Division had SJB not stocked up and dare I say probably won every California State Champ up to now if SJB and MD did not exist. Maybe Corona Centennial might have won a few years but honestly...CC's play style does not match up with DLS's physical veer offense. So I don't really know. CC is 1-3 against them..

It's hard for you OOS guys to appreciate or really know what I'm talking about. But when teams played De La Salle back in the days they had to face themselves because so many California teams had a mental blockage against them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Jason Negro said in the 2013 game in a recent interview when he saw DLS walk out he felt unworthy and thought they were going to get crushed. SJB thought that! De La Salle man...gotta love a program like that.

Just ask Folsom.  I thought for sure they were gonna put up somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 with that attack they had last year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I said this before man, but my head football coach was this rugby All American star who bench pressed 405 as a senior in high school. When he saw De La Salle against LBP in 2001, he said he never saw a team more disciplined, focus, and full of energy as that Spartan team. Not anywhere in the world, NFL, college, or high school. He was THAT impressed by them. The streak teams DLS had back in those days were untouchable. 

• Like 1

Back in the day, yes. In Norcal, still believe it’s yes. In the State game and Nationally now, not so much. But IMHO opinion, no DLS team since 2003 has been near the streak teams. Maybe the 2015 but then again, they lost to ET so no. DLS started the with the year round conditioning and lifting, now everyone does it. Their strength and conditioning use to be the key and still is but a lot of teams, at least National Powers, all do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DLS350 said:

Back in the day, yes. In Norcal, still believe it’s yes. In the State game and Nationally now, not so much. But IMHO opinion, no DLS team since 2003 has been near the streak teams. Maybe the 2015 but then again, they lost to ET so no. DLS started the with the year round conditioning and lifting, now everyone does it. Their strength and conditioning use to be the key and still is but a lot of teams, at least National Powers, all do it.

Teams were lifting year around back in the 60’s.

Ancich at St. Paul may have started  that 

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Teams were lifting year around back in the 60’s.

Ancich at St. Paul may have started  that 

I’ll have to take your word for that. Lad took over in 1978 I believe and year round strength and conditioning programs in Norcal at least were pretty much non existent. In the early years before the talent got better they beat teams simply by  being in better shape and stronger. I remember reading in the early days that the DLS practices were so hard that the games were pretty easy by comparison. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

You had to not only fight your own inner demons and mental thoughts..BUT the monster across from you called De La Salle. They were really feared and still are back in those days.

It even goes back to the 80's.  I remember running into a couple of guys who had played for Piedmont, I think, a few years after graduation.  One of them said "All I remember about playing you guys was that at the opening kickoff, once all of your guys slapped their pads at the same time, our entire sideline, in unison, said "Oh shit, here it comes".

I also went to college with a guy that played WR for a team we beat in the playoffs.  His response was something like "we really did not know who you were, but after about five minutes we knew we wanted no part of you anymore".

Teams lost before the game even started and we knew that.  Hell, Eidson exploited it.

• Like 1